Adam Sandler's a Narcoleptic Would-Be Action Hero

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Adam Sandler's a Narcoleptic Would-Be Action Hero

Adam Sandler is reportedly taking the lead in the remake of Narco, a French action comedy.

Adam Sandler (Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison) is attached to star to a remake of Narco: The Secret Adventures of Gustave Klopp, a 2004 French film. The film follows an ordinary man with narcolepsy who dreams about action heroes each time he falls asleep (which, with the narcolepsy and all, is often). The film follows him as he looks to capture some of his dreamed adventure in his real life.

Sandler's production company Happy Madison is behind the remake, and the script is being adapted by Clay Tarver (Joy Ride). Tarver only has the one writing credit to his name, but has directed for the television sketch comedy program Upright Citizens Brigade, so I'm willing to cut him a little slack.

The trailer for the original French film is, predictably, in French, but still makes the film look both appealing and funny. My high school French permits me to share with you exactly two lines from this trailer: "I'm narcoleptic, and here is my story," and "Something something something good drawing something something."

Source: Collider [http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/new-casting-possibilities-for-ppz-new-adam-sandler-projects-and-the-next-scream-notes-from-the-hollywood-cog.php]

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I've learned to avoid any Happy Madison movies made in the last ten years, pass.

*Glares at Strange Wilderness*

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Sandler is a funny guy, and I've been waiting for him to make another classic for a long time.

Maybe this will be it?

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
TomLikesGuitar said:
Sandler is a funny guy, and I've been waiting for him to make another classic for a long time.

Maybe this will be it?
You forgot sarcasm marks, mate.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Jaranja said:
TomLikesGuitar said:

Maybe this will be it?
Waterboy, Big Daddy, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Little Nicky, and hell, even The Wedding Singer are all awesome movies.

And don't talk to me about sarcasm, lol, I might get banned this time.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
TomLikesGuitar said:
Jaranja said:
TomLikesGuitar said:

Maybe this will be it?
Waterboy, Big Daddy, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Little Nicky, and hell, even The Wedding Singer are all awesome movies.

I haven't seen Waterboy or Billy Madison. The others are cringeworthy, especially Happy Gilmore.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Eh.. Each to their own, but this is an automatic pass since Sandler's in it.

I don't like him, at all.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Adam Sandler can be very entertaining if he isn't too Adam Sandler-y.

He's kinda like Jack Black, Robin Williams and Jim Carry in that regard: Just dial down craziness and they're a terrific screen presence.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Mm.... I dont know French. So unless that gets dubbed or subbed thats not happening for me.

HTough I like Sandler but thats just me. He's got decent qualities for the work he does. So I would see it, if its dub/sub-bed. Plus it looks genuinely good.

EDIT:
Casual Shinji said:
He's kinda like Jack Black, Robin Williams and Jim Carry in that regard: Just dial down craziness and they're a terrific screen presence.
Too be fair, James Carrey has a medical disorder. So he cant really help dialing himself down.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
First of all, why would you remake a 2004 movie? Second of all, some big Hollywood star isn't gonna cut it in a film that was meant to be French. And third of all, fuck Adam Sandler.

Casual Shinji said:
I would argue that Robin Williams at least has been able to show some versatility in his acting, I mean, watch One Hour Photo. Even Jim Carry has shown he can be a bit more serious (although imo in a somewhat uncanny manner). But Adam Sandler? That guy really is my overall definition of "meh".

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Jaranja said:
TomLikesGuitar said:
Jaranja said:
TomLikesGuitar said:

Maybe this will be it?

I haven't seen Waterboy or Billy Madison. The others are cringeworthy, especially Happy Gilmore.
I would probably rate them as:

1. Billy Madison
2. Happy Gilmore
3. The Waterboy
4. Big Daddy
5. Little Nicky
6. Wedding Singer

So, Billy Madison is at least worth a look.

I really think his antics are funny as hell, and Happy Gilmore has some of the funniest scenes I can think of... specifically the part with Bob Barker.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
TomLikesGuitar said:
Jaranja said:
TomLikesGuitar said:
Jaranja said:
TomLikesGuitar said:

Maybe this will be it?

1. Billy Madison
2. Happy Gilmore
3. The Waterboy
4. Big Daddy
5. Little Nicky
6. Wedding Singer

I really think his antics are funny as hell, and Happy Gilmore has some of the funniest scenes I can think of... specifically the part with Bob Barker.
Eh, if he didn't like Happy Gilmore then Adam Sandler isn't for him. I can accept that. What I can't accept is how Sandler hasn't made a movie worth watching since Big Daddy. I might give Click a pass if it had some rewatchability, but it doesn't like those other 6 you posted.

And OMGWTFBBQ Mr Deeds.

EDIT: He should try Waterboy. Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore is practically the same movie. If he didn't like one of them he probably won't like the other. However Waterboy has Henry Winkler and the chick who played Dorothy in the Return to Oz (I thought that was some cool trivia). Also Sandler does a rare job of playing a character (a lame one, true) but he isn't playing himself. All Sandler movies have him playing himself somehow.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
TomLikesGuitar said:
Jaranja said:
TomLikesGuitar said:
Jaranja said:
TomLikesGuitar said:

Maybe this will be it?

1. Billy Madison
2. Happy Gilmore
3. The Waterboy
4. Big Daddy
5. Little Nicky
6. Wedding Singer

I just remember it being about an angry golfer (reminds me of another film he's in... Another one about his anger issues). I didn't find any part of that film funny.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Jaranja said:
I just remember it being about an angry golfer (reminds me of another film he's in... Another one about his anger issues). I didn't find any part of that film funny.
Read my post above yours. Also, the "angry golfer" thing was part of the joke of the movie. I don't know if you've ever tried to watch golf on TV, but I can't imagine anything more boring making it onto broadcast TV. He is also a hockey player who finds he's also good at golf, so that is why he rages all the time. You can kinda tell they were just sitting on the couch one day talking about the differences in sports and decided to make a movie based on what would happen if golf was as cool as hockey. Anyway, it's all those SNL actor's brand of humor. I bet you wouldn't like the Chris Farley movies like Black Sheep and Tommy Boy either.

Oh, I was also going to add 50 First Dates to the list of acceptable Sandler movies since it's a halfway decent romantic comedy, but it's not one of his classics.