Adventurer! The Old School Revival Bundle of Holding Needs Your Help

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Adventurer! The Old School Revival Bundle of Holding Needs Your Help

What have we here? DRM-free .pdf RPG books, you say? Plus seven more titles if you pay over the odds?

Okay folks, you know the pitch by now so repeat after me: I solemnly swear, on my honor as an Adventurer, that the Old School Revival Bundle of Holding shall be mine, or I shall die in the attempt. Return with your shield or on it, is what I'm saying. For a mere $3.95 minimum you can get these old-school D&D style DRM free .pdfs: Tomb Of The Iron God, Swords and Wizardry - that includes the Eldritch Weirdness Compilation and the Reloaded editions - plus the OSR tool kit with all the one-page dungeon goodness and other useful tidbits you could wish for.

But let's say that gold pieces bulge out of your backpack, and you feel the need to give over and above the odds. The current average is $13.68, and if you hand out more than that, then you get access to the bonus stuff. What treasures lie within? Adventurer Conqueror King [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115964-Adventurer-Conqueror-King-Kickstarts-the-Players-Companion], for a start, scribed by Alexander Macris, Tavis Allison, and some knave whose name I can't quite make out. Greg Something-or-other, I think.

Perhaps that's not enough for you. Well what about Demonspore, a race against time to stop Shroom cultists from establishing a new god? Stonehell Dungeon, a megacomplex filled with peril, and glorious loot? You get its two supplements as well, adding Brigand Caves and Buried Secrets to the mix. How about The God That Crawls, for those who like their fantasy touched with a little Weirdness? Or Vornheim: The Complete City Kit, for those times when the adventurers insist on crawling out of the dungeon and into civilization, in search of that rarest of treasures, a hot bath?

A portion of your payment goes to the Cancer Research Institute and the Parkinson's Disease Foundation, so you're not only plaguing your players, you're also helping out some folks who really need it. This thing runs for three days and a bit, so go forth! The fate of the realm is in your hands, adventurer!

Source: Bundle of Holding [http://www.bundleofholding.com/index/current]

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
This isn't a Humble Bundle, is it?

Edit: just checked, nope two seperate companies, anyhoo I'll give this one a miss. Personally don't like books unless they're on paper and I really can't be bothered to print out all these.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
happy_turtle said:
This isn't a Humble Bundle, is it?

Edit: just checked, nope two seperate companies, anyhoo I'll give this one a miss. Personally don't like books unless they're on paper and I really can't be bothered to print out all these.
Pretty much the same. I got started into digital books and bought a metric crap ton of them, and never read them because I just like the feel of a book in my hands when I read one.

MysticMongol

Sep 29, 2011
Nothin' like the OSR, turning its back on every development in RPGs since the 70s.

I like supporting developers who are trying new, exciting, daring innovations in games, and the OSR is pretty much the opposite of that.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
MysticMongol said:
Nothin' like the OSR, turning its back on every development in RPGs since the 70s.

I like supporting developers who are trying new, exciting, daring innovations in games, and the OSR is pretty much the opposite of that.
This comment is the pen-and-paper equivalent of a CoD dude-bro ragging on indie video games for being "backwards" because they don't adhere to the AAA cookie-cutter FPS model that is all he's ever known. Congratulations for proving that the gulf between the two gaming communities is not as large as it may sometimes appear!

MysticMongol

Sep 29, 2011
craddoke said:
This comment is the pen-and-paper equivalent of a CoD dude-bro ragging on indie video games for being "backwards" because they don't adhere to the AAA cookie-cutter FPS model that is all he's ever known. Congratulations for proving that the gulf between the two gaming communities is not as large as it may sometimes appear!
The OSR is a celebration of the 70s, of Gygaxian dungeons full of monsters that appeared in one of the first three fiend folios. It calls itself a movement, but ironically, it is all about staying still.

There's a lot of exciting games out there. Tenra Bansho Zero causes characters to become increasingly entangled in the world's affairs as they spend experience to gain power or pull success from failure, but players can put off a descent into madness by betraying their ideals, falling in love, or giving up on their allies... character growth and development is an absolute prerequisite to gaining levels. 13th age marries a very traditional d20 combat system to an empowering story system where players introduce more NPCs than the GM does and the world is far stranger than Greyhawk or Blackmore ever were. Fiasco is an entirely story driven affair in which players work together to tell a story about their characters plans falling apart, and the goal is not the improbable success, but to have a disaster that everyone will remember fondly. Ryuutama charges players to go on a journey of personal exploration, and has achievements in the form of a dragon that grows over the course of the campaign. Unknown Armies is set in the bleak and unforgiving early 2000s, where players are wizards who gain their unique abilities from their inability to accept reality and their inherently self-contradictory worldviews, like the mage who drinks to be safe, or the actor who can put on any face but her own. The rules stand as ugly stumbling blocks to the players, and combat is messy, undignified, and can end with everyone dead very easily. Meikyou Kingdom reinvents the dungeon crawl by expanding the dungeon to the entire planet, and charging the players with clearing dungeon space to expand one of the surviving human settlements as classes like Princess, Blacksmith, Wizard, and Happymancer.

Meanwhile, the OSR is carefully polishing the same gilded egg they've been polishing for forty years. Will this dungeon be the tower of a wizard, or the fortress of a demon lord? Or maybe the exotic seraglio of a Rakasha? Will the third chest be guarded by a vampire, or just a troll? Will the poison dart trap be on the chest or the door? Will the strange prophecies on the tapestries be what the necromancer midboss is trying to bring about, or a worrisome foretelling of the dark days millennia ahead? Just how many orcs will be on the wandering monster table? A brain-dead COD Junkie just can't appreciate the subtle flavors of marching into a dungeon and killing everything inside for their stuff! With these imaginative, innovative module writers working their hardest, there's no limit to what innocent looking object can actually be a magical trap that explodes when touched, dealing 3d8 cold damage! In the last one it was a painting of a demon, but I bet we can dare the impossible dream and make a waterfall that's a secret fire trap, if only enough people support exciting OSR modules with their donations!

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
MysticMongol said:
craddoke said:
Blah Blah Blah Something about story games rather than rpgs Blah Blah Blah
Two points:
1. Basically, you're just saying that those in the OSR movement care more about creating new content than reinventing the wheel (i.e., yet another set of resolution mechanics) for the umpteenth time. And you are right.
2. Story games involve role-playing, but they're not games; therefore, they are not RPGs.