Adam Orth To Give Speech On Online Toxicity

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Adam Orth To Give Speech On Online Toxicity

The former Microsoft creative director is best known for his dismissive comments regarding Xbox One's "always-online" requirement.

Adam "#dealwithit" Orth will be giving a speech that explores "toxic online behavior" and why he left Microsoft at this year's GDC Next. The content of his speech is somewhat ironic, considering the controversy that arose following his own toxic Twitter comments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123098-Microsoft-Exec-on-Always-Online-Consoles-Deal-With-it] telling opponents of "always-online" to "deal with it."

"Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an 'always on' console. Every device now is 'always on' #dealwithit"

While the initial comment doesn't seem all too toxic, what angered a lot of gamers was Orths dismissive, almost insulting follow-ups to legitimate concerns regarding always-online. When critics presented the argument that a considerable percentage of the population has zero or poor internet coverage, Orth said "Those people should definitely get with the times and get the internet. It's awesome," adding "Why on earth would I live [in a place with poor internet coverage]?"

Orth subsequently resigned from Microsoft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123206-Adam-Orth-Resigns-Following-Always-Online-Twitter-Comments] following the controversy. Whether the resignation was entirely Orth's decision or "encouraged" by Microsoft is unknown.

The "always-online" requirement was just a rumor at the time. Although it did turn out to be true, Microsoft has recently done a one-eighty on that decision [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125204-Microsoft-Drops-Xbox-One-DRM-Restrictions-UPDATED] following considerable public and critical outcry. Microsoft can probably thank Orth in part for at least some of that outcry.

Orth will give a talk titled "Mob Rules: The Destructive Power of Opinion and Online Community." GDC Next takes place November 5-7, 2013 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

Source: Game Politics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2013/06/19/former-microsoft-creative-director-adam-orth-speak-gdc-next#.UcQAcfmnCql]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Destructive power of opinion and online community?

You mean potential customer feedback? I would've though that that would be really helpful for anyone trying to sell people a product. Millions of people telling you exactly what you want out of your product...

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Online toxicity is no worse than real life toxicity. If someone makes a stupid comment in front of a crowd, that crowd will react badly. Do the same on the Internet and you will get a similar response. In fact, you could say real life is worse since people can and will act up in destructive ways that they can't on the Internet.

Also, Adam, grow up and leave the past behind. You had your chance and failed.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Adam Orth should learn to distinguish between toxic behavior and people disagreeing with him...

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
"Mob Rules: The Destructive Power of Opinion and Online Community."? That had better not mean what it sounds like, because if this moron goes to GDC and spends all his allotted time whining about people not rolling over for big companies and spewing the same nonsense he has built a reputation for I'm gonna lose all respect for the event. Even if its more about "Toxicity" in the sense of people being assholes, he is in no position to talk after the things he has said.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
It seems like he still needs to learn that people aren't just hating him because he is online, but because his stance is stupid. I hope the audience will heckle him!

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Heh, who's trolling whom Mr. Orth? Honestly, the name of your talk should be retitled "Sour Grapes & How I Couldn't Screw My Fanbase."

Also, the title: "Mob Rules: The Destructive Power of Opinion and Online Community." How pretentious can you get?

Since when are my 1st Amendment Rights a "destructive power" that hearkens the demise of civilization? That's not to say everything ever said is sacred, but the right to say it is.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I hope someone asks about his stance on the One80 and how it's pre-orders were being curb-stomped by the PS4.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Right, time to trot this one out:

Is it too much to hope that someone shouts this in the middle of the speech?

Look, don't get me wrong here. I normally applaud such efforts, as I wish the internet could be a more civil place. That said, this particular incident sounds like it has more to do with the lingering bitterness of the speaker than an actual intelligent discourse on the topic.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I think I've seen this before... Yep! Found it.

Honestly, I hope someone asks him exactly how being a pretentious dick to the people who financially support his ex-place of employment worked out for him. And then laugh and laugh and laugh...

Mar 30, 2010
"The destructive power of opinion and online community"? Err, what? So freedom of expression is evil now?

Doesn't sound like ol' Adam is #Dealingwithit too well.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Might tarnish my rep for this one, but.. What an utter twat! Yes, let's all gather up and live in a megapolis with flawless (nosuchthing) internet connection. FFS! I'm sure all the farmers and ranchers just love your train of thought. You know, the people that provide you with nonsensical items like food and clothing. Or do you download those too, mr Orth?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
So I expect his speech will be a roughly 90 minute whine and dine pity party about how the mean old nerds on the internet got him fired and ruined the Xbone.

I've got some online toxicity for him *points to crotch* right here! ...No seriously, I've got a ziplock-bag of battery acid taped to my inner thigh to throw at people just like this guy.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Didn't he try to explain it all away as "joking"? Doesn't seem like he finds it so funny now.

It's not really mob rule without at least one physical lynching.