Aerannis Puts Stealth Action Gameplay in a Post-Feminist Dystopia

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Aerannis Puts Stealth Action Gameplay in a Post-Feminist Dystopia

The Kickstarter game Aerannis, which is about halfway finished, stars a female transgender assassin struggling with her identity and culture.

At first glance, Aerannis doesn't sound wildly different than many other crowd-funding projects we hear about on a daily basis. The self-described Metroidvania combines stealth and action gameplay in a future where "Earth was torn apart by war and populations wiped out by other unknown causes." Dig a little deeper, however, and something stands out: Aerannis is described by its creators as "about a trans woman assassin in a post-feminist dystopia."

"'Post-feminist' is referring to the government having declared itself attaining complete equality for all and achieving feminism's end goals," ektomarch's Ronald Rollins told The Escapist. "The society is feminist in the sense that the Soviet Union was communist. It was in theory and in name, but not in practice as there was a very large divide of wealth and power between the people and the inner circles of the government." While Aerannis isn't meant to encompass any particular politcal leanings, Rollins called its approach to feminism "mostly a critique of radicalism."

The game's heroine, Ceyda Farhi, is a transgender woman and Bulgarian Turk, meaning she's "been marginalized by society since day one." Her background is partially based in real-life events like the politcal extremism in Bulgaria [http://articles.latimes.com/1989-06-18/news/mn-3696_1_bulgarian-turks-bulgarian-names-ethnic-turks].

While Aerannis may sound critical towards feminist ideals, Rollins says, "The game's neutral/leaning towards feminism as a whole (and very much in support of respecting gender and sexual identities, etc)." Instead, ektomarch is trying to highlight "the divide between trans-exclusionary radical feminists and inclusionary feminists."

The world of Aerannis features the planet's only surviving city, Plovdiv, which appears to be a thriving all-female utopian society, but as the Kickstarter details, things aren't quite right in Plovdiv. During a series of seemingly routine assassinations, Farhi uncovers an organized revolt against the government that could throw the surviving world into chaos, which poses an interesting dilemma: "in a society where being a woman is a prerequisite for being human, does someone who's often not considered a 'whole woman' have any duty to save those who hate her?"

Rollins cites psychedelic art, Ristar, Pulseman, and Metroid Fusion as Aerannis' biggest graphical influences, with "a clean, colorful, plastic future... to show that it's a society that cares more about outward appearance over actually addressing the concerns of the people." The Kickstarter goes into great detail about the open-ended stealth action gameplay; Farhi can approach situations differently, taking hostages, making distracting noises, or setting traps. It's not all sneaking around, though, and some situations will require a more action-packed approach; "her gun isn't just for decoration," as the Kickstarter description reads.

With 19 days to go, Aerannis has raised $2,629 of its $6,000 goal. Rollins explains that ektomarch is "about 50% of the way through development," and without the Kickstarter funding, "progress will slow down substantially." If ektomarch meets its crowd-funding goal, Aerannis is planned for a late 2015 release on PC, Mac, and Linux.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ektomarch/aerannis]

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
So, here we have a game that will be lauded by social justice types even if it's crap, and anybody who criticizes it will be labeled a bigot. Calling it now. Saw it happen with Gone Home already.

Jan 12, 2012
An Ceannaire said:
So, here we have a game that will be lauded by social justice types even if it's crap, and anybody who criticizes it will be labeled a bigot. Calling it now. Saw it happen with Gone Home already.
Eh, I can see it going the other way, with people saying the devs are taking shots at feminists and accusing them of making a transgender protagonist solely to be a shield. And most of the arguments I saw about Gone Home were about whether or not it's actually a game; I didn't even know that there was anything social justice-y to argue about.

OT: Sounds kinda interesting, and I'll be interested to see how it comes off. Metroidvania stuff was never great at telling a very complex or compelling story, and I kinda want to see whether they can balance good mechanics with whatever they're trying to say in a way that's better than endless audio logs.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
An Ceannaire said:
Could go both ways really
Feminists could latch on the whole "feminist dystopia" thing
Because how dare anyone say that feminism could have horrible results.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
An Ceannaire said:
It's kinda sad that that's not far-fetched of an outcome.

More on topic, it seems that the character is diverse for the sake of diversity. Basically opening up with 'LOOK AT HOW OPPRESSED THIS CHARACTER IS' by being transgender and a Bulgarian Turk. Just seems outlandish to just throw that all out there. Sort of like John Wick and the whole 'THEY KILLED MY DOG' scenario. Although it works for the movie because it's supposed to be over-the-top, ridiculous action. But if the developers of this game intend to tackle social issues, I'm not entirely certain how they aim to accomplish that here.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
blackrave said:
Damn, I didn't consider that of that possibility - I can already visualize the angry Tumblr posts branding it misogynistic and anti-Feminist. Now that I think of it, this game could split the social justice crowd in a rather interesting way.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
blackrave said:
An Ceannaire said:
I think this is actually important for multiple reasons.

radicals need to be shown the error of there ways.

people need to see the error in radicalism.

feminism can fail and its time some people faced that.

With all these realized and once critical thinking returns to feminism i feel it will have a brighter future.:) For now though its like a candle in a dark room.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Mortis Nuncius said:
An Ceannaire said:
It's kinda sad that that's not far-fetched of an outcome.

More on topic, it seems that the character is diverse for the sake of diversity. Basically opening up with 'LOOK AT HOW OPPRESSED THIS CHARACTER IS' by being transgender and a Bulgarian Turk. Just seems outlandish to just throw that all out there. Sort of like John Wick and the whole 'THEY KILLED MY DOG' scenario. Although it works for the movie because it's supposed to be over-the-top, ridiculous action. But if the developers of this game intend to tackle social issues, I'm not entirely certain how they aim to accomplish that here.
......No.

The character lives in a world of her own. In this dystopia her unique background of living literally in the background of society gives her a snipers view of things. Thus she can take in the good and the bad that was accomplished under the flag of "feminism."

at least thats what I see. im not sure how she is oppressed in this society but im sure they will hash that out.

as someone who values critical thinking over label loving this is on my list.:)

edit: I copied this from the front page so yeah her being outcast makes sense.

While carrying out some routine assassinations, Ceyda becomes aware of something: these assassinations are anything but routine.All of these missions involve an organized revolt against the government and foundations of society. As she becomes aware of the force behind it, an ancient organization of otherworldly beings who've guided humanity's advances (and downfalls) since the dawn of time, there's one question lingering in the back of her mind: in a society where being a woman is a prerequisite for being human, does someone who's often not considered a "whole woman" have any duty to save those who hate her? And would they even believe her if she told them?

Also Ceyda is one of the first trans women in a gaming so that is important of course it will seem like "controversy bait" Still it seems the dev has a good head on their shoulders. Critizing radicalism within your movement while still upholding your movements values takes alot. it takes really being your own person and I implore anyone interested in the game to consider that before writing the game off.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
I'm sorry but everything in this game seems like controversy bait.

On another note: 6000 dollars? I know a lot of developers have been cutting their asking price short in order to actually get the funding but that's ridiculous.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
...Yyyyyyyyyeah, this reeks of whatever the Video game equivalent of clickbait is.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
An Ceannaire said:
blackrave said:
Damn, I didn't consider that of that possibility - I can already visualize the angry Tumblr posts branding it misogynistic and anti-Feminist. Now that I think of it, this game could split the social justice crowd in a rather interesting way.
Funny, I came here looking for GG heads to be exploding over whether to laud or loathe the concept. I mean, isn't anti-radical-feminism a big thing for you?

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
FancyNick said:

On another note: 6000 dollars? I know a lot of developers have been cutting their asking price short in order to actually get the funding but that's ridiculous.
I think that was intentional, It seems to be trying to follow the same kind of river that 1984 or Fahrenheit 451 go canoeing down. But, instead of the perils of Communism, or Censorship, it's about the one true evil to all gamers everywhere... FEMINISM!

Also, just a transgender Bulgarian Turkish woman? I think we should take this a little farther. Why not a Transgender pansexual otherkin bulgarian turkish furry with jewish heritage? Gotta go whole horse. Maybe it's a stretch goal? Sequel?

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
JarinArenos said:
Funny, I came here looking for GG heads to be exploding over whether to laud or loathe the concept. I mean, isn't anti-radical-feminism a big thing for you?
Sorry to disappoint, but I've steered clear of the entire GG debacle. I see no point in engaging in something that's going to blow over anyway.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
An Ceannaire said:
Now that I think of it, this game could split the social justice crowd in a rather interesting way.
Oh boy, I really hope it does, because it'd be interesting to see what would happen if they got a taste of their own medicine.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
An Ceannaire said:
JarinArenos said:
Sorry to disappoint, but I've steered clear of the entire GG debacle. I see no point in engaging in something that's going to blow over anyway.
Apologies, I mistook your avatar for Vivian James.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
EyeReaper said:
FancyNick said:

I think that was intentional, It seems to be trying to follow the same kind of river that 1984 or Fahrenheit 451 go canoeing down. But, instead of the perils of Communism, or Censorship, it's about the one true evil to all gamers everywhere... FEMINISM!

Also, just a transgender Bulgarian Turkish woman? I think we should take this a little farther. Why not a Transgender pansexual otherkin bulgarian turkish furry with jewish heritage? Gotta go whole horse. Maybe it's a stretch goal? Sequel?
If I could give this Kickstarter negative dollars, I would.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Kalezian said:
what's this? a game showing how transgendered male to female peoples are hated by feminists because they "could never be a real woman"?

A Feminist Dystopia as well?

and a group of "rebels" fighting back against the feminist bullshit?

Sounds like someone is tired of being bullied by the Social Justice Morons..
The vast majority of those "SJWs" and Tumblerites you hate are the most vocal about trans rights and the harms caused by second-wave radical feminism.