After 5 years, World of Warcraft has finally been dethroned according to Xfire

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
For the first time in the last half decade, PC gaming has a king that's not named World of Warcraft. The new champion? Riot's free-to-play MOBA League of Legends.

Now xfire is by no means a scientific measure, but I'm pretty sure that the two are very close, and LoL may very well have overtaken Blizzard's behemoth MMO.

What are your thoughts escapist? Is this the dawn of a new age in PC gaming, or will WoW retake it's throne?

Source: http://www.xfire.com/games/lol/League_of_Legends/

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I feel the big difference in this is that people will still drop many, many dollars into WoW, whereas League of Legends, they don't. WoW may not be "the champion" anymore in terms of amount of users and time spent in game, but I'm willing to bet it makes more money. Unless I'm just completely in the wrong about how free-to-play MMOs work (which is very possible, and likely probable).

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
I doubt it's a new age. I've always considered PC gaming separate from MMOs (yes, I know it doesn't make much sense), seeing as PC gaming and MMOs have been evolving independently from each other.

Could this mean something new in the world of MMOs? Maybe, but as Arontala said, World of Warcraft still makes a ton of money and I can't see it going anywhere soon.

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
Just_A_Glitch said:
I feel the big difference in this is that people will still drop many, many dollars into WoW, whereas League of Legends, they don't. WoW may not be "the champion" anymore in terms of amount of users and time spent in game, but I'm willing to bet it makes more money. Unless I'm just completely in the wrong about how free-to-play MMOs work (which is very possible, and likely probable).
Actually people tend to spend alot of money on LoL... maybe not as much as subscription fee based MMOs, but I think the gap is alot smaller than you might think.

CUE RELEVANT PENNY-ARCADE STRIP
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/6/10/

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I say its a big "meh". It's not one of those era changing moments in gaming, it's just a fact that you learn and think "that's interesting". Besides I'm sure if it matters since the population of WoW is still bigger than some countries.

Sorry to disappoint you OP

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
You can't beat WoW until you are making enough money to finance a private war... on another world... it may require some sort of poorly-lit gateway to reach this other world too.

Seriously I don't feel like free-to-play can ever beat WoW. Free to play exists largely because no one except Blizzard seems to be able to get people to pay fees for stuff.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Lancer723 said:
Just_A_Glitch said:
Actually people tend to spend alot of money on LoL... maybe not as much as subscription fee based MMOs, but I think the gap is alot smaller than you might think.

QUEUE RELEVANT PENNY-ARCADE STRIP
Just_A_Glitch said:
Unless I'm just completely in the wrong about how free-to-play MMOs work (which is very possible, and likely probable).
Can't say I wasn't prepared for that!

And I loved that comic. I should start following Penny Arcade. Every strip I've read I've enjoyed, but I just don't follow it closely enough.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
I couldn't stand LoL to be honest, it's all PvP and elitism.

WoW will forever cater to the raid and PvE players, I hate PvP, and always will, it's the competitive multiplayer that leads to raging and an obsession with glitches/cheap tactics. The concept of a true gamer these days are the kind of people defending DNF (go look at the comments, particularly under the alien rape stuff)

Unless LoL has massive PvE support, it will NEVER top single player and co-op based MMOs.

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
Just_A_Glitch said:
Lancer723 said:
Just_A_Glitch said:

QUEUE RELEVANT PENNY-ARCADE STRIP
Just_A_Glitch said:
Unless I'm just completely in the wrong about how free-to-play MMOs work (which is very possible, and likely probable).
Can't say I wasn't prepared for that!

And I loved that comic. I should start following Penny Arcade. Every strip I've read I've enjoyed, but I just don't follow it closely enough.
Indeed. Such as this one: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

OMG LANCER GET BACK ON TOPIC

Fine, fine.

I think you guys are lookin at this from the wrong angle though, this isn't necessarily about the money, clearly blizzard makes more money from WoW than Riot does from LoL. This is about the fact that League of Legends unofficially has a larger player base than the gargantuan that is World of Warcraft. For the first time in 5 years (which is an eternity in the video game industry) there is a game that is more popular on the PC than WoW.

I dunno, I just kinda feel like it's really interesting. I guess I'm the only one.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
going by the definition of free-to-play games WoW was actually dethroned a long time ago. You have to compare them against other games you actually have to buy into.

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
By those accounts FarmVille dethroned WoW ages ago...

As an MMO I think WoW is still the supreme overlord.
We'll see what happens when Blizz releases Titan.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
You can't compare WoW and LoL, it's like comparing CoD and Final Fantasy. They're two completely different games.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
BanicRhys said:
You can't compare WoW and LoL, it's like comparing CoD and Final Fantasy. They're two completely different games.
Couldn't agree more.I am playing both LoL and WoW daily,usually go with a friend to play a few matches of LoL after I finished my raids in WoW.

If LoL has become more popular/viewed on Xfire,it doesn't really matter anyway since WoW's fanbase are more busy playing the game than watching live streams or videos.

jacobythehedgehog

Jun 15, 2011
DarkhoIlow said:
BanicRhys said:
You can compare Call of Duty to Final Fantasy. Although it would be kind hard it is possible. You can compare any two games.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
As far as I've ever been able to tell, even though the 'official' numbers are normally exaggerated and X-Fire is a horrible alternative, Maplestory (and the Nexon-style of games in general) is the persistant online world with the most players. Of course, the last time I checked was a few years ago, so that might have changed.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
WTH seriously they only have 2 maps well 3 or 4 when season 2 comes out but seriously i'm not buying it LoL i think could overthrow the king one day but it's a bit young and needs a year or 2 to get to a position where it can acctualy compete with WoW

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Saying WoW is "dethroned" because 33,000 XFire users play LoL daily compared to 30k for WoW?

For one day?

What meaningless tripe.

(I do not play or even really care for WoW, just the audacity of this claim is...mind-boggling to say the least...)