Advertisement Gives Lego People Intricate Tattoos

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Well, it's not bad advertising.
It tells you what you need to know and it's entertaining to look at.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh wow...although question is why would you ever need anything THAT fine? o_O

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
I'm not sure these are real.

Disregarding any accusations of photoshop, I would have liked to see some scale comparisons.

Given that giant lego men exist, this would be far less impressive if it had been drawn on one of these.

Jet_02

Jul 10, 2010
porschecm2 said:
Impressive, if indeed they did that with the pen. However, after opening them in PS and examining them closely, I'm reasonably confident they're photoshopped. Still awesome, however.

Cm2
wut bs as a graphic designer and digital artist, I know that opening a .jpeg .ping or any other form of basic image file in photoshop, illustrator or any other adobe software will not tell you if its been 'photoshopped' (unless there are blatant irregularities in shading or lighting which there isn't). With images this size, zooming in on the lines close enough to see if there digitally rendered will degrade them to a mass of pixels and make them unrecognizable as fake or otherwise. If you have a source to an illustrator vector file, however you could tell if they where photoshopped or not.

heavy-metal-ink

Dec 10, 2009
I bet they'd make a nice little bonus for themselves by selling them as part of the advertising campaign.
Either way, they look awesome, and the one with the dragon sleeve is probably my favorite.
Now, gotta go get myself one of those pens before college starts again!

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
I actually want the LEGO characters more than the pen but I need to get my hands on one of those too. I also want to know who did the art because they are amazing (assuming these are real).

porschecm2

Jun 5, 2009
Jet_02 said:
porschecm2 said:
Impressive, if indeed they did that with the pen. However, after opening them in PS and examining them closely, I'm reasonably confident they're photoshopped. Still awesome, however.
wut bs as a graphic designer and digital artist, I know that opening a .jpeg .ping or any other form of basic image file in photoshop, illustrator or any other adobe software will not tell you if its been 'photoshopped' (unless there are blatant irregularities in shading or lighting which there isn't). With images this size, zooming in on the lines close enough to see if there digitally rendered will degrade them to a mass of pixels and make them unrecognizable as fake or otherwise. If you have a source to an illustrator vector file, however you could tell if they where photoshopped or not.
As a graphic designer and digital artist myself, of course I'm aware that simply opening them in PS or Illustrator won't "tell" me if they're photoshopped. I opened them there to examine them more closely, to find said irregularities. And I believe I found some. As an avid Lego fan, I am highly familiar with Lego, and what photographed Lego looks like.

Notice, for instance, on the pirate figure, the tattooed rope which hangs vertically in the middle of his stomach; it extends just slightly lower than the torso. Also, in numerous instances in several of the photographs, the tattoos do not actually extend around the arms, but end several pixels before the edge of the arm. This would indicate that unless the artist knew *precisely* to within micrometers the angle the photograph was to be taken at, that the tattoo was added after the photograph was taken There are several other such small tip-offs. There are no "blatant" irregularities, as you say, but there are minor irregularities. You wouldn't expect to find any blatant ones from someone who's competent using photoshop. Conclusive? Not entirely; but I never claimed to be 100% certain. But added to the fact that, as I say, I am extremely familiar with Lego, and what can be done with it, while it is *possible* that someone actually "tattooed" these figs, the extreme skill necessary to do so makes it highly unlikely. The level of detail there is akin to carving things on a toothpick. Possible? Yes. Unlikely for an ad campaign though.

Omegatronacles said:
I'm not sure these are real.

Disregarding any accusations of photoshop, I would have liked to see some scale comparisons.

Given that giant lego men exist, this would be far less impressive if it had been drawn on one of these.
Given that these are, before tattooing, all recently produced Lego figures, I think that's unlikely enough to be discounted. I believe I would be able to recognize a change in scale of the fig, if these were not regular classic minifigs.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Whether or not they are legit (which I doubt), they still looks freaking cool, and a great marketing stratergy.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I know someone got a hand cramp from writing on that. That is truly remarkable and makes me want to buy those pens. :)