Aerannis Puts Stealth Action Gameplay in a Post-Feminist Dystopia

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
An Ceannaire said:
Now that I think of it, this game could split the social justice crowd in a rather interesting way.
Oh boy, I really hope it does, because it'd be interesting to see what would happen if they got a taste of their own medicine.
Thing is, as I implied with my original comment, you never know which way this is going to go. The social justice crowd could just as easily latch onto it as they might brand it the antichrist.

Still, it's gonna be fun to watch either way.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
JarinArenos said:
Kalezian said:
The vast majority of those "SJWs" and Tumblerites you hate are the most vocal about trans rights and the harms caused by second-wave radical feminism.
It seems like you and me have very different experiences with internet Social Justice types in that case. Just because you say one thing as opposed to another doesn't make it true. When it comes to a group as large and "influential" as the internet social justice movement, people tend to see what they want to see in them.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
This is going to end in one of two ways; both are hilarious. Some unhinged group is going to latch onto it, throw a huge temper tantrum, and then Sterling will say something snarky about it.
Kinda hope it does get funded...

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
FancyNick said:
I'm sorry but everything in this game seems like controversy bait.
I beg to differ. It's a retro, indie 2D platformer, which is honestly playing it safe considering how many RI2DPs we get on a regular basis, even last gen and before the 2011 Kickstarter boom. I can see how you'd say that given the game's pitch, but I'm willing to give Rollins benefit of the doubt seeing as he's going after more than just "feminism is bad". He's familiar enough with political trends on the other side of the world from where he is, indicating he's not your average knee-jerk MRA, plus he's articulated his points well enough that it looks like he'll write something worth reading.

FancyNick said:
On another note: 6000 dollars? I know a lot of developers have been cutting their asking price short in order to actually get the funding but that's ridiculous.
On the high end or the low end? The guy said on the page that it was already halfway through development, so they probably ran out of savings and are trying to finish it via crowdfunding.

GreenSkin99

Sep 13, 2013
"Sorry to disappoint, but I've steered clear of the entire GG debacle. I see no point in engaging in something that's going to blow over anyway."

Any day now! It's been three months but any day now!

Haha such delusions.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
I mean, holy shit. It's a satire of itself. They went through a checklist of minorities to make the character. It's almost astounding that you could have so little self awareness. I don't know how anyone could take something like this seriously. I hope it turns out to be a joke project.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It's a little amusing to see this pop up.

Keep in mind, the target of satire in this is "Feminists" who don't believe that transgendered women are worth of the title "Woman", rather than you know, actual feminists.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Kalezian said:
I hear those egalitarians are all for giving people the same rights as everyone else regardless of gender, race, or sexual preference.
I'd like to one day meet some of these "egalitarians" that actually admit there's still rampant inequality in gender, race, and other areas, rather than just using the re-labling to sound high-minded while avoiding the issues. I'm not really being sarcastic here, I really would like to. I just haven't.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Well then.

This game is certainly, um... 'topical' doesn't seem quite right to me. Is it just a sci-fi exploring a matriarchal shift in world power? Like, just replacing men in power with women? I really don't see how it's incorporating (third wave?) feminism as I understand it.

Are there no men left in the world at all? That can be a fun concept to explore, like Y the Last Man. But minus the man. But it doesn't sound like an actual result of feminism (or a post-feminist condition), at least to me. That part sounds a bit sensationalized/inflammatory.

I admit I'm curious about the premise only because I'm having a hard time sorting out who I should give a damn about- the rough part for me is that I really have a hard time sympathizing with what assassins in general think about the bigger picture and potentially righting wrongs done by others... they are assassins. My interest in such characters is fairly low.

My captcha was 'slush fund'. Not at six grand it ain't, my friend.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Kalezian said:
The Lunatic said:
It's a little amusing to see this pop up.

Keep in mind, the target of satire in this is "Feminists" who don't believe that transgendered women are worth of the title "Woman", rather than you know, actual feminists.

there is a difference?

I mean, Feminist is an all encompassing label, kind of like "gamer".

I dont see "feminists" in particular bending over backwards to help transgendered women, only the ones that shame them for "pretending" to be female.
Just like how christians have many different denominations feminists have different types of feminism. The one he is critcising is exclusionary radical feminism.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
The Lunatic said:
The target is me, in other words. It's got nothing to do with worth, by the way. I am a man because I am male, I was born with an X any a Y chromosome and I have a penis. I disagree with transsexuals and their advocates because they read more into it than that, and I find it offensive that believing an physically male person should ever need to "turn in their man card" has become a symbol of progressive orthodoxy instead of being reviled for advocating conformity to gender stereotypes.

Jan 27, 2011
Huh. Neat.

Would fund this just to see how it turns out, but I can't really afford to do that right now. :( Oh well. I'll keep an eye out for this when it's done.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
*Bangs head against wall*

This thread has proven that, once again, you people who constantly complain about SJWs and people on Tumblr are completely ignorant of what those people actually want. As someone who spends quite a bit of time on Tumblr and willingly runs into social justice fairly frequently (and I suppose you could count me as one too, if you want to pigeon hole people), this sounds like exactly the kind of examination of feminism they'd like. Let's break it down:

(Oh, first, BIG disclaimer, this is based on what I've read in this article and watching the trailer (which is 100% gameplay by the way. I don't have any super secret knowledge, I'm just interpreting this based on what they've said and my knowledge of SJW... Stuff.)

---​

1. Saying the setting is post-feminism, especially with the comparison to the Soviet Union, is very interesting. You see, one of the things that gets commonly criticised by "SJWs" is the notion of post racial, post gender, post whatever-form-of-discrimination society; or rather, not that those things are bad but that we are nowhere near achieving them and that claiming that we have only causes people to turn a blind eye to any inequality that still exists. So in this case, based on the Soviet Union comparison, the idea seems to be that it's not feminism that is inherently destructive (so I assume since they say they're neutral towards feminism as a whole), it's patting each other on the back and declaring "Mission Accomplished!" when you still live in a world full of problems. Basically, the description of this post-feminism setting makes me think of this:

2. The subject of transgender rights, and trans women in particular, gets argued over a lot. Those described as trans-exclusionary radical feminists are, well, against seeing trans women as women, in particular coming up with ideas that trans men are 'deserters' and trans women are 'men trying to infiltrate... Stuff'. Loosely speaking, anyway. If you've ever actually been on Tumblr for long, you know they get quite a lot of well-earned shit for being arseholes like that. So basically if the rulers, the villains of the piece, are trans-exclusionary feminists then I'm betting you that 90% of SJWs are going to be entirely in agreement that they should be brought down.

3. HURR DURR HAVING A PLAYER CHARACTER WHO'S PART OF TWO MINORITIES IS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD, HURR DURR. I swear to fucking God seeing this always pisses me off, because it's such blatant bullshit. Being part of a minority is not like assigning character points, okay? Some people are racial minorities. A certain percentage of that minority will also be parts of other minorities. This is basic maths guys. Bulgarian Turks, or any other racial group, are not somehow incapable of being transgender in this case, or gay, or disabled, or whatever else. It seems weird to me that people don't get this. Oh, and another thing. The city of Plovdiv is IN Bulgaria. You're bitching about a character being a Bulgarian Turk in Bulgaria. "What? Other countries have racial minorities too?! Mind fucking blown, man!"

"Hey, we want to change things up from the classic straight-white-male character. But only a bit at a time, okay? Like a white woman, or a black man. Change too many bits at once and that's going too far, alright?"

---​

Those are my thoughts on the subject, or at least those I could get down. I'm just going to say, I consider myself a feminist, and this looks interesting to me. I'm going to play it if I can. Probably not going to back it on Kickstarter but that's because I've never backed anything on Kickstarter.

Grumman said:
The Lunatic said:
The target is me, in other words. It's got nothing to do with worth, by the way. I am a man because I am male, I was born with an X any a Y chromosome and I have a penis. I disagree with transsexuals and their advocates because they read more into it than that, and I find it offensive that believing an physically male person should ever need to "turn in their man card" has become a symbol of progressive orthodoxy instead of being reviled for advocating conformity to gender stereotypes.
When you say "turn in the man card", do you mean undergo surgery? If you find that's the problem, then you'll be glad to know that there are large numbers of trans-inclusive feminists (I haven't done a survey, I'm just going off my anecdotal experience here) who feel that someone's gender is entirely down to how they identify. If they want to undertake surgery or other medical procedures, that's entirely their business but makes no difference to whether or not they are a man/woman.

If on the other hand you find that genetics and genitalia are the sole defining feature of someone's gender, well then we're going to have to either agree to disagree or spend a lot of time arguing.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, this is amusing. People can't seem to decide whether or not to hate it.

"OMFG, a racial minority and a transgender protagonist? What clickbait bullshit! But wait! I think it might be critical of feminism. Fuck yes!"

"Oh hey, someone actually made a trans protagonist, cool. But wait, are they using it to take potshots at feminism? Bullshit!"

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Why don't we all wait to see what the game does before digging the trenches, it could just be another game with a touchy subject.

HEY! I SAID CALM YOUR TITS, THERE'S NO NEED TO GET HYSTERICAL!!! *Shakes violently*

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
this game looks like it'll be fun. it also looks like it'll be fun watching people who will never play it argue over its political ramifications.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Hmmm...

A game in which a member of society, who is a functioning member but is still an outcast, must decide if she can trust the same oppressive government or if she should help overthrow it?

Plus, it's about feminism and trans-rights, both of which have been utterly untouched by games.

I just finished reading Brave New World, Fahrenhuit 451 and 1984.

This sounds interesting. Not interesting enough for me to fund it's kickstarter, but interested enough to buy it after I know it won't be a buggy piece of shit. In regards to it's politics, well, I believe that EVERYONE should be allowed to have a say, offensive or not. If it's well written enough, it may even be one of the more intelligent games we have, like Spec Ops.