Adventures in Ninja cookery (discontinued)

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
[HEADING=1]Adventures in Ninja Cookery[/HEADING]

Yeah... It's a comic, but it's gonna be good honest.
I'll have all sorts of escapist-based in jokes and guest appearances.
You'll see, it'll be fantastic (or fabulous if you'd prefer that word)

I suppose a little bit of reasons for this comic might be in order.
Well you see, I wrote a "review" of Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy a while back, what this review lacked in actual, uh... Reviewing-ness, it made up for with snazzy comics.
I received about six requests that I start my own comic and of course, being the egotistical bastard that I am, I got super excited about it and began on my own comic strip.

And so I decided to put it here, many thanks to Anarchemitis and X434343 for giving me the idea of making a thread for this comic (instead of attempting to make my own site, which I can only assume I would suck at)

Here be the first one (sort of half arsed though it may be)

You're still here!?
Well then, I suppose there's no harm in showing you the second one I made.
I decided to go more for a story type comic than a "set up, set up, set up, punchline" sort of comic, so apologies to anyone with a short attention span. As it's rather long (28 panels)

The premise is that it's based in the mythical land of Themis (because "Escapia" would have been a bit too obvious) and it will (for now at least) follow the Iron Ninja and his band of companions on their journey, running into all sorts of slightly subtle forum related in jokes and a large cast of zany (yeah I went there) special guests.
The above comic was more of an introduction than a showcase of what the other comics will be like, I will try my darndest to have it concern other escapists instead of just me all the time.

Suggestions/Criticisms/Death threats are welcome.

Edit:
Here be links for ye to the later comics, instead of you having to run through the (much appreciated) comments to find them

Comic 1 & comic 2: right here.

Comic 3:Here

Comic 4: Here

Comic 5: here

Comic 6: here

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
This is really really really fucking cool. I look forward to more. After all, the Escapist likes nothing more than talking about itself and webcomics. These combined is like Escapist heaven.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
'How can you drink through those two masks?'

The expression on your ninja-face, priceless. I laughed. Alot.

I watch this space with great interest.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
This is really really really fucking cool. I look forward to more. After all, the Escapist likes nothing more than talking about itself and webcomics and ridiculous RPGs with too many in-jokes. These combined is like Escapist heaven.
An addendum added :)

I like Mr. Iron Ninja. Bookmarked. I admit, you didn't get much lol'ing from me on this occasion, but I did have a smile plastered on my face throughout and that's jolly more than I can say for most webcomics these days. As for criticsms/friendly advice: Work on the text size. I feel you've not yet found a happy medium of good font and good size, so that still needs work.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
This is really really really fucking cool. I look forward to more. After all, the Escapist likes nothing more than talking about itself and webcomics. These combined is like Escapist heaven.
Yay!
*Jumps in the air and clicks heels together*

I will probably be making one comic a week, but it depends on how busy/lazy I am.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Good start, your skills with paint are almost as deadly as your ninja cooking skills. IronChef and Hopkins in the row boat is fantastic.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Meh. Not really sure what's up with this whole new ninja fad to begin with. Didn't we already do this back in 1994? Like monkeys, pirates or Master Chief, ninjas are not inherently funny. Are you going to MAKE them funny, or is this going to turn into a "oOo00 l00k a n1nja!!1!" thing?

(Obviously I don't think the "drinks through his mask" thing is funny. Or the crab.)

I mean, not to crush your creative impulse or anything. But...

*crush*

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
I find myself impressed, and eagerly awaiting more. Good luck to thee, sir!

Feb 13, 2008
TheBluesader said:
Meh. moan moan moan
I think a gambling saying comes here "Put up or shut up". Iron_Ninja's put some hard work into this. If you want to criticise, at least put some constructive criticism. Even Walt Disney's first effort wasn't astounding.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
TheBluesader said:
Meh. Not really sure what's up with this whole new ninja fad to begin with. Didn't we already do this back in 1994? Like monkeys, pirates or Master Chief, ninjas are not inherently funny. Are you going to MAKE them funny, or is this going to turn into a "oOo00 l00k a n1nja!!1!" thing?

(Obviously I don't think the "drinks through his mask" thing is funny. Or the crab.)

I mean, not to crush your creative impulse or anything. But...

*crush*
Listen not, Ninja! Comedic tastes differ! You cannot please everyone!

And given the other responses in this thread, you should be inspired!

*Shakes fist at Bluesader* You be quiet, you...

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I think a gambling saying comes here "Put up or shut up". Iron_Ninja's put some hard work into this. If you want to criticise, at least put some constructive criticism. Even Walt Disney's first effort wasn't astounding.
Hey. I've had my own bad web comic. I stopped doing it primarily because of all the work it took. I understand how hard it is to put one of these together, even if it isn't funny.

Which this isn't. To me. Which is my opinion. Which I thus opine in the forum which exists for opining. So in other words, I'm awesome.

Ultrajoe said:
Listen not, Ninja! Comedic tastes differ! You cannot please everyone!

And given the other responses in this thread, you should be inspired!

*Shakes fist at Bluesader* You be quiet, you...
See above.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
TheBluesader said:
Meh. moan moan moan
Are you perhaps suggesting that 50 years from now children the world over will be watching Walt Ninja classic story tales?

I hope you are cause that comic was really good. Not extremely funny, but it shows promise and it was interesting enough in its adventure-yness to keep me reading.

Unfortunately I have a bad feeling about Larry...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
TheBluesader said:
Meh. moan moan moan
Are you perhaps suggesting that 50 years from now children the world over will be watching Walt Ninja classic story tales?
And just think, we can tell our grandkids that "I knew him when..."

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
This may sound amazingly assumptious, is Jim Lad based on me?

on topic, the comic is just about as awesome as i would expect from you. and once again you have made me smile on what has been a crappy day. *raises sonic screwdriver* Hats off to you mighty ninja chef

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Amnestic said:
Armitage Shanks said:
TheBluesader said:
Meh. moan moan moan
"What did he look like grandpa?"
"Ugh, I think he had a mustache, yep... definitely a handlebar mustache. And his nickname was Gone Gonzo..."
"You never really met him did you grandpa?"

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
Amnestic said:
Armitage Shanks said:
TheBluesader said:
Meh. moan moan moan
"What did he look like grandpa?"
"Ugh, I think he had a mustache, yep... definitely a handlebar mustache. And his nickname was Gone Gonzo..."
"You never really met him did you grandpa?"
"I called him Jimmy."
"Why'd you call him Jimmy gramps?"
"WHAT?"
"I said: Why'd you call him Jimmy gramps?"
"High flyers told you Timmy's got cramps!? What?"
"No, gramps, why'd you call him Jimmy?"
"You need to go to Minny's to go buy some lamps?"

I fully expect to have lost my hearing by the time I'm 50 >_>

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Amnestic said:
I fully expect to have lost my hearing by the time I'm 50 >_>
Don't we all?

Oh and forgot to mention it before, but in the Gerald back-story, the pirate Travis Bickle, I think thats gotta get an award for most genius and obscure in-joke.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
jim_doki said:
This may sound amazingly assumptious, is Jim Lad based on me?
I was thinking the same thing. I can't wait to see all the different cameos.
Translation: When's my Cameo?

Don't worry Daemon, we're all thinking it.