Agents of Cosplay: Harley Quinn: From Sidekick to Supervillainess

Liana Kerzner

May 6, 2015
Harley Quinn: From Sidekick to Supervillainess

One of the most popular characters to cosplay is also a bit controversial.

Watch Video

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Noticing she edited this like the recent 'Ed The Sock' videos. cough*LianaK's Husbando*cough

Subjectively speaking I like the full classic costume. Also i briefly hit re-puberty when i first saw the video of Harley crawling out of that giant pie [The Creeper episode in Batman TAS] ...i dont know why, but i did.

Also congrats on your premier.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Welcome to The Escapist... again. For a first episode this was really, good. I do like the level of detail you go into as well.

Buuut... I do like her original, weird costume. It really makes her look like a jester or harlequin which fits her role at the time, as things go on and her costume changes, such as in the Arkham games, it's never really gelled with me quite as well. I think they are really good costumes and often fit her character really, really well. But I guess I'm just an old stick in the mud for that original outfit.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I love, love LOVE Harley! The cosplayer in the video is fantastic and what she says is spot on. I'm so drawn to Harley because I've been so in love with a man before that I thought it was actually sending me crazy even when I know they're bad for me.

I actually wrote this post about it a while ago about one of the comics.

Anywho, here's my Harley cosplays!

Jan 12, 2012
I've been looking forward to this segment. Wasn't expecting it to be interview format, but I can dig it.
Leonardo Huizar said:
Noticing she edited this like the recent 'Ed The Sock' videos. cough*LianaK's Husbando*cough
Thank you for letting me know that there were new Ed the Sock videos... I used to love Ed & Red back in the day, but I had thought the puppet had been shelved once they were off TV. Should have realised that they would make a comeback online.
[small]On a side note, while trying to find the new show I found out the Wikipedia page for Ed & Red describes Liana as a "busty redhead", which is hilarious.[/small]

vallorn said:
Buuut... I do like her original, weird costume. It really makes her look like a jester or harlequin which fits her role at the time, as things go on and her costume changes, such as in the Arkham games, it's never really gelled with me quite as well. I think they are really good costumes and often fit her character really, really well. But I guess I'm just an old stick in the mud for that original outfit.
I preferred it too. I always got the feeling that the Joker dressed her (or that she made that costume to impress him) and that he preferred the more overt clown theme as opposed the eye candy that the new costumes always make me think of (right or wrong).

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
piscian said:
I think I like the idea of discussing the motivation of cosplay because frankly I just don't get it. Its supposed to be art, but it seems like a painting of a painting.
It's a bit like dancing; some people find it fun to watch, but it's actually much more fun if you're participating, if only in a simple fashion. I've not done it in ages, or anything hard, ever, but I could still put together a 'vaguely steam punk foppish corsair' if I gave it a go.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
From sidekick to supervillainess.... to occasionally awesome hero.

Redeemed Harley is best Harley.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Harley's pretty great. As for her (seemingly numerous) redesigns I prefer the ones that actually spin off more from the original concept than things that mostly just keep the color scheme, although there are some good ones there too.

I like this show, it has potential, looking forward to more.
Also totally looked there btw.