Adam Orth Resigns Following Always-Online Twitter Comments

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
GAunderrated said:
That is what we are going to find out in May. Did he get fired for revealing it before they tried to spin it like its something gamers wanted or did he get fired for getting microsoft all this negative press?

I personally think its because he hinted at the always-online before the PR department has finished their brainstorm on how to re-brand it. lol.
Definitely. If it wasn't true, even in the slightest most arbitrarily nitpicky of manners, I would expect Microsoft to come out guns-a-blazin' to refute the rumours of the Nextbox being always-online. I think it's a safe bet their silence confirms it's going to be a DRM monster-child.

Anyhow, normally I feel bad for people who lose their jobs over stuff like this, but corporate executives justify their huge pay over normal employees with their claims of always being on the clock. They're salarymen after all! Not lowly plebs. So by their own rationale they don't get to claim they weren't representing their company when something happened, regardless of where/when.

Gregg Johnson

Jul 25, 2012
Mr.K. said:
ScruffyMcBalls said:
Seems a little extreme, firing a dude for acting out of context and being a bit of a cock.
But he wasn't fired he resigned, it's not like the company would force him into doing something he didn't want to do himself, he had complete creative freedom in the matter...
ScruffyMcBalls said:
Mr.K. said:
ScruffyMcBalls said:
Seems a little extreme, firing a dude for acting out of context and being a bit of a cock.
But he wasn't fired he resigned, it's not like the company would force him into doing something he didn't want to do himself, he had complete creative freedom in the matter...
Ah, my bad. Either way, I'd still be glad he was gone if he were under my employ. And the dude's still a moron.
I don't think Mr.K. was being serious.

Yes, they very well COULD HAVE pressured him into resigning. It's PR spin, nothing more. He was "let go". However it's spun doesn't change the fact.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I would hope that any plans to make the console always online got reconsidered with this backlash.

Oh and fuck that guy. It's too easy to be ungrateful for what you have.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
And there be a lesson for dumb people everywhere. If you want to privately joke about with a friend, don't do it in a open for the world to see. For those who think this is harsh are too young tp remember the name Gerald Ratner. A head of a major jewlary bussiness famous for cheap affordable jewlary who. They had shops everywhere, he was a millionare and everything was very, very good. Then at a bussiness dinner for all the major heads of the city he said a little joke "We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap.". The company's stock went into free fall, the press lead with the headlines "leading jewlars says "we sell crap!"" And he lost everything.. Top of the world to the gutter in less then 7 days coz he didn't think what he said. Do I have any sympathy for Orth? Not a bit.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Man, who knew that telling all your customers to suck it could end badly for you? In all seriousness though, did that guy genuinely think that he was privately complaining to his friends or did he actually know that everyone could see what he was saying?

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Yes, I'm sure he resigned much like I did; 'Resign or be fired'. But still, I can't say this isn't a positive thing for Microsoft. Joke or not, anything in regards to their new console would not be taken lightly.

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
Street justice served on a cold platter. I can't say i feel bad. Even though I don't play on consoles I understand this is crunch time for Xbox a Playstation. This is the time consumers are making decisions about which console they are going to purchase and any bad PR, especially when it come to always on DRM, will greatly effect consumer decisions.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
He may have voluntarily resigned after receiving the PR department's internal memo stapled to the decapitated horse's head in his bed.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Out of a job? Well luckily Jim Sterling has the perfect response.

Note: I have no idea whether or not Jim endorses this man's firing, but the Deal With It is too perfect.

Also, this is yet another case of someone not being aware of the consequences of saying shit on social media, private joke between people or not.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think he was let go because of the deal with it comment or even his "verification" of the Xbox being always online. It was the asshat comment of "Why would I want to live in a place like that" where he is just a giant snob that just put down the people with lower incomes or those that like living in more rural areas.

captcha: face the music

too true

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
CriticKitten said:
Oh no!

If he's jobless, that means he may not be always-online any more! How will he use his vacuum cleaner now?
Ok, this really made me crack up :) Also, why is it so hard for these twitter twats to just put a "/sarcasm" tag at the end of their posts?

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Who'd have guessed being an enormous ass to your employer's entire consumer base at once would be a firing offense?
#everybody.ever

Nowhere Man said:
Also, why is it so hard for these twitter twats to just put a "/sarcasm" tag at the end of their posts?
Know what? That is a brilliant idea!

Why has nobody tried just throwing in #jk or something? He might still have a job if he'd had the foresight to #trolling.

...I'm gonna have to remember that one; might come in handy (if I every decide to start using twitter)

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Hah, got what he had coming I see.

Good riddance, if he was too stupid to figure out how to be an exec without making idiotic comments, he doesnt need to be anywhere near the position.
And, given how toxic he is right now, it'll be a long time before he finds a new job.

And... here's your internet cookie for being right.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Hell yeah, I fucking called it.

Not really happy he got fired, but I was convinced when the whole Twitter thing blew up that he wasn't going to walk away from it unscathed. Just another reason that company executives should leave all public releases to the PR department.

Cautionary tale indeed.