Adventurers of the Inquisition: A Dragon Age RP (started)

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Nola nodded at Neria as she left, before turning to the rest of the group. "Alright folks, you heard the lady. We're leaving at dawn tomorrow, do what you need to. Sleep, drink, train, find someone to keep you warm tonight, whatever. As long it doesn't affect your ability to do your job, I don't care. Meet me at the front gate about a half hour after sunrise and we'll get moving." She said before standing up. "I'm going to get to work on that case. Even if it doesn't really do anything, It'll give me peace of mind." She said before looking to Ash. "But first Ash, you and me need to talk. Follow me." She told the Qunari, leading him up to the third floor of the Tavern. The strange young human, Cole she thought his name was, was thankfully absent. "Alright Ash." She said, crossing her arms over her chest. "What was that down there?" She asked, her voice calm.

Ash followed Nola, somewhat hesitantly. He knew what was waiting, and he'd meant what he said about wanting to go lie down. Even so, he had helped make her the leader, and it could be worse.

It could be Kari.

Walking upstairs, he wondered just exactly she would say, though her crossing her arms were always a bad sign.

"Which of it?" Ash asked, crossing his arms as well, taking a defensive position.

"Don't try that with me Ash, you know which part I mean." She said, furrowing her brow. She looked up at the taller man fixing him with a stern stare. "I know you've been through some hard shit. But that wasn't right Ash, and you know it. What I saw down there wasn't the same friend I've gotten to know over the past few months. That was a spoiled child throwing a fit because he was told he needed to take a bath. Do you really think so badly of us to think that we wouldn't help you if you did hear the singing? That we wouldn't do anything to help a friend?" She asked, letting a little hurt creep into her voice.

Ash frowned, both feeling a little guilty, but also a little slighted. "Madness isn't a bath," he started. There were so many things he wanted to say, but he doubted they'd help, not unless he found the right way to say it. Instead, he looked at her, directly this time.

"And I'll answer that if you can answer why you couldn't just have gotten another mage to do it. There's mages available, skilled mages who aren't as sensitive to the fade as me. Most of them aren't as sensitive to the fade as me. Why me? If you're willing to do anything to help a friend, why not honour my request and let me skip this mission, have another mage to take my place, and then I'll do a different mission? Someone else certainly were allowed to do so. And no; "we're friends" thing, I get that, I like you too, but I'm not the right person for the mission, so why not switch? Why do you guys always decide what's best for me?"

Nola frowned at that. They were all good points, but he still wasn't getting it. "Because we don't want anyone else Ash. We want you, We trust you. Despite EVERYTHING you've been through, whatever you had to do to survive on your own, whatever anyone might say when they're mad, we trust you. Getting another mage isn't the same as having you. We've been working together for months. We know how you fight, we know what you're capable off and what you're not. You're as much as part of the team as I am." She explained uncrossing her arms. "We're not trying to decide what's best for you Ash. We just don't want you to leave. Despite what you may think, we can't do this with out you."

"That's not true," Ash protested. "You could just ask the mage what they can do. And you don't know what I'm capable off, you just treat me like a child. I'm not stupid, why don't people ask me about stuff? Why did I have to have my opinion ignored down there, while Berund managed to talk everyone into taking the Red Lyrium? No one thought it was important before he said it was. And you say that you'll throw it off the ship, but when the time comes, it'll just be; "Sorry Ash, can't you just deal with it for a couple of days? I promise that if it gets bad we'll throw it off" and "It can't be that bad, you seem fine", and it'll continue until it's been delivered to the Inquisitor personally." He rubbed his arm.

"Just ignore that. It doesn't matter either way. My point isn't that you don't care, or that you're horrible people, you're not. But I'm... I'm not very good at telling people when something feels bad, I've tried to do it more often, but somehow I always word it wrongly, and people'll just say I'm complaining too much, or acting like a child. And then I get frustrated, and I get louder, and then... It's not easy, I don't know what you expect from me. But I don't want to feel like I'm just expected to throw out spells and follow orders."

Nola sighed. This certainly wasn't going as she thought, but she wass starting to understand why Ash acted the way he did down there. "I'm not going to just ignore it Ash. You elected me as team leader and I'm not just going to ignore when one of my team mates, one of my friends, is having trouble with something." She rubbed her temple, trying to put her own words in order. "We jumped on Berund's side cause we realized he was right. None of us want to, but if we don't try to do it, someone else will. And someone else may screw it up." She shook her head. There was no way to make it sound better than that. "As for what I expect...I expect you to have my back. Just like I'll have yours. I WANT you to trust me to know what I'm talking about. If I ask you to throw out a spell, I want you to know that there's a reason for it. That's not just something we can ask another mage." She sighed again, rubbing the back of her head.. "I'll say this at least, regardless of what happens. If there's something wrong, come and talk to me. I'll listen until you find the words."

He looked at her. He knew what she meant, he didn't want to just go with another team either, but sometimes that happened, besides...

She doesn't want to hear about that, Ash.

However, she'd said she would listen. Ash bit his lip. "Okay, just... wait a little. I need to think of what to say." He went quiet, it had to have been several minutes by the time he spoke again.

"I think... perhaps... I'm not very good at trusting, because I never really knew a lot of people, and... and I've never been in a situation like that. Like this. Besides, no matter what happens, at some point the inquisition will be over, whether it's defeat or success, and then... well, I'm a Vashoth Blood Mage. I'm going to have to disappear again, and I'll be all alone, just like before, just like with my friend. And I don't want that, but everyone's going to leave. I think..."

He trailed off a little more, swallowing, though his throat didn't stop feeling like something was stuck there. His voice was vulnerable and hurt, making him sound a lot smaller than he was.

"It's probably stupid to say, but I think I'm still a little lonely. No, probably not just a little lonely, probably very lonely, because there's no one like me, because the demon kept telling me you guys would all leave, and with the way Von acted, and now, with no one listening to me... it feels like that, everyone's going to just leave me when it suits them. It feels like no one's really listening and seeing what I'm talking about when I say it's difficult, and I get that, you wouldn't know, but that makes me feel very alone. And that hurts.
And then everyone wants me to consider how they feel, with why they'd want me to go or want me to vote, and it's already difficult enough just knowing what I want, because everything's different now. It's so much brighter, and more vivid, and I don't want to let go of that, because even if everyone in the world left me, I'd still have that. I won't go insane anymore. And I don't know why I act so childish and why I threw a fit, I just... I just felt so ignored, even if I know you care. It's just difficult to feel it, and to see it, because I'm so... afraid. I think. I mean..."

She'll probably feel like I'm a burden now.

Ash certainly didn't want that. He swallowed again, wiping his eyes. With a sudden smile, he shook his head.

"No, no, just ignore that too." He chuckled, forcefully. "It's not like that, I'm just in a bad mood. Wrong foot and all that."

Nola frowned at that. "Again, No. I'm not just going to ignore when someone I care about is in trouble. Ash, I an't promise we'll never leave. Our lives may take us all to opposite ends of Thedas. That's just how things work. But I can promise that while we're working together, people are going to try and understand what you're talking about. But only if you stop this "ignore me when I'm trying to be serious." crap you've done three times now." She said pointing at him. "If you see we're not getting something, make us get it. You're huge, the only one of us you're not gonna be able to hold down at this point is Berund and Kari, and that's because they're both to damn stubborn to let you hold them down." She let her hand fall, her own smile forming. "Now, no more of that, We're a team, and we're gonna stick together as long as possible. Hell if Berund an get over me killing his childhood friend, you can get over this little slump. C'mon, I'll buy you a drink before we split to get ready." She said gesturing down the stairs.

He looked at her, ready to decline, tell her it was all fine and that he wanted to be alone. But Nola wasn't going to let him leave, was she? Besides, wasn't that part of the issue, his issue? Ash nodded, though he didn't walk down just yet, only looked at her. Then he leaned down and embraced her, giving her a big hug. He made sure to get low enough to not have to lift her.

"Thanks."

He wasn't going to stop being worried about it, but at least he had someone he could talk to now, who wouldn't be disappointed with him if he tried to talk.

Nola was a little surprised when Ash knelt down to hug her. She certainly hand't been expecting that. "Heh, no problem big guy." She said returning the hug. As he stood up she led him back down stairs, happily paying for whatever drink he wanted. She didn't get herself anything, she had plans first that he wanted to be sober for. After a short time just making small talk, she excused herself. "Alright Ash, I gotta go. If ya need me I'll be in my forge, makin that case for the sample. And remember, at the gate by dawn." She said with a smile. She proceeded outside and back to her forge. Over the next few hours, she made a reinforced container, she was even able to find a made to assist her in carving a few mind protecting runes onto the surface. Would it protect her team from the effects of the Red Lyirum? She wasn't sure, but it was better than carrying it in their pockets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Morning came, she was first to reach the front gate, waking even earlier than the rest. Thankfully she didn't have to wait long, everyone showed up roughly on time. They set out quickly, just as planned. The trip was fairly boring, but boring in such dangerous times wasn't a bad thing.

She wasn't expecting to find a smuggler with such a.....noticeable ship. But what better way to hide then in plain sight? "And greetings to you as well, Captain." She said with a smile. "You may call me Nola, this is Ash, Berund, Jarrett, and Kari. As you guessed all under the employ of the Inquisition. A pleasure to meet you."

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Ash was one of the last ones to show up at the gate, and he was quiet as he did. Not because he was in a bad mood, not at all, but he felt nervous regarding it all, even if he had been reassured it would be fine. He didn't exactly mind the boring trip to the ocean, allowed him to take in the views. There was a mixed feeling in him as he saw the scarred landscape, the damage inflicted by magic almost still glowing.

He simply took to following the others, though the ship they would be travelling was the sort that stood out. He wondered how a smuggler could afford such a ship, and why the captain had chosen such a... flashy one.

"Ah greetings! You must be from the Inquisition, seems they take in all sorts, I am Captain Rumsfeld of the Golden Halla, and you are?"

I must be the one standing out the most.

A smuggler had probably seen a Qunari before, but he didn't think he'd seen a Qunari dressed as a mage.

"And greetings to you as well, Captain. You may call me Nola, this is Ash, Berund, Jarrett, and Kari. As you guessed all under the employ of the Inquisition. A pleasure to meet you."

Ash gave a nod as his name was mentioned, he'd already decided to let Nola talk. Instead, he took a closer look at the ship, taking in the size, wondering how long it would take, and how much room they would have each on it.

He's probably going to have some cargo on it as well.

Ash remembered being hidden among cargo when he was younger. Paying someone to quietly bring his mother and him had happened several times when he was a child.

But this time we're going to travel as passengers.

Right?

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"Hey! Remember that's my people you're talkin about too. Now enough, from both of you. Who I do or do not choose for my second is my decision. Berund you should know better than anyone the importance of the chain of command. And Kari insulting someone for not liking you is just childish."

I don?t care if that nug fucker likes me, I just don?t want his idiocy to get somebody useful killed. She thought. She?d almost voiced her reply out loud, but the look Nola had given her made her hold her tongue. With the meeting wrapping up, she headed off to have another drink, then go get her gear together for the trip.

[hr]

The trip to the coast was uneventful, though signs of fighting were scattered here and there; she was kind of disappointed at the lack of venatori?beating a few Vints into the dirt would?ve done wonders for her mood. As they reached the ship, she surveyed it with a wry smirk.

"Ah greetings! You must be from the Inquisition, seems they take in all sorts. I am Captain Rumsfeld of the Golden Halla, and you are?"

Maker preserve me, and Falon?Din guide the way? She thought, starting to chuckle quietly. When she heard Nola say her name, she did the same as Ash and just gave the Captain a nod. The ridiculousness of their supposed ?smuggler? was just a bit too much for Kari, and her chuckle turned into a laugh. ?We?re so dead??

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
Showing up at the gate unenthusiastically, Jarrett barely gave a wave to his companions before resting up against what surface he could find comfortable. He kept quiet until the group was ready and left. "So, we're all in on this? 'Cause we should consider this the point of no return now, like entering the deep roads. No foresight of what'll happen on the trip." He didn't want to worry the group, especially after certain members made their sensitive natures very noted among their adventures. But it was better to worry now and resolve their minds now he thought.

---

Arriving at the smuggler's ship, Jarrett raised a single surprised and baffled eyebrow at the state of it. It was strange seeing a ship belonging to what he expected to be a scoundrel be so extravagant. As introductions were had, questions were raised in Jarrett's mind. ' How could he afford this for a smuggler? Could he really just be successful? Is this a trick? Could they trust him? ' But looking over the ship once more he could only get out one simple question. "...Seriously?"

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Had Berund been in his youth, he would've challenged Kari right on the spot. But years of discipline taught him it wasn't worth the trouble. Least of all for Kari. The woman was a hothead. He reckoned it wouldn't take long to fry a cut of beef between her horns, given her temper. What does she know, he wondered, shaking his head in disapproval. Any of the Dead is worth ten of her; a mercenary who mistakes her height for merit. Fortunately, before the dwarf could further entertain the idea of speaking his thoughts aloud, Nola stepped in to nip it in the bud. And it looked like that would be the end of the meeting.

The trip was uneventful, even if the scenery was not. Though as striking as the landscape was, their designated ship and its captain was more striking still. Berund nodded, as the others, when his name was called. He offered Rumsfeld a smile before looking over the vessel. The dwarf hadn't much experience on the water, but the ship was apparently seaworthy at the very least. Even so, as gaudy as it looked, he couldn't help but wonder if the Captain wasn't beyond putting its form over function.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
"You may call me Nola, this is Ash, Berund, Jarrett, and Kari. As you guessed all under the employ of the Inquisition. A pleasure to meet you."

"We're so dead..."

"...Seriously?"

"Well at least one of you has some manners," the captain said, chuckling to himself "Not to worry though, she's plenty seaworthy and I've seen her through storm and battle alike, I daresay she's one of the finest on the Waking Sea!"

"Now you may board if you like, your quarters will be below-deck, though I've seen to it you'll have space apart from the rest of the crew," he said "We'll be set to cast off soon, feel free to introduce yourself to the crew in the meantime."

While many of the crew looked no different from simple sailors (though perhaps particularly well armed ones, almost every man had at least a sword or axe on his person) there were a few that stood out. A heavily tattooed dwarf, bearing both a casteless brand and several tattoos of the sort sailors tended to acquire paced the deck with an irritable look and a crumbled map in one hand. A bald Qunari with horns cut short nearly at his skull stood by the mast checking knots, a bundle of Qunari throwing spears strapped to his back. Finally a portly man could be seen ordering sailors about as they moved cargo around, he wore an odd blade on his belt with a long handle that after some inspection seemed to be the bladed end of a mage staff that had been broken down to a third of its usual length.

"Ah one moment," Rumsfeld said to Nola "I would like to discuss your mission, I was given the details by my Admiral but she, ah, tends to exaggerate, so I would like to ask what sorts of dangers you expect to see on this mission. If you think there is any aid my crew might be able to lend I would be happy to hear it, this Corphish fellow is a threat to everyone even us smugglers eh?"

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
With the Captain giving his permission to board the ship, Kari gathered up her kit and made for the gangplank. As she passed Rumsfeld and Nola, she overheard him asking for a bit more ?clarification?. ?Just so long as you and yours don?t bugger off on us, and leave us on the beach.? She said with a dangerous smile. Smugglers and pirates always looked out for themselves first.

Once on board, she hand one of the crew point her towards the party?s accommodations. Snagging one of the two hammocks that were obviously intended to fit a Qunari, she stashed her kit out of the way, then lay down. She?d never done much shipboard work, but she knew enough to stay out of the way of the professional sailors, unless they needed all hands.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Nola pinched the bridge of her nose as she listened to her companions remark on the ship they were gonna be taking. Sure she had been thinking the same thing, but she had kept it to herself. At least the captain was good natured about it. Nola made sure everyone got on first, staying on shore with the captain. It certainly wasn't cause she was nervous about sailing, no sir. She eyed the sea apprehensively for moment. Despite seeing the dwarf among the smuggler's crew, she still felt like she didn't belong on the sea. She pushed her unease aside when the captain spoke.

"I would like to discuss your mission, I was given the details by my Admiral but she, ah, tends to exaggerate, so I would like to ask what sorts of dangers you expect to see on this mission. If you think there is any aid my crew might be able to lend I would be happy to hear it, this Corphish fellow is a threat to everyone even us smugglers eh?"

She chuckled at that. It was good to know that the man wasn't afraid to lend a hand beyond transport. "Well then I'll try to keep it down to the bare bones of the mission then. Vints have been smuggling in Red Lyrium across the Waking Sea here. Now we got troops and supplies, but we lack the ships to fight them on the open waters. So, we're hunting them down to where they store the cursed stuff. Thankfully this should just mean it'll be men with swords, maybe a mage or two. But I've learn to expect the worst of enemies. They could have a few of the 'weaker'demons." She crossed her arms looking over the ship and her crew. "Really all we ask is transport, and to help us find their hideouts along the coast. As you said this 'Corphish' is dangerous to everyone, I can give you my personal assurance we won't be spilling any secrets after this. I won't ask you or your men to help us to fight though."

She looked up at the human, a smirk forming on her lips. "I won't turn down the extra blades if you folks wanna crack some skulls though." She let her smirk drop. "I'll warn ya now though, if you've heard the rumors about Red Lyrium, don't believe them. Chances are it's worse, we're gonna try and destroy every last bit. Now, if, and this is a dragon sized if, we get the chance, we want to try and get a sample of the stuff. Have the egg heads back home try and figure out to destroy this shit for good." She gestured at her pack over her shoulder. "Don't worry about it causing any trouble if we do get a piece though, I personally saw to the construction of something that'll keep it's effects under wraps till we get back home."

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
"Well at least one of you has some manners,"

Jarrett winced at that statement. He wasn't sure why, but he'd let his guard down and spoken his emotions out loud. Jarrett wasn't opposed to making a joke, having a laugh, or anything like that, but the mission would come first and even this slip of the tongue during introductions was unacceptable to him. For the time being he decided that he would appear as light-hearted as possible in the presence of their host, and defer to Nola when possible.

"I'll warn ya now though, if you've heard the rumors about Red Lyrium, don't believe them. Chances are it's worse, we're gonna try and destroy every last bit. Now, if, and this is a dragon sized if, we get the chance, we want to try and get a sample of the stuff. Have the egg heads back home try and figure out to destroy this shit for good. Don't worry about it causing any trouble if we do get a piece though, I personally saw to the construction of something that'll keep it's effects under wraps till we get back home."

"Uh, yeah, that sums it up. All bases covered." He said patting Nola on the shoulder, trying to reassure the captain that they knew what they were doing. Truth be told, though Jarrett agreed with Nola, he wasn't sure if there was any lingering opposition.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Ash didn't have much to say on Nola being praised for her manners. Sure, he hadn't said anything, but it was Kari and Jarrett who have made arses of themselves, if he had heard them, then certainly the captain had. Regardless, there didn't seem to be much hostility in the man, either he had expected their reactions, or he simply had the confidence to dismiss their statements with explanations of his ship. Of course, Ash sort of doubted that was what they had reacted to.

Nonetheless, Ash followed Kari on board. The people there were among the odder he had seen, as odd as some of the people hanging around the Inquisition, but he kept an open mind, he was odd himself. That said, he had to keep himself from touching his horns when he saw the Qunari with them chopped off all the way down to his skull, or nearly so. He did wince a bit, but not after he had looked away, he knew how Kari had felt about his reaction to her metal horns, and he had to make an effort to have an open mind.

Horns cut off though... the Qunari do that to those they deem dangerous, right? Usually mages, but he doesn't seem to be one.

A portly man passed without the man catching much of Ash' eye, at least not before he noticed what looked to be the bladed end of a mage's staff, though if that meant the mage was a mage or if he had killed one -or perhaps kept it to honour a loved one- was beyond Ash. He decided not to question it. He was going to be on the same ship of these people, after all.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Berund grabbed his gear and boarded the Golden Halla. He didn't say much as he walked past the crew and managed to find the group's quarters well enough. He was hoping just to get to the next landing as soon as he could. He never quite got his sea legs on the very few times aboard a boat. The experience was just as fresh as his first breath of air on the surface. He'd spent some time getting used to the lack of rocks over his head. Having none beneath his feet was another thing entirely. One he wasn't sure he could get used to. Though that sour-faced dwarf he'd noticed seemed to handle it well enough. Berund supposed it was just a matter of time.

When he reached their designated quarters he didn't say a word to Kari who was already busy getting comfortable. He claimed a hammock for himself and tossed his gear in. He fished for some of his supplies then walked to a nearby bench. There was the clacking and jingle of buckles as he removed his armor. Now in his plainclothes, he sat down and began to give his armor a thorough cleaning and fresh waxing. He didn't know how much time they'd be on that boat. But he was going to make certain that his time aboard wouldn't ruin his armor.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
"Don't worry about it causing any trouble if we do get a piece though, I personally saw to the construction of something that'll keep it's effects under wraps till we get back home."

Rumsfeld nodded "Sounds a bit over my head, but so long as it doesn't bring any harm to my crew we won't have an issue," he said "As for extra blades I'll likely want to keep most of my men on the ship, wouldn't want to get stranded after all, but there might be a few willing to go stab a few Vints with you."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All in all the captain seemed to take the news of red lyrium in stride, and once the party was aboard he went back to overseeing preparations to cast off. Soon enough the ship began making its way out of the harbor and onto the Waking Sea, the passage to the Free Marches would take time but soon enough the weather proved determined to keep it from being uneventful. The waves grew rough, and rain spattered the deck in torrents while thunder rolled overhead. Still the ship held itself together well enough, cutting through the churning sea with only mild creaking and groaning of its hull.

After three days of intermittent weather, frequently stormy but sometimes dying down to a light rain, the captain called the party together in his cabin. His expression was rather serious.

"I'd like to 'pologise about the way the weather's been," he said "but the sea can be a harsh mistress, and unfortunately I fear we have larger problems. My lookout Tenaraad, the Tal Vashoth, says he's spotted a ship that appears to be following us since we entered the storm. Can't tell much about it, its been using the weather as cover quite well, and while we'd normally have little issue outrunning it the storm is making things hard for us."

He glanced over to Nola "We've no way of knowing who the ship belongs to or what their intentions are," he said "I need to be sure its not something to do with the Inquisition firstly, and secondly I'd like to know what you'd like to do about it. Normally I'd just try to lose them in the storm, or at least keep pace until it breaks and we could run, but they seem a determined sort and for all I know they might have some intent regarding your mission."

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
It wasn?t the worst sea crossing she?d even been on, but it was certainly no noble?s pleasure cruise. During the last three days, she?d done her best to just keep out of the way of the professional sailors; though on a couple of occasions she did lend some muscle when it came to line handling during the worst of it.

Now, standing with the others in the Captain?s cabin, as he explained the potential threat, she leaned a bit closer to Ash. ?Hey Ash,? She said, keeping her voice low, as to not intrude on the Captain talking to Nola. ?What sort of distance can you get with that lightning magic of yours? I?m thinking if you could give those other guys a good zap or two, if the start getting unfriendly, they may just piss off.?

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Ash had spent most of the trip reading. What else to do? Certainly not stand and look at the sea when there was a storm. He'd been aboard ships before, and didn't get very unwell, but something about standing outside in a storm seemed like a bad idea. Besides, he'd get wet, and maker knew these clothes took a while to dry. Sure, he was a mage, and could probably use some of that fire-magic to dry himself, but the sound of the creaking wood and the wind blowing outside was a good background sound when it came to reading, at least in his opinion.

The trip seemed to go well, at least until the captain called them all into the cabin to give them bad news.

"I'd like to 'pologise about the way the weather's been, but the sea can be a harsh mistress, and unfortunately I fear we have larger problems. My lookout Tenaraad, the Tal Vashoth, says he's spotted a ship that appears to be following us since we entered the storm. Can't tell much about it, its been using the weather as cover quite well, and while we'd normally have little issue outrunning it the storm is making things hard for us."

Tal Vashoth, so the same as mom.

A ship having followed them through the storm could mean two things. One, someone was looking to hurt them, or two, someone was following this ship in hopes it would be able to get them through the storm safely. Ash felt like it could be both, but he supposed the former was more likely. Especially if someone had heard them mention Red Lyrium or the Inquisition.

We shouldn't be in much danger though.

The other ship's captain would be stupid to attack them during the storm. Besides, they'd have the benefit if the other ship thought they didn't know.

"What sort of distance can you get with that lightning magic of yours? I'm thinking if you could give those other guys a good zap or two, if the start getting unfriendly, they may just piss off."

He wrinkled his nose, partly joking, partly serious. "I have to go outside?" he asked, whispering. "I'll get wet. But I should be able to get them from a significant distance, lightning magic has a decent reach. Besides, the weather..." he didn't know how to explain it. Lightning magic didn't exactly get its power from the weather, it was the fade like any other magic, but it did have an influence. It also made it more difficult for their possible enemies to notice that it was a spell. "It'll help. Someone else is going to have to keep an eye out though, I'll not attack any old ship and I have a book to finish. And, of course, do note that if they have a mage, they could do the same to us, so, you know. Keep an eye out. Should be fine though." It was clear that Ash didn't seem to worry much about some ship. He was a mage, after all.

"But let's see what the others say," he added, still keeping his voice down so that only Kari could hear him.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Nola nodded with a chuckle. "Sounds fair, Captain." She said with a smirk before taking a deep breath and boarding the vessel herself. She had been hoping to postpone this experience, but they had a mission. She'd sooner give up her hammer than back down cause of her own fear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After three days in a stormy sea, Nola decided she hated sailing. The constant rocking and rolling of the waves against the hull had all but glued her to a bucket, all color drained from her face save a sickly green. It brought her no amount of shame that the dwarf among Rumsford's crew was able to to get along just fine. She had prided herself for years on her endurance, but a few days at sea had brought her to her knees. It took all of her willpower to hold down the contents of her stomach when the captain called them to his cabin.

We've no way of knowing who the ship belongs to or what their intentions are, I need to be sure its not something to do with the Inquisition firstly, and secondly I'd like to know what you'd like to do about it. Normally I'd just try to lose them in the storm, or at least keep pace until it breaks and we could run, but they seem a determined sort and for all I know they might have some intent regarding your mission."

She swallowed before speaking up, holding down her seasickness. "Well....we were told we didn't have the ships to make the trip ourselves Captain. And even if another group was sent, I'd assume they were sent somewhere else, to look for other smuggling hideouts; not the same route." She squeezed her eyes shut and shuddered, taking a deep breath. "I'm out of my element here captain, I know little of sailing or navel warfair." She looked over her group, noting the two Qunari whispering to each other. "So unless anyone else has ideas..." She said, looking at them both, before turning back to Rumsford. "I'll defer to your judgement."

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
The trip was fairly boring for Jarrett. He'd only travelled by sea illegally before and he quickly learned that while he didn't live for excitement, it was a helpful drive in his life. Even a week long march would be better than this. When chatting up the crew grew dull to him, he hoped to find some relief by asking Berund and Nola for sparring, assuming it would be allowed on the ship.

---

When the captain called the party to his attention, Jarrett assumed it was related to their business. What he learned was interesting enough.

"I'd like to 'pologise about the way the weather's been, but the sea can be a harsh mistress, and unfortunately I fear we have larger problems. My lookout Tenaraad, the Tal Vashoth, says he's spotted a ship that appears to be following us since we entered the storm. Can't tell much about it, its been using the weather as cover quite well, and while we'd normally have little issue outrunning it the storm is making things hard for us."

"...I'd vote for diplomacy, but we'd have to get close to them for that. Though if we did, I could maybe sneak aboard, I could stand ready to dispatch any idiots trying to fight us... I hope anyway. 'Course that plan could be modified if you don't wanna try the kind angle, but I'm just offering my best techniques." Jarrett said somewhat proudly, trying to impress the captain. He seemed jovial and the type to enjoy drama. Thinking about it further, he hoped both ships would be open to diplomacy, that would allow the party to twist things to their favour perhaps. And it'd be more interesting anyway.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"I have to go outside? I'll get wet. But I should be able to get them from a significant distance, lightning magic has a decent reach. Besides, the weather..."

Kari found herself struggling to hold her tongue in response to Ash?s whinging; before seasickness had gotten too tight a grip on Nola, they?d had a little ?talk? about Kari?s attitude?and she?d promised to try and behave. So, instead of snapping at Ash she kept her comments to herself and made to with an annoyed glare at the mage. Tough shit princess, you may actually have to get off your ass and do something you don?t want to do?

Nola made a comment about ideas, and pointed looked at her and Ash, but Kari just shook her head; this wasn?t an idea, just contingency planning.

?Though if we did, I could maybe sneak aboard, I could stand ready to dispatch any idiots trying to fight us... I hope anyway.?

Turning away from Ash, she stared at the elf for a moment or two then laughed. ?Didn?t realize you such a keen swimmer.? She said, shaking her head. ?Maker knows I?m no sailor, but I?m sure the good Captain here will agree with me that going for a swim, mid-sea, from a moving ship?during rough weather I might add?is a profoundly foolish idea.?

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Berund considered the situation. He didn't know much encounters at sea. But he knew what it was not knowing if it was a friend or foe on the approach. You could learn shapes in the dark and that'd give you clues, but in the end you could never really know. Not without some kind of signal.

The Legionnaire cleared his throat. "What about a signal? Obviously they can see us. They should know we can see them. There must be some way to communicate, ask their intentions. Right?"

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
"What about a signal? Obviously they can see us. They should know we can see them. There must be some way to communicate, ask their intentions. Right?"

Rumsfeld considered this for a moment "Mm, we've some semaphore flags in the hold, I'm not sure the signals will be visible through the rain but its a better idea than letting your friend drown himself."

He gave a few commands and soon enough Tenaraad stood on the stern of the ship moving flags on poles longer than Jarrett was tall in particular motions. He signaled out a short message and then began repeating it, all the while Rumsfeld watched the tailing shit through a spyglass. The storm had calmed compared to how it had been earlier but the rain was still unrelenting and thunder rumbled in the distance ominously.

"Hm, either they aren't seeing it or none of them know the code," Rumsfeld said with a frown "we've slowed ourselves a bit to try and give them a better chance of seeing the signal and I daresay they're gaining on us now."

He paused for a moment then swore loudly "Andraste's tits, they're Qunari," he said "or at least Qunari are among them, I can see the horns, odd that their ship doesn't look like a Qunari vessel, not any I've seen at least, hmm, Vashoth maybe? Either way the Admiral is not going to like this."

He turned to Nola "If you lot have a better way of signalling to them we can attempt it, otherwise we could try to hold and let them catch up to us then hail them, or make a run for it," he said "Qunari don't tend to attack without cause and we haven't given them one yet but Tal Vashoth can be unpredictable."

Tenaraad grunted.

"Ah, no offense Tenny," he said.

"I was agreeing with you," Tenaraad said simply, then turned to Ash and Kari "If they are Qunari we should get out of sight, they will mistrust us."

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Kari stood quietly out of the way, watching the other vessel, while Nola and Captain Rumsfeld discussed the new arrival. Bearing down on us in foul weather, and ignoring hails?if they?re friendly, I?m a Vint noble. If Nola or the Captain had any sense they?d have Ash and their own mage blast the other ship as soon as the range closed enough. They may not be Venatori, but even common pirates could damage their plans if the bastards were determined enough.

?If they are Qunari we should get out of sight, they will mistrust us."

The thought of ?cowering? below decks did not appeal to her in the slightest. Ignoring Tenaraad, she turned away from the ship and towards Nola and Rumsfeld. ?Is that an order, Sir?? It was his ship, so it was his call.