Adventurers of the Inquisition: A Dragon Age RP (started)

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"I'm told he's a friend of a friend of one of the Inquisitor's companions, apparently he comes recommended by some sort of pirate admiral, take that as you will. If it helps he volunteered for the job, apparently he's got no great love for the Vints."

Pirate ?Admiral? eh? That?s a new one. ?It does a bit, though nobody really like the Vints?not even other Vints.? Kari replied with a chuckle. Maker I hope the crossing is calm?ships are way too crowded to fight on. She mostly just sat quietly while Neira answered questions, though it took some self-control not to shout when she answered Berund.

"Our... resident arcanist has requested that samples be gathered if at all possible, but you are only required to destroy the lyrium, and if possible the Venatori's ships and operations. The lyrium itself is the priority though, it?s far too dangerous to be allowed to make it back to Tevinter."

?Maker?s hairy arsehole! If that little nutter wants some of that shit she can come along and get some herself!? She swore. ?Inquisition pays good, but you people don?t have nearly deep enough coffers to pay me to touch that shit?not after what I?we say it do to folk!? A visible shudder ran through her body.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Nola's eyebrows shot up when Neria mentioned possibly getting samples of Red Lyrium back to Skyhold. Dagna was....eccentric sure, but if she wanted samples of that stuff than she hadn't a clue what she was messing with.

"Maker's hairy arsehole! If that little nutter wants some of that shit she can come along and get some herself! Inquisition pays good, but you people don't have nearly deep enough coffers to pay me to touch that shit...not after what I...we saw it do to folk!

Nola nodded in agreement with Kari. "The giant's right, I dunno what it is or how it's made, but Red Lyrium is far too dangerous to be allowed to get back here." She said with her own shudder. The memories of the half mad half dead dwarf rushed back to her. Somethings weren't meant to leave the Deep Roads, and that wasn't Dwarven pride talking. "I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't mean to see even a grain of that shit get back here." She liked Dagna, but if the girl wanted to risk her life with Red lyrium, then she could track it down herself.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
"You may call me Neira, as for the matter of rank you weren't a member of any circle and you were recruited as adventurers not as soldiers or even members of a mercenary company, so you have no formal rank. While this does cause difficulties as in this case it also means you are a more adaptable and flexible force than a military squad."

"Well, it's nice to meet you Neira, I'm Ash, and that's all kinds of unfair, I want to have a rank too," he pouted, though he let it go, no sense in taking up precious time arguing over titles. Besides, he had a feeling he was pretty far down on the list of who should be in charge of it all, so his rank would probably have been low too.

And that's not fun.

Not that he didn't have the feeling of that his youth made him less likely to get people to listen already.

I suppose my behaviour hasn't helped.

His whimsical nature wasn't very fit for any sort of responsibilities either. Ash realized he'd not been paying much attention to Neira, but the things he did catch up towards the end wasn't very promising.

"Our... resident arcanist has requested that samples be gathered if at all possible, but you are only required to destroy the lyrium, and if possible the Venatori's ships and operations. The lyrium itself is the priority though, its far too dangerous to be allowed to make it back to Tevinter."

Uhm. No. Nope. Never, we're not bringing that stuff with us.

He thought, though both Kari and Nola spoke up before he had a chance.

"Maker's hairy arsehole! If that little nutter wants some of that shit she can come along and get some herself! Inquisition pays good, but you people don't have nearly deep enough coffers to pay me to touch that shit...not after what I...we say it do to folk!"

"The giant's right, I dunno what it is or how it's made, but Red Lyrium is far too dangerous to be allowed to get back here."

"They're right," Ash added. "It's not worth it. Besides, Normal Lyrium is already difficult enough for me to handle, I'm not going close to this stuff, let alone bringing it back." He shuddered at the thought, it seemed like a risk not at all worth taking.

"Did Calien know about this? What did he say we should do?" he asked, reaching for the letter on the table, hoping to find a different mission inside.

She did said we don't have to, though.

Hopefully it wouldn't affect their pay. Calien would've known what to do.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
Listening to Neira, the mission detail were worrying to say the least. Jarrett could only chuckle at what a dangerous scenario this could be.

"It's not worth it. Besides, Normal Lyrium is already difficult enough for me to handle, I'm not going close to this stuff, let alone bringing it back."

"Ash raises another good point, if an mage as... previously unstable as he finds doubt about retrieving the red lyrium, it may be better not to. To actually want to retrieve the stuff I'd need to see a metal crate the size of the Iron Bull meant to house this stuff, with a frequent guard shift schedule for it and whoever's foolish enough to study it. Otherwise, I cannot guarantee my efforts to keep the lyrium from meeting the ocean's depths."

Dagna, it was a name Jarrett had heard muttered in Skyhold occasionally. He knew of some of her eccentricities, which didn't bother him. After all who here didn't have their own? But this sounded like little more than a kid in Darktown thinking they can usurp a peddler. The only silver lining being Dagna's scientific and benevolent intentions, if they could survive red lyrium.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Berund looked around the table. There seemed to be an almost unanimous refusal to retrieve any of the red lyrium, and considering their previous mission it was no surprise. But the dwarf felt there was potential for good in gathering samples. He wasn't a man of science by any means, but if there was a chance to get an upper hand he wanted to take it. He sighed then gulped down what was left of his tankard.

"I'll do it," Berund tersely proclaimed, looking at Neira. "I'll collect the lyrium and see that it makes it back safely." He looked at each member of the group firmly, resolute in his position. "I know just as well as any of ye how corrupt, unstable, an' dangerous that blighted rock is. I don't take this lightly. But what happened in the Roads an' at Haven makes it very clear we need a way to fight it. If that means bringin' it here to be studied, then I'm willin' to take that risk. If it means safeguardin' against more of those red lyrium soldiers, if it means bein' able to turn back the corruption, then gettin' some of that rock back here is the right thin' to do."

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Kari was glad everyone was on the same page with regards to the red lyrium?until Berund spoke up. As he voiced his acceptance of the task of transporting a sample, she let out a long low sigh. If only the Maker had given that man the sense he gave a Nug? His downright refusal to try and work with the team down on the Deep Roads still got her blood up, but she still felt he deserved fair warning if was determined to undertake this monumentally stupid task.

Shifting in her seat, she caught the ex-Legionary?s attention. ?Fair warning to you then. If you bag a sample, and start to go ?weird? on us on the trip back, I will drop you and the rocks over the side. Met a fellow that was in Kirkwall, told me a bunch of strange shit he saw involving glowing red stones; at the time I thought he was just some drunk making up stories, but after the shit I was with my own eyes?? An involuntary shudder ran though her body.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
"Ash raises another good point, if an mage as... previously unstable as he finds doubt about retrieving the red lyrium, it may be better not to. To actually want to retrieve the stuff I'd need to see a metal crate the size of the Iron Bull meant to house this stuff, with a frequent guard shift schedule for it and whoever's foolish enough to study it. Otherwise, I cannot guarantee my efforts to keep the lyrium from meeting the ocean's depths."

"Previously unstable?" Ash said, a bit insulted. "I've had my fair amount of difficulties, yes, but I was never unstable," he crossed his arms. "If you'd seen what I've seen because of being a mage... I wasn't unstable. I was distracted, sometimes." Ash huffed to Jarrett. "I get that it might look familiar, but I'd never have tried to hurt any of you, and I never was a danger. Not like..." he trailed off, hoping the other would get it.

"I'll do it, I'll collect the lyrium and see that it makes it back safely. I know just as well as any of ye how corrupt, unstable, an' dangerous that blighted rock is. I don't take this lightly. But what happened in the Roads an' at Haven makes it very clear we need a way to fight it. If that means bringin' it here to be studied, then I'm willin' to take that risk. If it means safeguardin' against more of those red lyrium soldiers, if it means bein' able to turn back the corruption, then gettin' some of that rock back here is the right thin' to do."

Ash closed his eyes, he had been hoping that everyone would agree on this one. Berund offered to take it and guard it himself, but that wasn't the point, that wasn't why Ash had objected.

I'm not going to force his hand. But he can't force mine either.

"Then I don't want to go," Ash said. "I don't want it on the same boat as me, I hear it in my head if I just as much as get close to it. I'm not sharing a boat with the stuff, and I don't want to lose a team member to it either, but if I can't chose the latter, then at least let me choose the former. You didn't hear it the way I did, you don't sense it like I do. It sings, I hear it so clearly, and it feels like it shuts out everything else. I don't know what I'd do if I had to hear that for days, unable to leave or sleep or have a quiet moment for myself. And I know I hear it from a distance, I did so in the tunnels."

I don't want to go back to a state like that. I don't want something like this singing to me, even if it's only for the trip back.

"I understand the need for it, I really do. But I don't want to sacrifice the second chance I got at feeling well." He looked at his feet. "I'm sorry. I think I'll sit this one out."

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
"Fair warning to you then. If you bag a sample, and start to go 'weird' on us on the trip back, I will drop you and the rocks over the side. Met a fellow that was in Kirkwall, told me a bunch of strange shit he saw involving glowing red stones; at the time I thought he was just some drunk making up stories, but after the shit I saw with my own eyes?"

"D'ye think I've forgotten? D'ye think I don't remember seein' what it did to my own kin?" Berund had to restrain himself from jumping to his feet, almost insulted at the idea. He scoffed and shook his head. Did she think he was eager to do the task? And after Ash had voiced his concerns he only felt worse for volunteering. But the dwarf was set in his belief that it was necessary.

"I understand the need for it, I really do. But I don't want to sacrifice the second chance I got at feeling well." He looked at his feet. "I'm sorry. I think I'll sit this one out."

The dwarf sighed and rubbed his temples as he thought. There was a sinking feeling in his gut. He understood their concerns. He knew he was asking a lot from them for something it seemed that he alone felt was right. "No. We need ye. I'll..." he hesitated. He knew he'd be put in greater danger for what he was about to suggest, but it would mean keeping the others from danger. "I'll carry the lyrium alone. I'm a seasoned scout, I've still got my wits about me. I'll find my way back."

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Nola listened as Kari grudgingly accepted Berunds offer to grab a sample. Then as Ash refused to even go, back to Berund saying he'll come back alone. Splitting up the group was a bad idea. They needed both of them, Ash was too valuable just as a mage for him to not come. Berund was too skilled, and a heavy hitter, they needed his strength. Missing either of them made them less effective as a group. On top of that, despite their recent troubles, they were both friends. She would sooner trade in her hammer than lose another group of people she cared about. "No!" She said slamming her fist on the table. "No one is staying behind and no one is coming back alone!" She said looking around at the group. "Either we all bring back the sample, or it doesn't come back at all. This shit is too dangerous to deal with other wise." She looked at Ash. "Ash, I understand your concerns, but believe me, we hear it too, Berund and I probably better than anyone besides you. But he's also right, this shit ain't goin away until we find a way to fight it." She turned to Berund.

She sat back in her seat and looked at Neria. "If..." She started her mind racing. "Give me a few hours, I can make...a container or something, a case big enough to hold a sample. With some magical help from you, Ash, or maybe one of the other mages, maybe we can put some barriers on it to block out some of the singing. Maybe put some runes on top of that?" She offered. "If that all doesn't work...if you still hear the voice loud and clear, we'll smash the damn thing,throw it over board or something. Get rid of it." She shook her head. "Either way I'm not losing anyone cause of this shit."

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Neira listened as the group discussed what to do regarding the lyrium, frowning as they turned on each other in their arguing. She sighed and then cleared her throat to get their attention.

"Firstly, Calien is not aware of your current mission or the subject of recovering samples," she said "and I will say that the Inquisitor brings back samples from time to time, as do patrols returning from skirmishes with the red templars. You needn't bring back anything larger than small fragments or shards, most of it gets processed and destroyed in Arcanist Dagna's experiments."

She glanced over at Berund "if you don't feel comfortable transporting the stuff then you are not required to recover any samples, same goes for the rest of you," she said "the hope is to find better ways to destroy and fight the stuff by studying it, but I can certainly understand your reluctance regarding it."

Then she turned to Ash "However I will say that it is your duty to undertake this mission in service to the Inquisition," she said "we are at a war for Thedas itself here, we don't have the luxury to reject missions as we might like. Besides that the Venatori have a number of mages, making your presence on the mission more important to handle them. If you do collect samples and they start to trouble you then by all means pitch them into the Waking Sea, but the Inquisition has enough troubles without you deciding to drop the responsibilities it entrusts to you."

She turned back to the group as a whole "At any rate, perhaps you should elect a leader to make the decision," she said "if you'd prefer to vote confidentially that can be arranged."

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Kari let out a sigh as Ash spoke up; she rarely worked with mages, so she kept forgetting that they reacted to being near lyrium, and given what she?d felt with that red shit, she really didn?t want to know what Ash had experienced.

"No. We need ye. I'll...I'll carry the lyrium alone. I'm a seasoned scout, I've still got my wits about me. I'll find my way back."

?No, that?s al-? Before she could finish her thought, a loud bang from Nola made her jump.

"No! No one is staying behind and no one is coming back alone! Either we all bring back the sample, or it doesn't come back at all. This shit is too dangerous to deal with otherwise. Ash, I understand your concerns, but believe me, we hear it too, Berund and I probably better than anyone besides you. But he's also right, this shit ain't goin away until we find a way to fight it."

Maker damn that woman for being right?the more we can find out about that the better?still don?t like it though.

"Give me a few hours, I can make...a container or something, a case big enough to hold a sample. With some magical help from you, Ash, or maybe one of the other mages, maybe we can put some barriers on it to block out some of the singing. Maybe put some runes on top of that? If that all doesn't work...if you still hear the voice loud and clear, we'll smash the damn thing, throw it over board or something. Get rid of it."

?If we?re going to get that crap, I think Nola has the right idea.? Kari wasn?t exactly enthusiastic about the whole plan, but if Nola figured she could contain that creepy shit, then she would go along with things. Neria went on to say that returning with a sample wasn?t required, but Kari shook her head. ?Maker knows I don?t like the idea, bu-but Berund is right?we should get a sample if we can. The more the ?Thinkers? know about it the better chance of dealing with it permanently.? That said, that crap is going over the side at the slightest bit of weird shit happening. ?As for the vote? I think private ballot is probably the best way to go.?

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
"Give me a few hours, I can make...a container or something, a case big enough to hold a sample. With some magical help from you, Ash, or maybe one of the other mages, maybe we can put some barriers on it to block out some of the singing. Maybe put some runes on top of that? If that all doesn't work...if you still hear the voice loud and clear, we'll smash the damn thing,throw it over board or something. Get rid of it. Either way I'm not losing anyone cause of this shit."

Ash shook his head. "No, don't bother, it's not going to work. Besides, surely one of the other mages are available, who cares if it is me?" The more people agreed to bring it along, the less he wanted to be there. Of course they weren't going to throw away valuable resources if they first had them. Even if he had said he didn't want to bring it back. It was understandable, they needed Red Lyrium for research.

"However I will say that it is your duty to undertake this mission in service to the Inquisition, we are at a war for Thedas itself here, we don't have the luxury to reject missions as we might like. Besides that the Venatori have a number of mages, making your presence on the mission more important to handle them. If you do collect samples and they start to trouble you then by all means pitch them into the Waking Sea, but the Inquisition has enough troubles without you deciding to drop the responsibilities it entrusts to you."

"I get it. I don't get a choice," he responded, both feeling defeated and miffed. Was there nothing else he would be useful for? No other mission he could depart on?

Even here I'm not really a "real" mage, and they clearly don't trust me.

He felt a knot tighten in his stomach, Ash wasn't used to being forced to do anything, and it made him feel uncomfortable. His opinions and thoughts felt like they were worthless. A silly thought, to be sure, but he also knew he wouldn't be made leader. People didn't really listen to him.

"At any rate, perhaps you should elect a leader to make the decision, if you'd prefer to vote confidentially that can be arranged."

"As for the vote? I think private ballot is probably the best way to go."

Ash smiled a hollow smile, he knew very well that what he said would matter little at this point. "To be completely honest, I don't care who leads us anymore, so I abstain from voting. You guys decide what to do. And there's no need to bother with throwing it from the ship either, I'll just deal with it. Somehow. I mean, I've watched the people I love butchered and slaughtered and hurt in a billion different ways, and there has to be something like half a year all together that I can't tell if was real or not, so it's not like the Red Lyrium can make me feel any worse, right?" While his tone was casual, there was a sense of hurt as he spoke. However, Ash wasn't going to elaborate on it, if they didn't get it, then it wasn't worth it.

I don't want to be here. I don't want to be forced into doing this.

Crossing his arms, he stepped a little away, showing that he was distancing himself from the situation. Both figuratively and literally. His eyes were firmly set on the ground.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Nola fixed Ash with a hard look. She knew the guy could be a little childish at times but this.....this was going beyond what was acceptable. She was going to have a talk with the mage after this little meeting was over, regardless of how the vote went. If he really thought he was the only one who had lost friends and loved one's in horrible ways, then he was more naive than she had originally thought. Whatever he said though, she was still going to make the container, if nothing else then to give herself her own peace of mind.

"At any rate, perhaps you should elect a leader to make the decision, if you'd prefer to vote confidentially that can be arranged."

When Neria said that she nodded. She really didn't care if the others knew who she voted for, but if that's what they wanted, she was fine with it. "Private works for me."

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
"Let's get this vote over with, perhaps it'll even help with how we deal with the lyrium. What you guys want isn't any of my business, but I vote for Berund." Jarrett announced in a somewhat irritated manner. Maybe that'll get things moving along. Jarrett thought the lyrium discussion was taking too long considering the few options he thought they had. It bothered him that it was still a 'sensitive' issue with some. What annoyed him the most was Ash's attempt at apathy. He looked at Nola and rolled his eyes, seeing that she might've had similar feelings. Despite his annoyances Jarrett had to remind himself that nobody was perfect, and Ash was no exception.

"If you want to abstain fair enough, I understand just don't complain if our leader isn't someone you want it be. I think we all know your pain so don't feel like we want or are trying to force you to do something." Jarrett sighed, hoping this would lift Ash's spirits, though not for the best of reasons.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Ash wasn't exactly oblivious to the looks of the people around him, but he tried to ignore it. He'd managed for a short while, but then Jarrett addressed him.

"Let's get this vote over with, perhaps it'll even help with how we deal with the lyrium. What you guys want isn't any of my business, but I vote for Berund."

Ugh.

He didn't mind Berund, he really didn't. But right now he felt as if the other was the reason he had to risk going insane again, and that sucked. Not to mention, Kari and Nola had both expressed a hesitation towards the Red Lyrium, while Berund seemed to value its retrieval to a further extent.

"If you want to abstain fair enough, I understand just don't complain if our leader isn't someone you want it be. I think we all know your pain so don't feel like we want or are trying to force you to do something."

Of course you know my pain. Not like my pain is something only a mage can get, right? A mage who happened to sell his sanity for survival. No, no, you know my pain so well.

Ash had to bite his tongue not to reply with something as sarcastic as Jarrett did. At least he assumed it was sarcastic, because they clearly didn't understand -or care about, he wasn't sure- his pain, and he clearly had a knife pressed against his neck at this. If not, he would've never had gone, he had been out of the room already and let them do what they wanted to do. Ash didn't like being pushed around, he was the youngest, sure, but he wasn't a child. Instead he closed his eyes, he'd seen the look Nola had given him and he was sure she wasn't the only one angry with him.

Come on Ash. Think about the fact that you'll have to share room with these people. And... I dunno. I'm sure they wouldn't want you to feel hurt, even if you do.

However, they tried to tell him what to do, the same way his mother had when he was a small child. Sure, they buttered it up, but it didn't feel like they meant that either. Why did he have to always follow others?

Didn't you just want a rank a few minutes ago? You do know people with ranks have to take orders, right?

He was quiet for a while, just mulling it over in his mind. Pushing down the hurt feelings and the anger and, to be completely honest, the small amounts of fear that had gathered just at the thought of having to be close to Red Lyrium. He sighed, he still felt upset and somewhat stabbed in the back, but he made an attempt at giving them the benefit of the doubt.It wasn't easy, and there still was a sense of pettiness to his choice to vote, not wanting Berund to get chosen because of the Red Lyrium. And because he'd upset Ash.

"Fine, I'm sorry, I'll vote, but I don't see the point of a private ballot." He said, uncrossing his arms and stepping forward. "I mean, I think everyone's upset with me either way," he looked away again, that was the feeling he'd gotten from the room. "I vote for Nola. I think Nola being the leader and Kari being second in command is the best combination for leadership, because Nola thinks of solutions and has a calm presence, while Kari lets people know if she doesn't agree. Putting Kari as the leader would feel a little overpowering, but she's strong and experienced, so her opinion is valuable too." He coughed, nervously.

"Anyhow, that's a vote if you want it. I just want to go lie down now."

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
She let out a long, and rather annoyed, sigh as Ash made his opinion known. ?[small]Andraste?s ass?[/small]? She muttered. You signed on with this outfit, that means when they say ?jump? you jump. She thought. She was really tempted to say something to Ash, but public dressing downs rarely had the desired effect one was hoping for.

Nola voiced her favour of a private vote, but the elf had a point that they need to get this sorted, though she nearly choked on her drink when he voiced his support for Berund. No way I?d follow that fool, he?d get us all killed with his thick-headedness. Ash spoke up again, still pitching a bit of a snit, which didn?t do much for her opinion of him at the moment, but he did nominate Nola to lead?and her to second?

That caught her off guard. She replayed Ash?s words in her head a few times, staring blankly across the room as she fiddled with her mug. She could see his point, out of everyone Nola was probably the most level-headed; Maker knew she was a bit of a blunt instrument at times?the recent dealing with those Dwarven nobles came to mind.

Eyes re-focusing on the room around her, Kari sat up a bit and downed her drink. ?Since we seem to be forgoing the secret ballot, I vote for Nola??

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
"The vote is appreciated, friend," Berund said, patting Jarrett on the shoulder. "Though I'm more than okay with Nola takin' the lead. But I have my disagreements with Kari bein' second in command."

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"Though I'm more than okay with Nola takin' the lead. But I have my disagreements with Kari bein' second in command."

Unfortunately, any thoughts about her being more level-headed were stamped out by her temper as Berund spoke up. ?What?? She scoffed. ?Can?t stand the thought of two people with more brains than you in charge? Afraid you might actually have to listen to me in a fight because I?m not trying to get everyone killed? Does the Legion always pick ?em as dumb as you or were you a special case??

She?d seen too many good men and women killed by glory or death ?seekers? to feel nothing but utter contempt for that kind of person. Somewhere in the back of her mind, old memories tried to surface, but another long pull from her tankard buried them under more alcohol.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Nola listened as her name came up again and again. This was.....strange to say the least. She was just a girl from the merchant quarter turned exile. She never expected to be leading her own group for an organization who's whole shtick was to save the world. She blinked when all was said and done, a surprised look on her face. "Wow...I...certainly wasn't expecting that." She said with a chuckle. "Don't get me wrong, I'm not so boneheaded as to not accept, just a surprise is all. Not that it matters anymore but my vote goes to Jarrett." She said with a shrug. She liked Kari, and thought she would make a fine second. But she knew other's would have a problem especially Berund. The was evident enough when the two started squabbling at the table.

"But I have my disagreements with Kari bein' second in command."

"What? Can't stand the thought of two people with more brains than you in charge? Afraid you might actually have to listen to me in a fight because I'm not trying to get everyone killed? Does the Legion always pick 'em as dumb as you or were you a special case?"

Nola shot Kari a look. "Hey! Remember that's my people you're talkin about too. Now enough, from both of you. Who I do or do not choose for my second is my decision. Berund you should know better than anyone the importance of the chain of command. And Kari insulting someone for not liking you is just childish." She flicked her eye between the two of them before turning to Neira. She drew herself to her full height in her chair. "I'll get us moving out soon. No matter what happens with the sample we'll get the job done. The Inquisition needn't worry about that."

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Neira nodded "Well now that that's settled I expect you to make whatever preparations you see fit and get heading out by the morrow," she said, standing up nodding to Nola and then making her way out of the tavern.

The notes left behind told them that the smuggler they would be looking for went by the name 'Captain Rumsfeld' and was said to captain a ship called 'The Golden Halla'. The captain was described as 'an extravagantly mustached man with a penchant for feathered hats'.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

The trip was relatively uneventful, though there were places they passed where the devastation wrought by the foes they were up against was visible. Ice and fire scarred the roads in places, evidence of the damage from skirmishes with the venatori, or perhaps lingering scars of the mage rebellion.

Once they had arrived finding the captain proved surprisingly easy, his ship stood out among the others with a carved Halla painted gold and adorned with a brilliantly colored (if somewhat ragged looking) hat. Its captain wore a similarly vivid headpiece and greeted them with a broad grin and outstretched arms.

"Ah greetings! You must be from the Inquisition, seems they take in all sorts," he said, then gave a flourish of his hat revealing a bald and burn scarred head beneath it "I am Captain Rumsfeld of the Golden Halla, and you are?"