Advocacy Group Angry That Moms Hate Dead Space 2

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Advocacy Group Angry That Moms Hate Dead Space 2

Common Sense Media is asking for sanctions against EA for its recent campaign promoting Dead Space 2 with horrified mothers.

EA and Visceral Games took a different approach with their marketing campaign for conservative mothers [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Playstation-3/dp/B00309XHD0] rather than the target audience, claiming: "Your mom hates Dead Space 2." Common Sense Media isn't amused by the campaign, not because of its nature, but because the family advocacy group feels the ads are overly appealing to kids under 17.

Dead Space 2 is recommended for kids 17 and older by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board, so Common Sense Media hopes the organization will sanction EA for its use of the ad campaign. Common Sense Media Chief Executive Jim Steyer wrote a letter to ESRB president Patricia Vance, saying he believes that EA is in violation of the ESRB's Principles and Guidelines for Responsible Advertising Practices by making ads that are "irresistible" to kids.

Vance disagrees, replying to Stayer with: "Just because a product desires to be seen as 'cool' or 'edgy' does not in and of itself necessitate that it is directed at children." EA spokeswoman Amanda Taggart also revealed that the company works hard to ensure it follows ESRB rules, and had the campaign approved before it aired.

Common Sense Media is in a unique position because of the fact that it praises violent games for their strengths while ensuring that parents know they're not for kids. I can see where the organization is coming from with the Dead Space 2 campaign, but I have a feeling it forgot one key point: Everyone has a mother. There's no way it can be proven that EA was targeting a segment of consumers younger than 16 when plenty of people 17 and older also have a mom.

Source: LA Times [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/02/your-mom-hates-dead-space-2-advert-stirring-controversy.html]

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I don't know, I usually hate advocacy groups, but Common Sense is actually one of the OK ones.
I might be inclined to agree with them, to people at and over the age rating the ad may seem funny or juvenile.
To a younger kid, this type of stuff would sell better with them.

Just watch the Zero Punctuation review of Manhunt and that's the point I'm trying to make.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I'm with EA here. Almost 18 myself. Everyone who has the game that I know of (up to the age of 21) loved the adverts because they were hilarious.

Edit:

This just in, political correctness strikes. Won't somebody please think of the children, more at 7

laryri

May 19, 2008
When watching these ads I was under the impression that they were marketing to people under the age rating.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
I can see where Common Sense is coming from here. When I was a kid I would do anything I was told not to. I can't totally disagree with this, for a change.

Apr 28, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
ractices by making ads that are "irresistible" to kids.

Vance disagrees, replying to Stayer with: "Just because a product desires to be seen as 'cool' or 'edgy' does not in and of itself necessitate that it is directed at children." EA spokeswoman Amanda Taggart also revealed that the company works hard to ensure it follows ESRB rules, and had the campaign approved before it aired.
Then who is it supposed to appeal to? Adults who buy whatever the hell they want with their money and don't care too much what their mother's think about it? While I doubt its aimed at children, but it is aimed at an age group thats below the game's rating.

Common Sense Media is in a unique position because of the fact that it praises violent games for their strengths while ensuring that parents know they're not for kids. I can see where the organization is coming from with the Dead Space 2 campaign, but I have a feeling it forgot one key point: Everyone has a mother. There's no way it can be proven that EA was targeting a segment of consumers younger than 16 when plenty of people 17 and older also have a mom.
They also have money, and can buy whatever they want, and don't care much if their mother's don't like it. Making this marketing campaign rather pointless to them. Sure most 17-19 year olds will rely on their parents, but thats a really specific age group to target.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
The relationship between a mother and child is most expressed under the age of 18, as that is the average age where most people start changing from dependents to independents. It is obviously easier to understand how this would be a MORE appealing marketing campaign towards someone who is 15 or 16 years old than to someone who is 21 or 22 years old.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I got the impression that they were trying to sell to immaturity. "Hey your mom doesn't like it! That means you do!" I'd get it if it was some kind of rebellious theme, or if I found it funny, but I think it went too far.

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
I can see were they are coming from. The first time I saw those adds I thought that they spoke more to the younger audience. Yes, everybody has a mother, but who actively wants to defy his parents and thinks it would be cool to do something they despise? Teenagers hitting puberty.
Those adverts are stupid anyways. Is the only important thing in this game the violence? Because that's the impression I get when I watch them.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Kalezian said:
so, a parental advocacy group is complaining because a commercial is portraying what parents actually think about a game?

did........did we tear a rip in the space-time continuum?
i think its more the fact its seducing teenagers with the campaign instead of ppl old enough to actually buy the game. I believe

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I thought Dead Space 2 was great, but the ad campaign was pretty awful. Yeah, people of all ages have moms, but if you're 17+ and the thought of your mom hating something makes it seem cool and edgy to you, then it's probably time to grow up. The ads are definitely more suitable for a younger age group, so I can see where Common Sense Media is coming from here.

TheDoomPenguin

Mar 25, 2010
I agree with them too. 17 and under is generally the only time in a person's life when their parents have direct control over their media consumption habits. Once they're out of your parents house, why would anyone care what their mom thinks of the game they're playing? It won't affect their mom at all since she won't be there(except in the case of manchildren :p). It's clearly aimed at minors.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
RatRace123 said:
I don't know, I usually hate advocacy groups, but Common Sense is actually one of the OK ones.
I might be inclined to agree with them, to people at and over the age rating the ad may seem funny or juvenile.
To a younger kid, this type of stuff would sell better with them.
I agree. I failed to see how "You mom will hate it" will make me want to buy the game. It really seems it is targeting the kids.

Chewiemuse

Jan 22, 2011
Plus if you think about it...this commercial would make alot of moms with kids aware they wouldn't approve and shouldn't buy this game for their kids..duh

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Let me draw an analogy:

Tobacco companies have been prevented from using cartoon animals to promote cigarettes for a number of years now. This doesn't mean that adults don't like cartoon animals. It means that children find cartoon animals more appealing.

So, who's EA really targeting with this ad? The 17-34 age demographic who cares less about what their mothers think? Or the mid-teenager who's chafing under his parent's "restrictive" rules while "becoming an adult"?

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
I can't think of a single person of normal, or better, intelligence who has said they *don't* think these ads are targeting kids under the age rating.