Adam Driver Set To Play Star Wars Villain

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Adam Driver Set To Play Star Wars Villain

Adam Driver of Girls fame is lined up to play a Darth Vader-like villain in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII.

Adam Driver may not cut the most imposing figure ever but the word on the street is that he's close to signing up to play the Big Bad in Star Wars: Episode VII. Variety has reported that while the deal isn't signed, it's "close," making him the first cast member of the film to be (sort of) confirmed.

Driver has been busy in recent years, appearing in films including Lincoln, Inside Llewyn Davis, The F Word and several not-yet-released projects. He's also a regular on the HBO series Girls, which reportedly caused a delay in the casting: Disney and LucasFilm both wanted him for the job but were concerned about scheduling issues between the show and Star Wars, not just for the current film but in future installments as well, suggesting that Driver's character will be more durable than the one-and-done Darth Maul.

Confirmation of Driver's signing (and, hopefully, the role he will play) is expected within the next few days.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-villain-adam-driver-girls-1201121646/]

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
I could see him as a suave Sith lord, or at least one who doesn't immediately look evil. Never seen the guy act but Im willing to give him a chance

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
... is lined up to play a Darth Vader-like villain in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII.
Any desire I had to see this movie just died. If the villain ends up just being a Darth Vader retread, then I'm not even going to bother wasting my time.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Brian Tams said:
Any desire I had to see this movie just died. If the villain ends up just being a Darth Vader retread, then I'm not even going to bother wasting my time.
JJ Abrams is involved, that should be enough in of itself. His entire schtick since 2005 has been to take an existing product and rehash it with lense flare and 12a rated violence (see: Mission Impossible, Star Trek, Super 8, Star Trek: Into Darkness).

Super 8 was almost awesome, so almost, if only the alien had exacted revenge a little more thoroughly and not turned out to be ET's carnivorous cousin.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I don't hold much interest for the new Star Wars trilogy. But hope the villain will be more interesting than his Star Trek villain... Nero had zero motivation at all.. Oh he is angry that the federation tried to help but failled.. oh and he can,t calm down in 20 years and think, and instand of try to kill anyone i don,t know help his planet... And Khan was completelly unnecessery he could have been anyone else

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Is it me, or does this guy look a little bit like Keanu Reeves in a goatee?

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
fluxy100 said:
I could see him as a suave Sith lord, or at least one who doesn't immediately look evil. Never seen the guy act but Im willing to give him a chance
I mainly know him from an episode of Law & Order, and I thought he did a good job of acting like someone you want to hate.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I just hope it's a good movie.
Chessrook44 said:
Is it me, or does this guy look a little bit like Keanu Reeves in a goatee?
<a href=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeardOfEvil>A goatee is all it takes to be evil you know.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
fluxy100 said:
That's what I was thinking. He looks like the hands-off type of villain. The head Sith that always sits in the background, pulling strings while smiling in your face. Really good at spinning a web of lies.

Of course, that's just his appearance. It's going to come down to how they write his character. If they try to make him the muscle, or hands on, then they are going to have to work pretty hard at it.

Sep 24, 2008
I'll be the first to say it.

*ahem*

"The Force seems... weak with this one

A Grand Moff, yes, most definitely. I can see that with my eyes closed. But when you say a Darth Vader-like character, I think Sith. When I think Sith, I think power hungry. When I think of Driver... I literally think of the exact opposite of those things.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
How shocking! Disney hires a giant wuss who's inexplicably popular with the lady elements of its target demographic for the role of 'world-destroying badass,' you say? This seems very out of character for the company whose previous 'big bad' in Avengers was a mincing, wispy, anemic, almost-certainly gay British dude who dressed himself in fabulous green and gold outfits and whose main power was getting himself locked in prisons by the 'good guys.'

Here's hoping Driver severely ups his game over the next couple of years. That guy is not a talented actor.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Brian Tams said:
... is lined up to play a Darth Vader-like villain in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII.
Same. Darth Vader was awesome, I'm glad we can all agree on that, but there is so much more to be done with this universe. I understand the Sith are a huge deal, but surely they can't be the only bad guys in the entire Star Wars universe. Hell, now that the Emperor is gone, the Empire probably has all kinds of generals left over who are fighting for a piece of the pie that had been reserved for Palpatine. Or perhaps there's some new threat we haven't seen before.

But no, we're going to try and recreate the success of Darth Vader, because that's something that was successful before and thus we know will be successful again.

I. Think. Not.