Aerannis Puts Stealth Action Gameplay in a Post-Feminist Dystopia

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Hating this game isn't about feminism. It's about ethics in journalism.
Do you really feel the need to keep repeating that? Taking the same petty meaningless potshot at people who dare to disagree with you isn't going to become funny by persistence, nor is it going to make the traditional "games journalism" club any less crooked. It does however, make it crystal clear that you prefer mockery to actual discussion.

OT: Does it play well? Because that's really all I care about. If the gameplay is really good it doesn't matter what the plot is. If I enjoy the plot, awesome 5 stars for you game, if I don't then I just click through all the story bits and pretend I'm playing Metroid. So a judgement of mechanics is what I'll be waiting to hear. From TB or someone else I trust mind you. Based on the glowing praise for Gone Home, Polygon, Kotaku, ect. are giving this a 10/5 just for the concept, gameplay be damned.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrFalconfly said:
Why would I hate this game?
I'm confused. Where did I say that you would?

major_chaos said:
Taking the same petty meaningless potshot at people who dare to disagree with you isn't going to become funny by persistence, nor is it going to make the traditional "games journalism" club any less crooked.
Repeating the same meaningless claims that traditional "games journalism" is crooked isn't going to make it true. I mean, Gamergate[footnote]as a whole, since people have trouble understanding that[/footnote] seems to have adopted the model of "a lie told often enough becomes the truth." I mean, you should probably consider the irony here. Also, the irony that we didn't make the "ethics in journalism" thing a joke--GG did. By things like repeatedly insisting games journalism is corrupt without

And by that same measure, your insistence on my own goals and meanings kind of indicate I'm not needed here, and that you can probably continue arguing against that strawman you knocked down in your post. So I'll just bow out now.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Interesting. When I saw the words "Post Feminist Dystopia" I thought "Oh Christ, some 'genius' Newgrounds developer has pitched some bollocks about the Feminist 'truth' of establishing concentration camps for the good of womanhood" but it's actually more engaging than that, albeit if simply a different flavour of dystopian story-telling. It'll be even more interesting to watch fanatically opposed internet movements hate it at the same time for the same reasons (see Comrade Marshall Zhukov's post).

Also: you people know that saying "Bulgarian Turk transgender is political correctness insanity!" is like saying "English born American homosexual is political correctness insanity!", right? It's not the madness of PC to have someone of two nationalities....

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Dragonlayer said:
Also: you people know that saying "Bulgarian Turk transgender is political correctness insanity!" is like saying "English born American homosexual is political correctness insanity!", right? It's not the madness of PC to have someone of two nationalities....
I have one issue with this.
How far in the future this game is set?
It took my family only 3 generations to go from more or less pure nationalities to me (I'm basically genetic Voltron)
So it wouldn't be too crazy of assumption that in 50 or 100 years words "Bulgarian Turk" would be meaningless.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
blackrave said:
Dragonlayer said:
I have one issue with this.
How far in the future this game is set?
It took my family only 3 generations to go from more or less pure nationalities to me (I'm basically genetic Voltron)
So it wouldn't be too crazy of assumption that in 50 or 100 years words "Bulgarian Turk" would be meaningless.
Well presumably it's a future where Bulgarians and Turks still exist, whether in sovereign country form or as a protected ethnic enclave (think ghetto minority). And half a century to a century is a ridiculously short timespan for this kind of thing: over 400 years since first colonisation and French-Canadians are still a thing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrFalconfly said:
An obvious jab at GG'ers.
Are you a hive mind?

I've made it clear, I've even made it clear in talking to you specifically, that I don't believe gamergate is a single unified entity. In fact, in that conversation, you backed out when I started asking hard questions about actual ethics in journalism, so maybe you shouldn't be the one getting bothered by this. But you are, and I'm not sure why? Are you ignoring my sentiments on gamergate, and insisting instead that I believe gamergate is a collective in lock step? Or do you believe it yourself? Or is there something I'm missing, where suddenly addressing a whole as a general concept means addressing each individual?

And now I ask.

Are you a hive mind?

I honestly have little interest in discussing things with you, as you've made it clear you're not actually going to answer fair questions in good faith. But if you're going to insist I included you in that statement, you'd best be prepared to prove it. Either that I meant each and every member of GG or that I meant you specifically.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Zhukov said:
Well, this is amusing. People can't seem to decide whether or not to hate it.

"OMFG, a racial minority and a transgender protagonist? What clickbait bullshit! But wait! I think it might be critical of feminism. Fuck yes!"

"Oh hey, someone actually made a trans protagonist, cool. But wait, are they using it to take potshots at feminism? Bullshit!"
It is all rather amusing, is it not? People tend to get a bit uncomfortable around art that they can't decide if they should like or hate. Makes me think the game's premise alone is doing its job.

OT: Can't wait to check it out. Hopefully the gameplay and story actually match up with the interesting character and setting. Also, I have to roll my eyes at everything that's controversial being decried as "click-bait." Click-bait is when a headline blows something out of proportion in order to get people to read a much more mundane article. Putting forth something actually controversial, which this very much sounds like it is, isn't inherently "click-bait."

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
MrFalconfly said:
An obvious jab at GG'ers.
Are you a hive mind?

I've made it clear, I've even made it clear in talking to you specifically, that I don't believe gamergate is a single unified entity. In fact, in that conversation, you backed out when I started asking hard questions about actual ethics in journalism, so maybe you shouldn't be the one getting bothered by this. But you are, and I'm not sure why? Are you ignoring my sentiments on gamergate, and insisting instead that I believe gamergate is a collective in lock step? Or do you believe it yourself? Or is there something I'm missing, where suddenly addressing a whole as a general concept means addressing each individual?

And now I ask.

Are you a hive mind?

I honestly have little interest in discussing things with you, as you've made it clear you're not actually going to answer fair questions in good faith. But if you're going to insist I included you in that statement, you'd best be prepared to prove it. Either that I meant each and every member of GG or that I meant you specifically.
No, but you make statements as if we were.

EDIT:

You made statements to the effect that GG'ers would hate this game.

Well I don't (already there your statement begins to fall apart). And there are multitudes of other supporters who say they don't "hate" it on principle either.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
"isn't meant to encompass any particular politcal leanings" And there goes any thoughts I had about supporting this game in any way. I mean, for the love of God, your main charcter is a female transgender in a "post-feminist" dystopia, but it doesn't have "any particular political leanings?" Sure, neither did 1984 or Animal Farm. God, if you're going to make something that politically charged you should have the balls to stand by it, not try to pretend it isn't political.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrFalconfly said:
Well, ignoring the part where I didn't, and have told you to the contrary not just now, but previously/

Well I don't (already there your statement begins to fall apart).
The statement I never made falls apart because you don't fall into it. Because you don't fall into the statement I never made.

You know, it's this kind of dishonesty that's the reason the "ethics in journalism" thing is a joke in the first place.

Actually, I made a joke to the effect that hating it is about ethics in journalism. But even if I agreed with with the guy who made the GG statement completely, they didn't say each and every one of you, either.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
MrFalconfly said:
Well, ignoring the part where I didn't, and have told you to the contrary not just now, but previously/

Well I don't (already there your statement begins to fall apart).
The statement I never made falls apart because you don't fall into it. Because you don't fall into the statement I never made.

You know, it's this kind of dishonesty that's the reason the "ethics in journalism" thing is a joke in the first place.

Actually, I made a joke to the effect that hating it is about ethics in journalism. But even if I agreed with with the guy who made the GG statement completely, they didn't say each and every one of you, either.
Can we please not argue bullshit semantics and just agree that there really is an issue with ethics in gaming journalism.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrFalconfly said:
Can we please not argue bullshit semantics and just agree that there really is an issue with ethics in gaming journalism.
Dude, you just insisted that I said something I didn't. Admit your semantics were the bullshit ones and you were wrong, or don't bother addressing me again.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
MrFalconfly said:
Sure in the same way there really is an issue with certain #GG supporters being vile abusive cowards.

OT :I'm looking forward to this, and I'm tempted to kickstarter it. It ticks a lot of boxes for me, protagonist that I can relate to ( transgender assassin? check ), in a situation that emulates current real-life issues ( extremist feminism having huge issues with transgendered people, and I've encountered that bigotry in real-life ), that I also can relate to. Stealth gameplay too...

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
MrFalconfly said:
Dude, you just insisted that I said something I didn't. Admit your semantics were the bullshit ones and you were wrong, or don't bother addressing me again.
Well for a starter you saying

"Hating this game isn't about feminism. It's about ethics in journalism."

In response to JarinArenos, who spoke about all "GG Heads".

It's a bit hard to NOT interpret that is encompassing all people who support #Gamergate.

But I can't be arsed to take this any further.

Have a good day.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Jesterscup said:
MrFalconfly said:
Sure in the same way there really is an issue with certain #GG supporters being vile abusive cowards.
Well seeing as I have seen the same vile abusive cowards on the other "side" of the argument, I propose that we make a "third" team.

Team arsehole (they could have their own hashtag. Like #Bellend), where we promptly dump every little POS who make death-threats, dox people, or in general behave unsavoury.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrFalconfly said:
Yes, I can see how lying about what I said so many times might be tiresome. Like I said, I will not work with people who operate in bad faith.

But then, that's exactly the reason "ethics in journalism" is a joke. People acting in bad faith complaining about an ethics problem of dubious nature.

If you guys learned this, there would be amazing progress.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
MrFalconfly said:
Yes, I can see how lying about what I said so many times might be tiresome. Like I said, I will not work with people who operate in bad faith.

But then, that's exactly the reason "ethics in journalism" is a joke. People acting in bad faith complaining about an ethics problem of dubious nature.

If you guys learned this, there would be amazing progress.
"Lying" about what you said?

Mate, those were your words, in the context of the guy who you quoted.