Adventurers of the Inquisition: A Dragon Age RP (started)

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
"Oh I could do with a good 'eating'...It's been far too long."

Raven tilted her head slightly to the left in a curious pose. She wasn't sure what she was talking about. There was plenty of food right on the table.

"I'm far more interested why a Captain is far from the sea, and is without a ship or crew?"

"Hmm...?", Raven was stuffing her face with the sweet pastries served at the table when Von asked her a question. She stopped chewing, gulped down the whole mess of bread, butter and jam and greeted him with a sugar-stained smile. Her deft hands retrieved some more of the pastries and hid them down her deep pockets. "What ship? What captain? I'm here for the sweets-", their employer gave them the job description, "-and to do that".

The shifty elf gave her a wicked invitation, to which she nodded and winked several times. "Oh, right now?", she asked loudly and walked off to speak with the lanky elf in private.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
With as much quiet as there could possibly be in this dank corner his eyes stared Raven down and asked her what at first appeared to be a straightforward question. "Have you ever killed a person before? Understanding your views is important, please. If you can't answer I'll leave and look over the map." He began to turn his back to her, almost not anticipating one.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Raven tugged at the edge of the elf's shirt as he turned to leave. She saw the others - murderers, each and every one, especially the elf.

"Everyone is a bloody murderer", she whispered to him, "My only virtue is I don't look like one".

She walked away from the elf and returned to the table, her pockets stuffed with delicious sweets. "What are we all waiting for, then?", she asked the rest of the group and lunged at the the map, "move your asses and get out. The faster we stop jerking off the closer my next binge gets-", she poked the viplage at the map,"-off we go!".

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
"I'll take a shot and say you're a mage, correct? If that's why you're asking, then no, I don't follow the Qun. I've worked with Tal-Vashoth who explained it to me, and that told me enough. Live my life as dictated by some musty Codex written by others long dead? Not bloody likely."

Ashtalan nodded, a bit hesitant to say it out loud, but then again, the others there had likely either suspected it, or would find out as soon as something happened either way.

"Yeah, I'm a mage," he replied, as she made her way over. Kari walked behind him, putting her arms over his chest and whispering into his ear, in response to his -hopefully apparent- jokingly flirting.

"While the compliments are welcome love, sad to say you're not my type."

It didn't take Ashtalan long to figure out just what that meant. Or, what he thought it meant, either way, and he just chuckled.

"Oh, that's fine," he replied, as she ruffled his hair. "I just thought I might try it out. Being friendly, and all that." From the tone of his voice, a playful, teasing one, it sounded like that likely was true. It was, after all, for all he knew, this might just be a more pleasant part of a nightmare.

It shouldn't be, everything's looking fairly normal right now. Then again, do I even remember what normal is supposed to look like? Probably not.

He perked his ears when he heard that Calien was speaking again, though gave no indication this time that he was listening. Kari had gone back to where she stood before, though he had to admit that he was relieved to hear that she didn't follow that "musty Codex".

"The best route is on the map, as I said I'd advise you get what you need and head out soon, while the sun's still up. Just remember you're representing the Inquisition here so please try to act appropriately."

"Alright then," he replied and stood up. He checked his stuff, making sure that some thief hadn't taken the chance to stick their hand in his pocket while he was listening. Not that they'd make it far either way, Ash' senses was a little warped, but n a way that often made him more alert rather than less. Deciding that everything was there, he waited for the rest to get ready. Von and Berund was discussing the blizzard.

"By Andraste, this damn blizzard better not have any surprises for us ... Hmm, could we plan for that?"

"move your asses and get out. The faster we stop jerking off the closer my next binge gets, off we go!"

"I'd hate to repeat what the lady said," Ash replied, smirking. "But what the lady Raven said. We'd be better off trying to get there before the blizzard comes than after. You can't make plans for a blizzard, apart from getting some warmer clothes, I suppose," he said, shrugging. He was already wearing furs, so he didn't need to worry about it, but some of the others...

"Besides, we'll probably see it coming if it does, and I have some decent ice salve, so in an emergency we could at least make sure that no one gets a nasty frostbite and has to amputate their foot," he remarked, in a light-hearted manner.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
"But what the lady Raven said..."

"Who, me?", she laughed out loud and splattered ale through her nose. She wrinkled her face when her nose started to burn up and frowned at Ash. "I'm no lady and now my nose burns like a campsite fire", she looked around the room with a certain spark in her eyes. She went off without a sound to the drunks behind her and then appeared out of nowhere with a fur coat four sizes too big. She talked while a series of cries for help and accusations of theft came from the crowd.

"Right, I won't be losing my foot now, so lets go!".

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
"Oh I could do with a good 'eating'...It's been far too long." Nola couldn't help bur raise an eyebrow at that. With a smile and a over exaggerated wounded tone Nola put a hand over her heart. "Ohhhh I know your pain m'lady." She winked at the Giantess before turning her focus to the task at hand. The blizzard was her main concern, even if they were prepared it wouldn't do to get caught in the blizzard. She had a cloak but that could only do so much.

"Besides, we'll probably see it coming if it does, and I have some decent ice salve, so in an emergency we could at least make sure that no one gets a nasty frostbite and has to amputate their foot."

She raised an eyebrow at that. "Aye that'll help." She said with a nod. "If we're lucky the village will have an in or a barn big enough to fit us all, Ancestors willing there will be a decent cave." She thumbed her ax, thinking. Her only other worry was dry wood for a fire should the need arise, with luck there would be enough. Too much rides on chance...not much we can do now though. She nodded to herself. "The lass said it best, let's get movin."

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
"Everyone is a bloody murderer, my only virtue is I don't look like one."
This seriousness caught Jarrett off-guard. The one he seemed most cynical of may prove to be a greater ally than most he'd dealt with.

Raven, Von, Kari, Nola, Berund and Ash he counted to himself. What seemed to be a fortunately pleasant company respective to the usual scum he makes use of.

Walking to the table Jarrett heard one by one each of this party readying themselves. "Ready for the worst", a polite wave to the rest of the group accompanying this. If they were to get caught in a blizzard they'd have to adapt and there are few creatures in the world that wouldn't have the same handicap, comforting him should they face hostility.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
When Calien pulled out the map, Kari made her way over, getting a good look at where they were to be going. Satisfied, she went to the bar, and exchanged a few words and some coin with the bartender; payment for keeping her gear secure while she?d seen about the job. He hefted a sizable pack and a two handed sword on to the bar with a thanks from Kari.

Opening her pack she withdrew a heavy woollen cloak, and a sealed metal pot with a wrapped brush. Opening the pot, and unwrapping the brush, she worked from memory, applying blood red vitaar to her face and neck. Once that was done, she capped the pot and brush, and put them away before donning the cloak and pack. Her sword, she carried like a farmer would carry a rake, with the flat of the blade against her shoulder; with that she stepped outside.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
"By Andraste, this damn blizzard better not have any surprises for us...Hmm, could we plan for that?"

"Oh, the cold is easy to fight against, so long as you pack more layers for your back," Berund nodded, and motioned towards his pack. "Yes, some furs and a fire should do. And if we find ourselves really desperate, we may just have to huddle together for warmth." The dwarf took a moment to consider that scenario though quickly shook the thought from his mind. He took a gulp from his tankard and continued, "Probably not how anyone here would expect to make friends on this job. Though I imagine it's crossed someone's mind," he added quietly, nudging Von and nodding towards the female Qunari, recalling the rather lewd suggestion she made just moments before. "Anyway, I'd like to have that map if you don't mind. It looks like we're just about ready to get movin'."

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
"But what the lady Raven said. We'd be better off trying to get there before the blizzard comes than after. You can't make plans for a blizzard, apart from getting some warmer clothes, I suppose,"

Giving a nod to Ash, Von would like to leave quickly too. The suggestions Berund offered were handy. Von had little experience with a cold or snowy environment, so he was plenty happy that someone here knows how to survive. Listening to the advice made him realize that the hooded cloak he wore was quite not too thin. A sudden thought had struck him, ("This is the most I've talked since then.") Happy with that improvement, he smiled, and not just at the remark at Kari.

"Anyway, I'd like to have that map if you don't mind. It looks like we're just about ready to get movin'."

"... yes ... that would be good." Von said, allowing the scout to keep the map. The Templar in denial was glad that the map was off him, the hate that it would create if he lost it would be terrifying. Taking a final gulp of his water, Von let out a satisfying gasp. "I wonder what her type is exactly?" Von said quietly, but Berund would be able to pick it up. Leaving a pause, and realizing what he said, Von tried to cover it up. "I mean ... the mage, Ash, could help with the fires." He said more louder.

Taking a deep breath, he was ready too. Tightening his cloak, he looked back at the Inquisition scout. "Once complete, where will we meet again? Otherwise, we're off."

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
A Stormy Mountain Trail

The odd group soon made its way towards their destination, the smooth overland road transitioned quickly to a rough mountain trail slowing progress greatly. In places it would smooth out for a time but then just as quickly they would find themselves struggling over seemingly innumerable switchbacks and rocky unstable footing that made even the short downhill parts of the path difficult to navigate. Still it seemed safe enough so far aside from the occasional chill wind coming from the North, heralding the dark clouds gathering on the horizon.

By the second day it was becoming clear that the old innkeeper's instincts had been right, heavy snow had begun falling earlier in the morning and the wind was making it difficult to see, the constant flurries obscuring the groups vision as well as any fog. The cold in particular was especially hard on the Qunari (or rather Vashoth) members of the group, their race's homeland was a warm tropic clime after all, and while living to the south of that had acclimatized them somewhat they remained somewhat more vulnerable to the cold weather.

The lights of the village, their destination, glimmered through the wind and snow some distance ahead. No doubt in this weather then village's inhabitants would all be holed up indoors. Still they were almost there, though the comfort of this knowledge was dampened somewhat as the howling of the wind was joined by animal voices. The group had until now not been troubled by wild beasts, though that seemed about to change. The howling was close but no wolves could be seen yet, the storm obscuring them from sight.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Ash was relieved that he had brought the cold salve, as it got colder than he had expected. He had allowed those who wanted some to do so, it was almost strange how a small amount of salve could make the cold seem a lot less severe. While they couldn't see too much when walking, the group as a whole had done great, though the amount of white snow and fog had taken its toll on his mind, tiring it. It was so much easier to imagine all the worse things when the world around them was a blank canvas, and the fog reminded him of the fade.

He also hadn't gotten much sleep, both because of the cold -and therefore, need of movement to keep warm- and because of nightmares, forcing him awake almost the instant he fell asleep. Being awake made it more and more difficult to keep ignoring the sounds he kept hearing, and he had no way of telling what they were or where they came to, or even if the others could hear them. However, the company of the group made it easier for Ashtalan to keep his mood up, even if he was sleep deprived and his head was currently more than a little foggy. A comfort, if nothing else.

As long as they don't worry.

Ashtalan had little desire to make his new-found travelling companions worry about his mental well-being.

When he saw the lights of the village, it was the most pleasant sight he had seen for what felt like more than two days. However, the new-found eagerness was stifled quickly when he heard sounds again, these sounded like beasts. Looking around, he tried to determine whether the others could hear it this time on their reaction, or lack of reaction.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
The blizzard and trek may have waned Jarrett's patience but the sounds of beasts demanded a little more of him. The scout mentioned something about animals with unusual behaviour and knowing the luck they've had with the blizzard was beginning to prepare for the worst.

If there were hostile beasts they could attack any moment. He quickly began alerting the group of his suggestion should things be as bad as they seem. "Sounds could be what the scout mentioned. House, fence, cliff, whatever, find cover. Maybe funnel these hypothetical beasts if that's what we're hearing. Better ideas?"
As much as he wanted to with the blizzard he would rather not risk revealing their position to this unknown sound. "Might seem obvious but don't lose sight of each other. Someone says 'Nutter', that's me."

StormShaun

Feb 1, 2009
The cold environment was an adventure to Von, in his find he often compared it to the scorn of his sisters. He would talk about it in his journal when they would camp. The memories of his sisters hurt, but he kept on writing in the pages, filling it for hope of himself. At the first camp, Von's cloak came in handy, it was a handed to him by a larger man who ran a caravan of supplies. Von guarded it, and killed a couple of crazed, badly armed people, presumed non-soldiers. Von couldn't help but cut them down and put them out of their misery.

Still, this earned him the elven forest-coloured cloak, and with the big size, it made a excellent cover from the harsh crisp air. On the second day, snow, it was as if balls of harsh light fell from the Golden City, until it hit the group, then it's cold really came down on them. Most of the time Von held his hood, to stop it blowing away, and using the other hand to keep his cloak around him, for he did not want to have to clean his armour much.

Von was thankful though, this adventure was proving better than a solo journey, especially since they had not only a mage, but a scout. He was very thankful to Berund and Ash for what they did, even if he was quite for most of the journey. When coming to the the sight of light, Von genuinly looked happy, "By Andraste, now that's a sight." The good news, was of course, interrupted by the sound of bad news. Von paused, his hairs stood, wolves. To Von, they were ferocious, and if you were alone, it made it even worse. Calmed down by the presence of his new group, Von heard Jarrett.

"Sounds could be what the scout mentioned. House, fence, cliff, whatever, find cover. Maybe funnel these hypothetical beasts if that's what we're hearing. Better ideas?"

Nodding, Von pulled out his Templar longsword, and his red steel dagger with it. "Lets us hope they miss us." Von said, wondering if his voice got to the others of the group. Being at the front of the group, he ducked behind a tree in cover. The only thought he had now, is the hope they would not be seen thanks to the storm.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Andraste's Nipples its cold! Kari though bitterly as she once again tugged at her cloak, trying to keep her hood up. What kind of mad man would live in such a damned place. While her armour and cloak did a fair job of keeping her body warm, and the salve Ashtalan had been kind enough to let her use was a blessing for her hands and face, it was still too bloody cold. Fortunately the lights of the village could be seen ahead, promising hot food and a warm bed; then she heard the howls. "Shit."

"Sounds could be what the scout mentioned. House, fence, cliff, whatever, find cover. Maybe funnel these hypothetical beasts if that's what we're hearing. Better ideas?"

"Not really." She replied, dropping her pack and cloak. "But I have a slight variation." Stepping through the snow a few paces toward the howls, to where there was a wider space, she began to limber up with her blade. "You lot stay protected and stop whatever is coming from overwhelming me."

"Lets us hope they miss us."

"Don't worry Von." She said teasingly, as she faced the approaching sounds and slid into a relaxed guard position. "I won't let those mean doggies hurt you."

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Nola held her cloak tighter, thankful the mage had been adapt at alchemy. Note to self, learn that shit. She thought shivering under her cloak. It kept the worst at bay, but that didn't stop it from being too damned cold. I miss caves. She thought not for the first time since coming to the surface. In caves anything that could fall on your head was your own damn fault for not setting up support beams. Out here you were screwed.

She smiled as she heard the howls. "About time they showed up." She said pulling her ax from her side and shield off her back. She let her cloak and pack fall not far from Kari's as she marched forward giving the Giantess ample room.

"You lot stay protected and stop whatever is coming from overwhelming me."

Nola laughed. "Trust me lady, they'll have a hard enough time getting past me as is. Between the two of us, as long as it isn't a hundred of the damn thing we should be fine." She rolled her shoulders. "Speaking of numbers, last to five buys the first round when we get back." She said setting her feet apart and her shield forward.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010

Upon hearing that, it became clear that what Ashtalan heard was more than just something in his head. Unless it all was, of course, but it meant he wouldn't get in trouble from mentioning it, or, as his first instinct was, aiming the strongest shock he could towards the sounds. He was about to suggest that when Kari and Nola started talking about fighting, apparently they didn't realize -or perhaps more correctly, didn't consider- the range a mage had.

"Trust me lady, they'll have a hard enough time getting past me as is. Between the two of us, as long as it isn't a hundred of the damn thing we should be fine. Speaking of numbers, last to five buys the first round when we get back."

Ash smirked, well, as much as he could smirk without his stiff face starting to feel odd. The howls made him eager to act, deal with the danger and get out of there.

"If they gets past the two of you, they're already too close for me," he remarked, and raised his hand. "And I'd like to at least do something, though I don't doubt you two could take them out alone."

Question is, can I?

Could he determine where the sound came from? Not really, but he could pick out where at least some sounds came from. And that was good enough for him. Without hesitating, or even waiting for someone else to say anything, he channelled the fade, and bolts of lightning struck in the direction where the sound was clearest. It was a weaker spell than his preferred one, but it also didn't have a chance of affecting anyone around him, and it was easier than opening his mouth, warning the others, and then possibly hope to hit something when it got close enough for the more shocking spell to work.

"If nothing else, the beasts will either be frightened by that, or get drawn to it," he said. "Instincts would mean the first, but if they really are acting up..." he trailed off, as he kept looking for something to move around him. Well, something that looked like a beast, at least.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
There wasn't any way to tell how much time they had to prepare if it was what they feared. Jarrett crouched next to a withered stone wall along the path with his left ear to it and daggers held near his feet. His heart and breathing slowed, ready to leap at whatever danger approached. He got as good of a view as he could get in the blizzard of his allies preparing themselves

"Plenty protected", he thought to himself. While the tension caused seconds to feel like minutes he always enjoyed this moment in his work. Assuming the danger was there. "We're near a village, this better not be coincidence and what we're hearing is domesticated." These thoughts didn't annoy him. It would have to wait until they got close to tell but that could hardly be called a risk as if they got close to him, they got close to his knives, he rationalised.

That would soon be tested as he heard a bolt of electricity rupture the snow ahead of him. Ash is taking the initiative. It wasn't the worst plan he admitted, if they waited they could get boxed in. "Your call Ash, advance or hold. Maybe seconds to choose." At least he hoped Ash heard that and he was one to embrace pressure and not be swamped by it.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
"Your call Ash, advance or hold. Maybe seconds to choose."

Ash was surprised, he hadn't really expected for someone to ask him about that. However, he spoke within an instant.

"I say hold," was his reply, as he turned towards Jarrett. Fighting meant more money, and more money meant that his time was being better spent, even if they had to fight a couple of beasts. "If they follow us to the village, we'll be in a worse spot. Besides, people seem eager to fight, and we should outnumber them, so we'll be fine. If the beasts have been scared off, that's fine too, but we get paid according to how dangerous this is, and I wouldn't mind earning some extra coins. Of course..." he looked to the others. He certainly wasn't scared, or even unnerved, but perhaps the idea of a fight against possibly crazed beasts in the middle of a blizzard made them hesitant.

I suppose that makes sense.

Perhaps all of them were, and Kari and Nola were just acting tough. Could be it. As far as he knew, he was the only deranged person there, though, he wasn't completely sure about some. In order to say something more sensible, he spoke again.

"I can't force anyone to do anything, so if someone runs, we all should. Safety in numbers, and all that."

StormShaun

Feb 1, 2009
From behind the tree, Von saw several people move into the open field, all preparing and wanting this coming fight. Mostly he noticed Kari, who called out to him. Of course this would attract his attention from the tree which shielded him, he wondered where everyone was gathering for the fight.

"Don't worry Von."
"I won't let those mean doggies hurt you."

Kari joked. Von felt a flush across his face, he almost thought it could melt the snow that thinly covered him. ("Wow, she pulls no punches.") He thought, sighing internally. His cloak blew in the harsh wind. Von knew what his strengths were, stealth was not one of them, and he remembers the compliments he received in his training days. People called his combat style a dance. If Von were to explore his honest thoughts, he would find he is also itching for a fight, eager to prove himself to his new group and friends.

"If they follow us to the village ..."

Ash only needed to say those words, and Von's hands already moved. Even if this village was empty, he would want to protect it. His inner instincts called for it. Besides, if they led the wolves into the village, they might not be the most popular people there. His legs started to move, and Von was already on a flank, prepared with longsword and dagger. "Ho ho ... very funny!" His joking voice called out to Kari. His hood flipped back, and Von was hoping that his vision would not be that obstructed by the rioting snow and cold.

"A saved village is a better village." Von's tone turned serious, and a grin laid on his face. Flourishing his weapons, he knew he was ready, and Von knew, he was in his combat mode.