Adorable 3 Year-Old Experiences Harsh Justice in Skyrim

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Myrph said:
To Sixcess, would you prefer this child was exposed to TV and magazines which promote the sexualisation of children and women, teaching her that the only way to get through the world was through beauty and perceived attractiveness.
The kid is 3 years old, so seeing as it'll be a few years before she could so much as read those magazines, or pick up anything lasting from television I'm not seeing that it's a valid argument.

The Random One said:
Congratulations! You watched the video without reading any of the seven paragraphs that accompany it, and made an inflamed response to it! You are now Mayor of the Internet. Awaiting orders, sir.
Actually I did read it. The way you can tell that I read it is that I quoted that part about the 'family of gamers'. I also read the obligatory disclaimer by the parent that always accompanies youtube vids of kids doing age-innapropriate things. Doesn't mean I believed it or agreed with it.

Sorry, but the idea that a violent M rated RPG that sometimes has consequences is a good learning tool for a 3 year old is nonsense and wishful thinking. May as well say that GTA teaches you that the cops will arrest you if you embark on a random shooting spree or run someone over.

The cynic in me says that this story is getting an easy ride because it's Skyrim and half of the Escapist is currently infatuated with Skyrim. If it was GTA or CoD it'd be a different story, I suspect.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
i feel a disturbance in the force and it's almost like it's fox news related.
shutters
well she learned hurting people is bad or as she simply put "people don't want to be sworded".
a child understand the difference between reality and fantasy matter more then the age rating of a game. that being said age 3 is a wee bit young for skyrim. i mean it has blood and violence at least wait till there older like 10

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I will admit I was feeling the creepies watching this at first, but her comment at the end sold it for me. She genuinely came out of that having learned something on consequences. This girl will go far, beyond just cuteness alone.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i don't want to be THAT guy, but i'm not convinced she was actually playing... i think it might have been the dad. first of all, her command "sword him" seemed aimed at an external person, not a command to herself, but the most damning...

watch the video, pause it when you see the controller, 0:23 was a good time for me, i don't see the ring of light on the controller lit at all...

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Myrph said:
To Sixcess, would you prefer this child was exposed to TV and magazines which promote the sexualisation of children and women, teaching her that the only way to get through the world was through beauty and perceived attractiveness.
I fail to see how this is an either-or proposition.

Sixcess said:
The cynic in me says that this story is getting an easy ride because it's Skyrim and half of the Escapist is currently infatuated with Skyrim. If it was GTA or CoD it'd be a different story, I suspect.
Well, Grand Theft Auto maybe. If it were Call of Duty it would probably be more about people saying her parents have bad taste in games.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Sixcess said:
Aww, how cute. The unarmed man asked her to go away and she shouted No a few times then killed him with an axe. A valuable lesson in conflict resolution has been learned... right?

Sorry, but I'm gonna be the guy that says this is totally inappropriate for a child. I don't see how this is different from the ever popular "I saw a dumb parent in Best Buy picking up Black Ops for her 10 year old..."

I hope this is a one off, and not how her 'gamer family' juggle looking after a 3 year old and playing Skyrim, or any other game, at the same time.
YES OH GREAT SENSEI, please tell us how to properly raise children. We've honestly just been guessing up till now.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Sixcess said:
Aww, how cute. The unarmed man asked her to go away and she shouted No a few times then killed him with an axe. A valuable lesson in conflict resolution has been learned... right?
Uh, yeah actually? The guards came and immediately killed her. Showing you can't just go around and axe someone with no consequences. I'd say it was a perfect lesson.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
Education at its finest, courtesy of video games. A much more valuable lesson than anything I ever learned at school. Gamer Dad, I salute you.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Well, I've learned a valuable lesson: People don't want to be sworded.

Its a valuable life lesson, I'm serious. The idea of resorting to swording a person just to get them out of my way is just terrible. Props to you, Carl Douglas! Fellow gamer and smart father!

:)

skorpion352

Apr 6, 2008
martyrdrebel27 said:
i don't want to be THAT guy, but i'm not convinced she was actually playing... i think it might have been the dad. first of all, her command "sword him" seemed aimed at an external person, not a command to herself, but the most damning...

watch the video, pause it when you see the controller, 0:23 was a good time for me, i don't see the ring of light on the controller lit at all...
look again, you can clearly see it lit at about 4-6 seconds

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Sixcess said:
You may have a point if the child was alone with the game. Fortunately, she was not, and it is clear that the father was not only supervising but went on to clarify with the child her experiences afterwards.

This is what people mean when they talk about good parenting. It's not about shielding the child from the (inevitable) experiences of the world, it's about guiding them through it. For instance, if she had come up with the wrong lesson from her experience (for instance, being upset at the guards for ruining things for her), then it's the parent's job to step in and correct that behavior.

Your counterexamples are also a bit heavy-handed. No one is claiming that all M-rated games are acceptable; on the contrary, in order to prove the strong version of your argument, you need to show that no M-rated games are acceptable. (I don't think anyone expects that - just be careful and clear about your claims, or risk being misunderstood.)

Moreover, there are key differences between your examples and Skyrim. Skyrim is a game where much of the player's actions are based solely on their own agency, with very little to no suggestion. She chose to "sword" the guy based on her own will, through no direction given by the game (or her father, so at all really), and so the punishment was hers and hers alone to bear. Contrasting to this, in Call of Duty, it is impossible to not play as a soldier who is directed to kill enemy combatants, with impunity and without remorse. That is, this can lead to difficult parenting situations (even via mere observation); e.g., "Daddy, why are you shooting those guys?" is much easier to explain in the context given by Skyrim than the context given by Call of Duty. Really, it's more about context than content.

(Meanwhile, GTA is a more complex example; on one hand, it's theoretically possible to end up with the same situation of crime-and-punishment and the lesson learned, on the other hand, there's a button to take peoples' cars, which is barely punished by the game, if at all - which is a huge crime in real life. In practice, I believe its surreal nature is so far removed from our own reality that it would be difficult to reconcile the game actions and real life actions, especially given the pervasive nature of crime without punishment in the game. In any event it doesn't pass the, "Why?" test, above.)

(Edit - formatting for readability.)

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
That was so adorable. Also, great parenting. Why can't more parents be like that?

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
"People don't want to be swordd"
A child can understand this, but not the human race!?
Give that kid a Nobel Peace Prize. I think Obama has one he isn't using.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Parenting done well. Though I personally probably would not allow a 3 year old to play games like Skyrim; the father clearly seems responsible enough to correctly judge what he feels is appropriate for his child. All the while getting a vital moral lesson across about the conciquences of using violence in real life. Now if more parents did this type of thing instead of lobbying governments to remove anything that could possibly harm the fragile minds of the children because they cannot be bothered to monitor this stuff themselves, the world would be a better place.