Adult show/movie references in kids' shows.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
One thing I find interesting is when shows for kids make references or parodies of decidedly non-kid-friendly shows or movies.

Arthur, the PBS cartoon, has parodied South Park and The Sopranos, both very, VERY much not shows for kids.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This nothing new and still happens today, Just not as much as in the late 80s, 90s, or early 2000s. The 90s were guilty of this the most. Do you know how many The Shining references were done in kids shows?

Arthur, the PBS cartoon, has parodied South Park and The Sopranos, both very, VERY much not shows for kids.
They also had a Take That against Beavis and Butthead, when it was at the height of its popularity.

Powerpuff Girls had several references to adult entertainment and shows as well. They threw in a small South Park reference during the show's 2nd season.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
MLP does a lot of that.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
In Space Jam in the second round, Elmer and Yosemite Sam shoot out one of the Mon-Star’s teeth dressed in black suits and sunglasses ala Pulp Fiction. Even plays a few bars of Miserlou to hammer the reference home.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Look no further than Regular Show. That one was almost made with it in mind.
While we're at it, I'm gonna raise you a show that was entirely made with this in mind, Rocko's Modern Life. The restaurant in the show is called the Chokey Chicken and our main character worked as a sex phone line operator and so much more.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Father of the Pride 1 Season 14 episodes 2004. It's a freakin animated feature with talking animals... and a ton of sex and drug aspects to it.

There are spoofs of Sigfreid and Roy that I recall liking a lot, included in this clip.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Father of the Pride 1 Season 14 episodes 2004. It's a freakin animated feature with talking animals... and a ton of sex and drug aspects to it.

There are spoofs of Sigfreid and Roy that I recall liking a lot, included in this clip.
Wasn't the target audience of that the same audience for like 'family guy' though?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Wasn't the target audience of that the same audience for like 'family guy' though?
"Protest from the Parents Television Council

In October 2004, the Parents Television Council's launched a campaign against Father of the Pride. Reasons cited for their opposition were the aforementioned use of anthropomorphic animals and the use of "from the creators of Shrek" in their promotions. The film in question was seen by the Council as much more family-friendly than this series, which the PTC stated could inadvertently draw the wrong audience based on the way it was promoted by NBC. Their campaign led to over 11,000 complaints to the Federal Communications Commission.[27] In March 2006, the FCC ruled that the show was not indecent.[28]"

Both points make sense: could this have been better marketed to the Family Guy fans?
Family Guy is all over the place now, but I think back in the day, it wasn't on until after the 8PM family hour (9PM). While if I recall correctly, this was on at 8PM.

Not that times matter anymore. Streaming allows one to watch anything legal at anytime of day. Over your TV, desktop, laptop, tablet or phone.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Can't find an exact clip, but in one episode of MLP: Friendship is Magic, "Swarm of the Century", they directly reference Blazing Saddles, when Twilight Sparkle comes up with her master plan. "We need to build an exact replica of Ponyville right over there! We've got less than a minute!"