Agents of Cosplay: Just the Facts About Furries

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Nice to see some positive coverage of furries popping up around here. Its refreshing, and its nice not to see one of my favorite fandoms not being dragged through the mud for once. Thanks!

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
I have two friends who are furries. One of them makes high-quality fur suits for a living. Both are super cool dudes.

I remember when they had an actual convention in the city. Everything went well... until two people decided to have sex in their suits and the whole event was shut down. I remember my friend driving to their house and screaming at them for a good ten minutes about how they ruined the fun for everyone and are the assholes giving every other furry a bad name.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Just wanted to point out that Hawkgirl is Shiera Sanders Hall [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkgirl], a reincarnation of an Egyptian princess (wings optional). Hawkwoman is Shayera Hol [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkwoman], a law enforcement officer from the planet Thanagar (always wings). Two entirely different hawk-based people.

But, you know... Comics are weird.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
madwarper said:
Just wanted to point out that Hawkgirl is Shiera Sanders Hall [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkgirl], a reincarnation of an Egyptian princess (wings optional). Hawkwoman is Shayera Hol [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkwoman], a law enforcement officer from the planet Thanagar (always wings). Two entirely different hawk-based people.

But, you know... Comics are weird.
It doesn't help that the Justice League: Unlimited cartoon had them both be the same creature.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
As happy as I am for someone defending Furries I'm still creeped out by cosplayers....

The question about Hawkgirl is too vague. But it seems like the closest you can get to asking about whether or not Kemonomimi should be considered Furry.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Another fact is you should never, ever say to a Furry "Yeah, I saw that episode of CSI. I know all about you furries and your yiffing!" Unless they're a really good friend (then you definitely should say it to them!)

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
That cat has a Hitler mustache.
monkeymangler said:
I have two friends who are furries. One of them makes high-quality fur suits for a living. Both are super cool dudes.

I remember when they had an actual convention in the city. Everything went well... until two people decided to have sex in their suits and the whole event was shut down. I remember my friend driving to their house and screaming at them for a good ten minutes about how they ruined the fun for everyone and are the assholes giving every other furry a bad name.
By far the worst thing about the furry fandom is other furries.
<youtube=8iusUq4-f5U>

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Video was OK but did not go indepth as it could have. Then again, it was my first episode of the series. For a much more indepth look at the fandom watch this video.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
It sounds like Momo has been hanging out with Mr. Whiskers. Warning: This video isn't safe for work or little children.
About Furries: I think it's one of those broadly defined things that people on the internet like to criticize other people about. Personally, I don't care. It's a preference that doesn't hurt anybody else.

Silvershock

Jul 12, 2013
Liana Kerzner said:
Just the Facts About Furries

Just the facts about one of cosplays subcultures.
The video's not bad, but the tagline irritates me. Since when are we a cosplay subculture? Only about 20% of furries have suits, you know. There's a lot of other aspects to the thing.

Additionally, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that most of the people spoken with in that episode ain't furries - I don't hear furs refer to their fursuits as "cosplays" or "mascot costumes". Those are terms used by ordinary folks wearing costumes of characters they like (and I ain't got a problem with that, no sir). The one who says her name *is* x, and she *is* an angel-dragon (that was it, right?) - that's a furry right there. There's an identity behind it that immediately comes across in the language used.

I know that this is a short video shot, and well intended at that, but when you refer to the entire furry fandom just by the costumes the fursuiters wear, you state the what and disregard the why. On top of that, it actually ignores the vast majority of the people within the culture.

Saulkar said:
Video was OK but did not go indepth as it could have. Then again, it was my first episode of the series. For a much more indepth look at the fandom watch this video.
That is a surprisingly solid vid.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
monkeymangler said:

Part of the problem is that a lot of furries don't even bother to research the movement's roots. Before furries pop up, you have to look at Disney's anthropomorph animals, John Tenniel's humanoid Wonderland denizens and a solid century or so's worth of political caricatures that have used animals as shortcuts to the clear display of certain human traits. You can even go further back and observe the way a lot of Polytheist cultures use animals as clear iconographic in-between for gods or other entities. Christianity only appropriated the caprine traits for Pan and Medieval esoteric research when the cloven-hoofed image of the Devil or Satan was first conceived.

Animals have a rich culture of *meaning* something to humans, right down to modern interpretations along the lines of Grandville, Blacksad or Marvel's own Howard the Duck. They're great at carrying a point or personality traits across in visual form. A walrus would be blustery, a fox would be sly, a dog could be faithful, selfless or hard-working and a cat could be a snob, etc.

Unfortunately, it feels like there's a minority that comes with some amount of sexual repression. They've projected onto anthros and furries and never needed to develop a conscious understanding of the fact that you can approach these figures in a non-sexual way.

So they visit conventions, hold it in as much as they can - and they sometimes crack. They've never gotten used to being socially responsible within their fursonas, seeing as they use them to give themselves sexual release. Something similar happens with the "animal kin", in the sense that they might end up thinking that any prospective romantic partner is going to want to nuzzle or play-bite.

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:
monkeymangler said:

Part of the problem is that a lot of furries don't even bother to research the movement's roots. Before furries pop up, you have to look at Disney's anthropomorph animals, John Tenniel's humanoid Wonderland denizens and a solid century or so's worth of political caricatures that have used animals as shortcuts to the clear display of certain human traits. You can even go further back and observe the way a lot of Polytheist cultures use animals as clear iconographic in-between for gods or other entities. Christianity only appropriated the caprine traits for Pan and Medieval esoteric research when the cloven-hoofed image of the Devil or Satan was first conceived.

Animals have a rich culture of *meaning* something to humans, right down to modern interpretations along the lines of Grandville, Blacksad or Marvel's own Howard the Duck. They're great at carrying a point or personality traits across in visual form. A walrus would be blustery, a fox would be sly, a dog could be faithful, selfless or hard-working and a cat could be a snob, etc.

Unfortunately, it feels like there's a minority that comes with some amount of sexual repression. They've projected onto anthros and furries and never needed to develop a conscious understanding of the fact that you can approach these figures in a non-sexual way.

So they visit conventions, hold it in as much as they can - and they sometimes crack. They've never gotten used to being socially responsible within their fursonas, seeing as they use them to give themselves sexual release. Something similar happens with the "animal kin", in the sense that they might end up thinking that any prospective romantic partner is going to want to nuzzle or play-bite.
Thanks for that. It explained a lot and helps me understand better some of the behavior and things I have seen.