Adam Sandler's Ridiculous Six Is Breaking Netflix Viewership Records

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
ron1n said:
I'm just waiting for Sandler to make the inevitable troll film that's basically just a movie about him being a comedian making terrible movies.
The sad part is my first thought was I'd probably give that movie a look. I wouldn't pay to see it but if it was on I would watch it, and I think that's the problem with thouse numbers from netflix

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I watched the movie at 4:00am in the morning when my brain was half awake and I couldn't follow most of what was happening, and I thought it was a okay movie.

Until the next day when I decided to re-watch with my GF and we ended up shutting it off in the first 20 minutes since we couldn't stand how awful it was.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
What's sad is there are things like Futurama and Breaking Bad on there that have been on their for longer but are yet not on that record breaking level like this and that saddens me a bit. Yes, they're TV shows. But they're actually good and their fanbases are fairly decent to talk to unlike other fan bases.
Frankly, I'm surprised more Disney Movies haven't already broken this record given how I expect most parents just tie their kids up, throw them on the couch, and put on whatever kid's show they can immediately find. At least stuff like Mulan and Emperor's New Groove on are NetFlix to keep them busy.
It's just a shame so many people lack good taste. That being said, I imagine some of these viewings were "I want to see how bad it is" or "let's drink every time a joke falls flat".

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ccggenius12 said:
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Rob Schneider is in this movie. Rob fucking Schneider. In an Adam Sandler movie. How is this not one of the least-viewed turdburgers in the history of poor decisions?
I thought Rob Schneider's whole schtick was being the guy who wasn't Adam Sandler that was in all of the Adam Sandler films? Did that stop being true at some point?
No, he has been in nearly every Sandler movie in some capacity. But he isn't the only one. Sandler has a whole entourage of friends that fill out his rosters on a regular basis.

Let's none of us lie, we all wish we were one of them. Money money money mooooney... MONEY. Not like we could do a worse job... and the worse the job the better it seems to fit in so maybe they're doing a perfect job?

SilverUchiha said:
What's sad is there are things like Futurama and Breaking Bad on there that have been on their for longer but are yet not on that record breaking level like this and that saddens me a bit. Yes, they're TV shows. But they're actually good and their fanbases are fairly decent to talk to unlike other fan bases.
Frankly, I'm surprised more Disney Movies haven't already broken this record given how I expect most parents just tie their kids up, throw them on the couch, and put on whatever kid's show they can immediately find. At least stuff like Mulan and Emperor's New Groove on are NetFlix to keep them busy.
It's just a shame so many people lack good taste. That being said, I imagine some of these viewings were "I want to see how bad it is" or "let's drink every time a joke falls flat".
That's actually perfectly reasonable. On there, the individual episodes may not have been watched more than the movie and they also competed with TV as a viewing source since Netflix didn't get them until a year or so later.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Netflix is an annual pay plan + Sandler's films are often considered laughably bad = People will watch shit if it's there

Once you're in the mind set of 'Everything I watch is free' (even though you're paying for it) a lot of people stop caring. I don't really like Family Guy but I'll put it on in the background, I pay for my T.V. might as well use it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
Happyninja42 said:
Mangue Surfer said:
What can I say? There's something about farts jokes...
They stink and remind you of shit?
No, its coarse, rough, and irritating and it gets everywhere.
Me thinks you need to brush up on your basic hygiene my friend! If you are getting farts and shit everywhere. :p

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Mangue Surfer said:
Yeah... And what is shit?! Shit was everything! From caviar to Doritos, to the loveable person on earth to the biggest bastard, everything will be consumed and turn into shit. So farts jokes is the way of mankind laugh at the true nature of existence!

Damn! Let's put Sandler in to the pantheon of cinema geniuses like, Paul W. S. Anderson and Michael Bay!

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Happyninja42 said:
Mangue Surfer said:
No, its coarse, rough, and irritating and it gets everywhere.
Heh, Star Wars references.

Also this news isn't surprising to me. I have a vile bile fascination to watch this due to how horrendous it sounds. Granted, I was gonna borrow someone's Netflix to do it (technically bad, but for him I'll make an exception) but I'm still in the mood for hot garbage.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I dislike Sanders, but the new movie is quite enjoyable. Not something i'd watch more than once, but its worth a gander, the supporting cast are the highlights, Taylor Lautner quite good in the comedic role.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
prowll said:
voltair27 said:
I just went to Rotten Tomatoes.

The film has a 0% rating.

ZERO. PERCENT.

It's THAT BAD.
And yet, 59% of people polled wanted to see it.
I weep for humanity.
Nah, people just want to see something that awful.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Y'know, whenever someone talks about how well TFA is doing at the box office as proof of how good it is, I can just point to this now as a counterpoint.

Nov 28, 2007
thepyrethatburns said:
Y'know, whenever someone talks about how well TFA is doing at the box office as proof of how good it is, I can just point to this now as a counterpoint.
And when you do, I'll point at this movie's 0% RT rating vs TFA's 93% RT rating. I'm not saying that the people who use box office success are wrong, necessarily. You can't judge a movie just by how well it does at the box office, after all. But I always find it kind of confusing that the best selling Star Wars movie of all time, as well as the most well-received critically Star Wars Movie since Empire Strikes Back, is considered not only the worst in the series, but bad movie at all. Not to one's taste, certainly, but there's a difference between that and flat-out bad.

OT: Watched doesn't mean finished, and as I've found out over the years, when companies start throwing out numbers like "most watched" or "most anticipated" without any solid numbers backing it up, they're hiding something. I'm not saying they haven't gotten quite a few views, mind you. But let's say they've gotten 60 million views so far, and each view earns them $10 from ad revenue. Sounds good, but not all of that money goes to Netflix. Let's say 25% of that goes to the cast and crew because they weren't dumb enough to ask for net profit percentages.

$600 million/4=$150 million. $600-$150=$450 million. Assuming no further costs (which there may well be), that might not be enough to cover the cost of the movie, because Adam Sandler tends to use pricey locales as vacation...er, shooting locations.

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
MercurySteam said:
Well if this didn't do it for you I think they're doing a limited run of Hateful 8 in cinemas soon. Not entirely the same premise I know, but I honestly have no clue what is worth watching at the moment.
If this does better than Hateful 8 I think Tarantino might cry.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
From what I understand, Adam Sandler is the Loser's Loser on the Big TV. He's a lowlife who managed to make it big by being a lowlife on TV, and making it somewhat funny. And sticking with his friends.

But there are a lot of lowlifes in the world, and everyone is a lowlife in some part of their lives. I think that's where the appeal comes from.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I'm always skeptical about this stuff since view numbers on Netflix don't really indicate anything that the company can really brag about.

Just because someone chose to view it doesn't mean that they finished it or liked it. My parents checked it out and they couldn't stand more than five minutes of the movie. In addition, most of those who watch and then bother to review it don't seem to care for it.