Adam Orth To Give Speech On Online Toxicity

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
I...want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He got burned pretty bad, being insensitive to his customers and making what should have been a private joke to a friend, public--a joke that made him look like a gigantic asshole.

And it's possible; he's an asshole. However, maybe he's learned something from the experience and this is his opportunity to share with people what he learned about himself, about speaking to an audience, about what happens when that audience turns on you.

He fucked up. I would hope that this doesn't crucify him for life.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Zachary Amaranth said:
If nobody shouted "Xbox off" at Microsoft's big tent event or E3? It's too much to hope for.
Wouldn't work. They were using promo vids and dev kits at E3. You know, the stuff running off of Windows 7 and doesn't have kinect hooked up.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
That's actually a really good topic for discussion. There is certainly a destructive element and mob rule online, it can get serious with people doing things they would never think permissible in "real life". But I don't know if the person giving the talk is really in the best position to do so, well I guess he does have first hand experience and its not like its a certainty this will be him giving a huge serving of irony.

Still it's a bit like that now edited PAX aus session, it's a little suspicious.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
KOMega said:
Nimzabaat said:
That was a pretty sad day all around.
Microsoft: You can get a triple AAA title for potentially $6.00! (if you have 10 friends)
Gamers: No! We want to pay $60.00!
Microsoft: You understand that $6.00 is LESS than $60.00?
Gamers: Understanding requires effort! We WANT to pay $60.00!
Microsoft: Oh for fucks sake, fine.
Wait, are my friends paying $6.00 too?

Also, there seems to be a nasty rumor that the xbox family sharing thing was actually a glorified demo service and not the actual full game (well, it is the full game, but on a strict time limit.)[still needs confirmation]

I would very much like more information on this payment service you are talking about.

So in layman's terms. You pay $60 for Forza, your friend in Montreal can play it whenever you're not playing it. Your friend in Montreal buys Halo 5?. you can play it whenever he isn't. You each saved 60 dollars by not having to buy those games yourself. But how about you have another friend in, I dunno, Delaware? Berlin? Who buys Titanfall. You and your buddy in Montreal can play it if no one else is. You've saved 120 dollars while being able to play 3 different games. Now imagine there's 10 games you like and you have 10 friends... THAT is something neither WiiU nor PS4 had that gross stupidity has now cost us.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
So in short he will use GDC to stand on a soapbox and ***** and moan how public opinion had cost him his job... and most likely totaly ignoring how much of an asshole he had made out of himselfe before taking a dump on the people that where the reason he had said job to begin with?

Sounds legit.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
SkarKrow said:
Destructive power of opinion and online community?

You mean potential customer feedback? I would've though that that would be really helpful for anyone trying to sell people a product. Millions of people telling you exactly what you want out of your product...
I was confused by this, because I'm not sure what angle he's taking, but it sounds like Herman Cain running a seminar on sexual harassment with the thesis being "bitches want the D."

I mean, maybe he's learned from his mistake? Please? Pretty please?
Ineed I hope so, and I meant to say what they want, hence the striked out you...

Hopefully so because mass customer feedback is hardly a bad thing, it's only bad if you do things the customer doesn't want.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Oh dear. We'd better call the waahmbulance.
Its on its way
WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

OT
but seriously does this guy not understand that we are by no means ready for fully online and all that DRM, and what benefit does it give me the consumer when thats what this industry should be trying to please, the consumers not the publishers

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Nimzabaat said:
But how about you have another friend in, I dunno, Delaware? Berlin?
Wait, didn't the old setup have region locking?

and I don't think I can convince 10 other people to chip in for a game. But that's just a problem on my side.
Other people might be able to do that.

Anyways, is this infographic officially from microsoft?
I'm still waiting on confirmation on the rumor as well.
We need more clarification.
Because this is starting to become a very black and white scenario, whether this feature was good or not to begin with.

Once some official clarification has been given, then I can properly say, yay or nay.

CriticKitten said:
I'll be extremely disappointed if people go to his talk just to shout "deal with it" or the like.

Because you'll only be helping him make his point.

Better to let him do the talk without any help from us, and let him skewer himself on his own spoken stupidity. Dissect his speech online after the convention, certainly, and make sure people know why it was stupid. But don't give him fuel in the middle of his speech. We don't need to give an idiot like this more of a stage to stand on. He needs to be able to say his piece, be called out as the idiot he is, and then fade into irrelevancy.
The way all the microsoft representatives have been speaking to customers so far.
I don't have much hope that they won't accidentally start another fire.
But people still need to give him and whatever other reps a chance. They need all their chances right now.
And if they do start a fire under themselves, well, it's not our fault.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I'm gonna tackle this in stages here...

Nimzabaat said:

So in layman's terms. You pay $60 for Forza, your friend in Montreal can play it whenever you're not playing it. Your friend in Montreal buys Halo 5?. you can play it whenever he isn't. You each saved 60 dollars by not having to buy those games yourself. But how about you have another friend in, I dunno, Delaware? Berlin? Who buys Titanfall. You and your buddy in Montreal can play it if no one else is. You've saved 120 dollars while being able to play 3 different games. Now imagine there's 10 games you like and you have 10 friends... THAT is something neither WiiU nor PS4 had that gross stupidity has now cost us.
This whole thing? This is exactly why Microsoft would never implement the Family Sharing as you think it would've been implemented. Because they would've lost potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars by people just playing entire games off of their friends' libraries. You really think a massive publisher and console manufacturer was going to implement a system whereby their entire playerbase could essentially play almost every game off of one copy? Obviously that's the extreme, but think of it. One person + ten friends. Each of those ten friends has another ten friends. On and on, until eventually we've got upwards of hundreds of people who have been playing Halo 5 off of something like five copies sold. No, they wouldn't do that.

As for "why the fuck" Microsoft weren't yelling about the sharing plan like that image asks? Probably because it wasn't what the entire internet collectively decided to believe it would be. Because it probably was the rumored "full game but only for up to an hour of play and then you're booted out to the Marketplace to be prompted to buy it yourself". Allowing countless numbers of people to play games without ever paying for them would have hurt Microsoft just as much as the used games they would've supposedly been fighting.

Now, the reason why I've quoted two posts.
Nimzabaat said:
That was a pretty sad day all around.
Microsoft: You can get a triple AAA title for potentially $6.00! (if you have 10 friends)
Gamers: No! We want to pay $60.00!
Microsoft: You understand that $6.00 is LESS than $60.00?
Gamers: Understanding requires effort! We WANT to pay $60.00!
Microsoft: Oh for fucks sake, fine.
This? Is not the same math as what you've outlined above.

"I get to share games with ten other people, therefor I'm paying less!" is not how it works. If I pay $60 for a game, I'm still paying $60 for a game, no matter how many other people get to play the same copy. It doesn't matter if I also got to play Madden 25 for free because one of my friends had it, I still paid $60 for Halo 5.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
The funniest thing about this (this is me trying to be positive) is the rationalizing going on. "There's no way that Microsoft could have been serious about this plan. If they were, that would make us look really stupid for rejecting it. So obviously Microsoft's offical statement was a lie."

It's also just a coincidence that Valve is going "what a great idea, we should think about doingthat". And people are getting excited for it because it's Valve and not Microsoft.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
The funniest thing about this (this is me trying to be positive) is the rationalizing going on. "There's no way that Microsoft could have been serious about this plan. If they were, that would make us look really stupid for rejecting it. So obviously Microsoft's offical statement was a lie."
I'm not saying Microsoft's official statement was a lie. I'm saying they were deliberately vague on the subject in the first place. They never outright explained how it would work. They never told us what it would do. All they said was "You can put ten people into your 'family' and they'll see your shared games and be able to play them!"

That's vague, and potentially misleading.

It's also just a coincidence that Valve is going "what a great idea, we should think about doingthat". And people are getting excited for it because it's Valve and not Microsoft.
You realize different people can come up with similar systems separately, right? Unless you want to start positing the theory that the Kinect was ripped wholesale from the PS2 Eyetoy, since they do basically the same thing.

Also, different people are getting excited. Personally, I don't give a toss about either. I've got nobody I would care to 'share' games with on my Xbox account (I don't even have Xbox Live Gold), and I've got very few people on my Steam friends list and even fewer who actually have enough free time to actively take advantage of my games library.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
kailus13 said:
Didn't he try to explain it all away as "joking"? Doesn't seem like he finds it so funny now.
Actually, it was one of his friends who said that Orth was Trolling him. I never bought it, especially since he refused to say he was joking himself.

OT: Adam Orth is going to not be hirable in this industry anytime soon...

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Okay, let's just take a step back here. Maybe he's going to say that he's learnt from this. Maybe he'll talk about how damaging such comments can be, even if they are honest opinion, when connected to companies and not just an individual person.

But of course, if he's gonna ***** about the response he got...that's bullshit. If you're going to present your opinion in such a manner, you can expect to be responded to in a similiar fashion.

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
I think Mr Orth might be a professional troll. He's doing all the things one would do if one were hellbent on pissing off as many people as possible. :D

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
an annoyed writer said:
This is like giving a bully a job in doing a presentation on the effects of bullying, or a wolf the job of telling how eating sheep is bad.
Or making <link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conference_on_Disarmament>North Korea and Iran the leaders of the UN's international disarmament conference.

OT: This is amazing. Either he's going to give the most pathetic whinge-speech ever, or he's going to eat mountains of crow.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
It sounds like he's going to *****, moan, and whine some more. Who wants to see that?