Age Of Empires I

Kurt711

Jul 29, 2010
So I was going through my cupboard and I found in a dusty CD Case, the ancient Age Of Empires I. I installed it and played it for a while. It striked me as to how great of a RTS it is, even after all these years I can come back to it and still enjoy playing it. So my question to everyone is: Does anyone still play or own the orginal Age Of Empires I and what do you think of it?

Kurt711

Jul 29, 2010
Same, I played the second for a long time as well, I'm a fan of the entire "Age Of" series.

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
Didn't like AOE1. Personally, I preferred 2 and 3, which I thought were by far the superior games.

Does that make me a bad person?

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
AoE was one of the fisrt games I really got into as a kid. AoE2 was better though and I stil play it fairly often, mostly for nostalgia.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I think AoE:G has stronger single-player missions than the rest of the 'Age' series, or it could just be nostalgia...

Murtdragon

Apr 5, 2010
I like the second one, Age Of Kings. Once you got the expansion pack with naval formations and queue-able farms, it was just great.

And yes, the first one still stands out today.

obliviondoll

May 27, 2010
I still play the first one. Never did actually own AOE2. Played it more at a friend's place (LAN parties + computers provided = win)

Kurt711

Jul 29, 2010
Ooh, that takes me back.

Yeah, I used to have a copy of it for mac. Great game. I lost the copy a while back, but I still have 2, which I think is slightly better. First was still great though. I must have been about 5 when that came out.

DenSomKastade

May 12, 2010
I play AOE2 sometime, I love the monks in AOE1 but the unit pathing is just so annoying. I have to admit though it´s probably the best looking AOE game dispite the old age.

mayhar

Jul 15, 2009
Yea, me and a few friends still constantly play it against each other via hamachi, never gets old

Though we play Rise of Rome(number 1's expansion)

Fanitullen

Nov 7, 2008
I think they should remake the game, with better gameplay, but the same story, and the same units. It's awesome, but there's so many small things that bug the hell out of me.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I used to love it when I was younger. Was looking to see if it was cheap on Steam but, alas, it is not...

lambsheep

Mar 9, 2010
I play Age of Empires 2 because the original doesnt work on my computer, DAM!
They are both very good games, but the third one isnt as good I think.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Always preferred AoE 2 myself. The low population cap in AoE 1 just got on my nerves to much. But I still loved it, and still play it.

AoE 3 was.... promising. I think it could have been great, but the campaign was just so shit. There were so many conflicts at the time, they could have done what they did in the first two and followed a general or ruler. Some European and African maps would have been cool as well.

Kurt711

Jul 29, 2010
I started AoEII, lost the disk, bought the pack with I in it, and never played it.

Now I got to find that darn thing and give it a go.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I got it in a cereal box. It was just a demo, but I played it and had to get it. It was so much fun, especially with cheats.