ADHD Says Goodbye to Studio Ghibli

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
ADHD Says Goodbye to Studio Ghibli

Comedy animators get whimsical to salute (possible) end of anime legend

It's still a bit unclear what's actually happening at Japan's Studio Ghibli. It was reported a month ago that the anime powerhouse would be shutting down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136606-Report-Studio-Ghibli-May-Be-Shutting-Down-Update] in the wake of the retirement of Hayao Miyazaki, but it was subsequently "clarified" that the company is only planning to stop production temporarily to restructure - though it's still not clear what that will entail, and many fans still suspect that one way or another the end has come for the "real" Ghibli.

One group of such fans appears to be the makers of Animation Domination High-Def. The prolific digital cartoon outlet, originally conceived as a challenger to Adult Swim by the Fox network, typically deals in "Goodbye, Ghibli." [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeOS8gK2OZE]

Though popular online, ADHD never quite connected with a television audience. Fox announced earlier this year that the network version of the show will come to an end, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133833-Fox-Network-Cancels-ADHD-Programming-Block] transitioning the franchise to digital-only with plans to use the format for testing out potential new series.

Source: ADHD [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ9pR5yduX4]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I usually don't tear up at much, but something about that made it happen. I'd rather see Studio Ghibli get shuttered if it means that it can no longer produce the sort of work that made it so great in the first place. Seeing the sincerity in ADHD's tribute as well as that of Miyazakis work reminded me how much of special part of my childhood it Ghibli was apart of. Also how amazingly varied Ghiblis work is/was. I hope one day we get someone like Miyazaki for video games. Someone that has the confidence in their own skills to tell wildly different stories that are still very personal to everyone that sees it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The internet seems like it might be the only place where traditional animation still has a home.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It would of been better if they actually pronunce Gibli right (Gibli not Jibli).

Still I kind of find it suprising they are capable of making serious animation since I known them to making the usualy dick jokes on the scientify accurate themesong of a cartoon animal show. Yes I saw that bit on Pom Poko but come on, that is so true about Pom Poko!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
My feels, THEY BURN!

I'm already subscribed to ADHD I think, their 'Scientifically accurate Thunder Cats' was really funny.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
RA92 said:
Porco didn't fly a jet!
Yes, but the film was originally intended to be shown on commercial jet flights.

It was interesting how the sequence deviated so much from their normal tone . . . until they got to the tanuki scrotum.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
shadowxvii said:
Scarim Coral said:
It would of been better if they actually pronunce Gibli right (Gibli not Jibli).
Go say that to everyone trying to say GIF correctly ;)
Jif makes no sense. You don't say "I'll give you a Jift for your birthday" JIF = Peanut Butter, GIF = image file type.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I still feel like Castle of Cagliostro, done before Ghibli was founded, was Miyazaki's best film. And it wasn't the first one I saw.

P.S. Thanks

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Actually "Jibli" is the proper way to pronounce Studio Ghibli. The company spells its name in Japanese as スタジオジブリ. The "ジ" is the "ji" sound in Japanese. If they pronounced it with a "g" they would use different kana.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Covarr said:
I still feel like Castle of Cagliostro, done before Ghibli was founded, was Miyazaki's best film. And it wasn't the first one I saw.

P.S. Thanks
I don't know what's more amazing. The fact that someone actually remembers that Miyazaki co-wrote and co-directed Castle of Caglitostro, or the fact that someone remembers not only Lupin III and one of it's movies. You have no idea how sad it makes me feel when I say stuff about Lupin III and no one gets it. I shouldn't feel old, I'm only 20! T^T

OT: When I saw the part about Graveyard of the Fireflies I got flashbacks to my first 3 years of Japanese in high school, in which I had to watch the movie once a year. I already felt like ripping my heart out after watching the first one, the second and third times were overkill! >.<

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
syaoran728 said:
Scarim Coral said:
Actually "Jibli" is the proper way to pronounce Studio Ghibli. The company spells its name in Japanese as &#12473;&#12479;&#12472;&#12458;&#12472;&#12502;&#12522;. The "&#12472;" is the "ji" sound in Japanese. If they pronounced it with a "g" they would use different kana.
Yeah, I believe Miyazaki once explained that they mistakenly assumed that the Caproni Ca.309 Ghibli aircraft's name was pronounced with a 'j' sound and named their studio after it.