Adam Orth To Give Speech On Online Toxicity

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Adam Orth, if you are reading this, I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire internet on the fact that we have opinions. I promise that from now on, we'll do our best in buying anything big corporations try to sell us, even if it's fresh poo on a stick for a thousand euros.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
look everyone, adam orth is about to perform his signature trick, he's going to talk out his ass.

this jackass honestly doesn't know when to give up, but he has a certain amount of sway in the industry and like it or not he's gonna use that power to ***** and moan about the evils of people with opinions who react to his childish baiting and trolling. it's incredible that Mr. Toxic himself is giving this farce.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I don't think theres that much overlap in the population that doesn't have a stable internet connection and the population that would be a potential customer for a Xbox One. Sure, it sucks you can't play your games when your connection is out, but that happens like one day in a year on broadband.

And as I said in one of the other threads, he looks like Shaun from Assassins Creed.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
We need too make this happen, a cadre of people in the audience of his speech shrieking "DEAL WITH IT!" at the top of their lungs every single time he whines about people not liking his opinions. That'd be -perfect-

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
This is like giving a bully a job in doing a presentation on the effects of bullying, or a wolf the job of telling how eating sheep is bad. The fact that someone is putting a microphone in this guy's hand is ridiculous. He said some things about a completely impractical idea on his company's part, and unsurprisingly people didn't like it.

He holds an idiotic and plutocratic opinion that doesn't reflect reality. He's spent too much time in a place where such luxuries were commonplace, and has become deluded into thinking that everywhere in the world is like him. The truth is that very few are in such a situation.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Next up, the Pope, speaking on the dangers of paedophilia.

I kid. But really. This is just immature. You say a stupid thing, people lambast you for it, and they should, too. It's not like someone just turned on the ol' Internet Hate Machine and formerly reasonable people started spewing vitriol at a decent proposition. There's a point where you're meant to revise your position and realise that what you're saying is ridiculous.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I hope his entire speech is drowned out is a sea of mocking, booing and/or chants of "shut the fuck up!".

Either that or a completely empty room ... till somebody throws a tumble weed in the room.

Companies are in the business of making us want there products so they can get our money, so they should make products we want ... us shredding the xbone is a good thing to them, isn't it?

Does this guy really think "these idiots don't know what they want, we have to force it on them and only then will they realize how good this is" like Kim Jong-un just feels his country would be better off it was full of size 0 civilians.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
"The Destructive Power of Opinions"? Really? Sorry, you're allowed to have a stupid opinion but you're not immune to criticism for it.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
The destructive power of poor people having opinions that don't match mine, and why I'm great - by Adam Orth

I'd be lying if I said I didn't love this man. If it wasn't for him, I don't think quite as many people would have understood the implications of Xbox One's shitty scheme and their attitude towards their customers.

He laid it out nice and clear.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
Neverhoodian said:
Right, time to trot this one out:

Is it too much to hope that someone shouts this in the middle of the speech?

Look, don't get me wrong here. I normally applaud such efforts, as I wish the internet could be a more civil place. That said, this particular incident sounds like it has more to do with the lingering bitterness of the speaker than an actual intelligent discourse on the topic.
I don't think it's too much to hope. He Was afterall touting the company line while showering his consumer base with contempt, the same consumer base recently vindicated on the same topic against the Whole company he was in.

Should the internet be more civil? Yes absolutely. Is opinion destructive? Oh I dunno, is breathing? And while we're at this, if opinion is destructive then what makes His opinion, the very thing he'll be talking about, any better?

In my opinion, funnily enough, the whole thing just reads like a show of hipocrisy and bitterness. If the Internet has any uncivility to spare, I hope its saved for this guy.

Kiya

Mar 22, 2012
All we need is for a Valve spokesman to do a speech at the same conference on customer relations, customer service, how to listen, respond and interact with your potential customers online in ways that create a positive atmosphere and outcome.

Go on Valve - you know you want to... For science. ;-D

Captcha: last straw. No kidding.

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
First I was classified as a pirate, and now I'm part of an angry mob reigning destruction everywhere i go accross the internet? I wish my online lifestyle was actually as fun and exciting as it sounds.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Oh dear. We'd better call the waahmbulance.

If we have all this power though, can we get Don Mattrick fired too? Because that guy's the bigger asshole.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

Oh man, this is just too rich.

I mean, of all people to discuss this, Mr. #DealWithIt himself.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
It sounds to me like he's giving a speech on "Passing the Buck: How not to take responsibility for my own actions"

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
"Orth, a former Microsoft creative director who now runs his own Orthnation consultancy firm"

Uh-oh, I can't see this going well. What exactly would he be consulting people on?

According to http://wschange.com: This domain orthnation.com has been created / registered the 2013-05-29. It's still not online yet...