Advocacy Group Angry That Moms Hate Dead Space 2

pinkfloyd625

Jan 29, 2010
The ad airs on major networks, which means it's viewed by all demographics, which means that moms see it as much as the kids do. If they were targeting kids, would they really make sure every mom labels DS2 as "that game I hate"?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I'm 20 and my mother hates Dead Space 2. Yeah the advertizements are funny and they also happen to be accurate.

For the record my mother doesn't buy my games for me, I spent $87 pre-ordering Shogun 2 Total War and Dawn of War 2 Retribution today.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Instead of complaining about some harmless humour, why don't they just follow the ad's advice and not buy an 18+ game for their children.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Azuaron said:
Let me draw an analogy:

Tobacco companies have been prevented from using cartoon animals to promote cigarettes for a number of years now. This doesn't mean that adults don't like cartoon animals. It means that children find cartoon animals more appealing.

So, who's EA really targeting with this ad? The 17-34 age demographic who cares less about what their mothers think? Or the mid-teenager who's chafing under his parent's "restrictive" rules while "becoming an adult"?
That's a great analogy, and probably one of the reasons why I think EA and Visceral were being mean spirited with this.

Honestly, while I can chuckle a bit at the ridiculousness of the scenario, I just don't think it was dignified of EA or Visceral with the campaign. Fine, (most) everyone has a mother, but the advertisement gave off a distinct juvenile feel directed more to 14 year olds. So, to the majority extent, I have to side with Common Sense Media.

That and it doesn't really help our case with "Video Games are nothing but violent murder simulators for the immature man child!"

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Common Sense media should go viral with a counter-campaign video that shows Mums playing dead-space and completely loving. Unfortunately they won't do that because that would be completely awesome.

Jarcin

Oct 1, 2010
Regardless who the commercial is or isn't inadvertently appealing to, children under 16 can't purchase the game under the current ESRB laws so what does it matter?

It seems like it would be appealing to ANYONE who likes to rebel against their parents, not just those 16 and younger.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
This is a first, I'm actually on the side of the advocacy group.

Eww, feels weird and icky. And, eugh, responsible.

Most people who can buy the game don't care what their mothers think of what they do in their spare time, nor do the majority of their mothers care either. Especially not with something as banal as a videogame.

This campaign raised a small smile from me, one that was nostalgia based and so quite weak. I then felt awkward because straight away I thought this is aimed at those who don't meet the age requirements for independent purchase, those who'd feel a strong response to this campaign. I then felt patronised, if I am the target audience I'm apparently an immature prat.

I don't think the kids of today are yet weak willed enough to be mind controlled by such an obvious marketing ploy. I do however, think it gives out a bad message; one that only perpetuates the image that videogames are for kids, regardless of content and rating.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
I am 27 and I thought the ads were completely stupid. I agree with Common sense media on this one. The ads while maybe not meant to appeal to the under 17 crowd certainly do.

Like Azuron said I think the majority of people 17+ could care less what their mom thinks about the games they play.

Yes I get that the campaign was a joke, but that doesn't mean that it can't have negative side effects.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
I'm with them. First time I saw this campaign i thought, "This is for 12-year=olds." Anyone who's actually of age to buy dead space 2 should probably feel insulted and pandered to.

gring

Sep 14, 2010
kurupt87 said:
I don't think the kids of today are yet weak willed enough to be mind controlled by such an obvious marketing ploy.

OH! HAHA! AHAHAHAHAH! OMG LAWL!! THATS A GOOD ONE!! /kneeslap

oh wait, you were serious?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
These commercials actually put me OFF of the game. They're silly and saying that "my mother hates it" due to its violent nature is...very childlike. I purchased the game and I love it, but I don't have to give two shits about what my mom thinks because I can purchase the game on my own anyways.

They'd have done better making an actual commercial instead of playing off of the silly expressions. The game is FAR more then something that "your mother will hate."

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
What I want to know is when EA will start advertising, I dunno, their games. They at least managed to advertise a reason why I should buy their game this time, so that's a step up.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wouldn't this ad campaign be helping keep this game out of kids hands. I mean if a mom sees this then their kids asks for the game don't you think they will say not a snowflake's chance in hell?

I mean showing a bunch of footage would be be a far better way to market it to kids.

Om Nom Nom

Feb 13, 2010
That campaign actually convinced me not to get the game. Why? If the only selling point is that it is "edgy", it's going to be a pretty damn bad game. I might try it out if I see it on sale though, since DS1 was good...

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Yes, everyone has a mother so these ads were clearly aimed at everyone. Oh Escapist, sometimes you crack me up with how far you are prepared to go to protect the industry. Recent EA advertising for games from Visceral and Bioware has so obviously been insulting trash aimed to make the games appeal to kids. New shit, sin to win, your mother would hate this. I don't see Bobby Kotick sinking to this level. Kids seem to want to buy his violent games without any of this.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
I'm 27, and my mother loves Dead Space 2. She punctuates her use of the rail gun with "DIE MOTHERF#CKER, DIE!" She then invites young adults to play the game with her for realz, using actual nail guns. When they mishandle them and shoot their limbs, she laughs uproariously and shoots them from behind, then teabags them.

Of course, I'm kidding. Mothers deny you certain things for a reason. It's called "not getting your @ss killed before you know any better".