After Arkham City, Rocksteady May Fly With Superman

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
After Arkham City, Rocksteady May Fly With Superman

The man who wrote Arkham City thinks Rocksteady should consider Superman (or Captain Marvel or Green Lantern) for its next game.

With <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JAVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318029590&sr=8-1>Batman: Arkham City hitting store shelves soon, folks are starting to wonder what developer Rocksteady's next project might be. The studio itself hasn't made any announcements, but Paul Dini (who wrote Arkham Asylum and Arkham City) thinks a new superhero needs to get the videogame treatment, and he's got a couple of suggestions about who it should be.

Dini, who is no stranger to the DC Universe thanks to his tenure as a writer for the shows that made up Bruce Timm's DC Animated Universe, took some time to speak about the development group's future plans. While the man didn't announce anything definite, he did say that he thinks that Rocksteady should do a game adaptation based on one of the more fantastical DC characters:

"Well Batman is pretty much real world-centric. So if I was going to do another comic book based game I would probably want a hero that had, you know - I would probably want to amp it up a bit as far as the power level goes and do more of a superhero with more superpowers.

"Batman is pretty much a self-trained guy, I think it would be fun to do a character like Superman or Captain Marvel or maybe Green Lantern, somebody who's got a completely different resource for fighting crime and fighting villains.

"Maybe a magical character. The DC universe is filled with them. I love Batman and I always will but if I was going to do another one I would probably pick one in a completely different setting with a completely different power scheme. He's [Superman] pretty much the number one in the DC pantheon, and I think not enough has been done with him to make him a character, as he's got amazing powers, he can fly super fast and everything, but also there's a level to his character that I don't think has been explored yet in video games to kind of get underneath who he is and into his heart a little bit.

I think there's a lot of reinvention being done on Superman at the moment, both in the comics and in the movies and I think it would be fun to revisit that character and kind of see what makes him tick."

I'd love to see Rocksteady tackle a Superman game. So far, Kal El's best appearance in a video game was Wild Dog. Nobody could make that dude cool.

Source: <a href=http://www.gigwise.com/news/67724/After-Batman-Arkham-City-Rocksteady-Eyes-Superman>Gigwise via <a href=http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=47722>Comic Book Movie

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I just don't see Superman that way, I mean they would have to work hard just to find a way that you can actually die in the game (when other civilains die?) and there doesn't seem to be the same challenges that the dude has to overcome

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
OH boy.
Well if they go through with it, I hope they can actually go further than just making the flying fun. Smooth combat, better use of Superman's strength, such as actually putting down a car without chucking it at the Puppy and Kitten Orphanage.

Oct 30, 2010
BrotherRool said:
I just don't see Superman that way, I mean they would have to work hard just to find a way that you can actually die in the game (when other civilains die?) and there doesn't seem to be the same challenges that the dude has to overcome
Start with fighting Doomsday, then work their way through Aopoklips and Darkseid and end with the Anti-Monitor.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I dunno I thought "The Death and Return of Superman" video game on the snes was pretty damn fun, back in the day.

If they can do what they did with Batman I have faith in their ability to make a good Superman game. Though personally I'd prefer Green Lantern if we're going to the DC IP Well.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
A good Superman game? That would be undeniably awesome.

Heck, let's just make Rocksteady the Superhero Guys. Let 'em cover all the bases - Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman (Please!), X-men, Avengers... After all, they seem to "get" superheroes like nobody else. Why not let 'em use it!

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
o rocksteady you really are after my heart.
but if they want to do a superman game its either going to have to take place on another planet or have granny goodness brainwash other superheroes into fighting him. otherwise everyone will complain about how overpowered he is

Deverfro

Aug 2, 2009
I'd like to see a Green Lantern game with huge sprawling levels. Exploring Coast City (or where ever Hal lives) and Oa would be a blast. And being able to turn your Suit on and off would add for some extra fun.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:

.emag ydaetskcoR a ni raeppa ot yppah eb dluow annataZ erus m'I
Well, Zatanna's current look is modeled after Dini's wife, Misty Lee.

Ian Waller

Oct 7, 2011
I say its about damn time that the man of steel got a game that did him justice. superman games in the past have range from horrible to kind of decent. He's the worlds most famous superhero, and he deserves a great game to call his own, I think people would become a lot more familiar with his rogues gallery as well, everyone knows batmans enemies, but barely anyone knows about supermans villians. Also, at some point I'd love to see rocksteady doing other dc characters like The Flash, Wonder Woman, Dr Fate, Zatanna,(Dini's personal favorite) and my all time favorite, Green Arrow! Thank you for this statement Paul Dini, you truly are a great storyteller, and I am with you 100 percent, people need to become familiar with more DC characters other than the worlds finest( Supes and Bats), but yeah, a superman game with the same attention to detail as the arkham games, with a plethora of classic superman villians, and fun gameplay would be a perfect follow up for now.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
vansau said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

.emag ydaetskcoR a ni raeppa ot yppah eb dluow annataZ erus m'I
He ALWAYS had a love of magicians and when He said "Magicians" I knew he was talking about Zatanna.

I would love to see a Flash Game.

This is the closest I will ever see.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
How about Green Lantern fused with Prototype? Going from giant fists and swords to a laser beam sounds pretty damn fun.

Feb 13, 2008
vansau said:
And from what I hear...in the reboot she's married to Constantine...

Somehow, I'm having problems with that mental image.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
I am extreme dissapoint if this the case. Never liked Superman just a God character, not human, just all around boring in my opinion. One of my friends said it seems like he was designed by a 5 year old, I'd have to agree. But Rocksteady us pretty baller so it still warrants my attention :)

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
Superman is the only DC character comparable to Batman in popularity, you go with any other characters you've got an immeadiate drop in namebrand recognisability. Superman games have historically been extraordinarily crappy. Superman and other very powerful/esoteric characters are much more difficult to conceptualise in a videogame (Marvel's characters generally are a bit fit).

Don't get me wrong, I'm comicbook fan, and of course I'd love to see more great/good games based on them, but the challenges of doing so with much of DC's catalogue are considerable and from a marketing perspective it really needs to be one of the biggest names.

All that said, I think a game intelligently based on the Flash could be very interesting. Wonder Woman is fairly straightforward.

Characters like Green Lantern/Martian Manhunter/Zatanna are way to versatile to capture properly.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
Nah, they should do Spiderman. except would they work with marvel instead of dc? besides how many awesome villans does superman have? I don't even know much about batman, but I always think Baaatsy because of the joker.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Superman is a pretty awful choice for a game character. It might be doable, but it'd be so much easier to get a good game out other characters from Marvel or DCU.