Agents of Cosplay: Sponsored - What is it About Naruto that Keeps Fans Cosplaying?

Liana Kerzner

May 6, 2015
Sponsored - What is it About Naruto that Keeps Fans Cosplaying?

Liana tackles the ever popular Naruto series.

Watch Video

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
I loved the original and got quite a bit into shippuden before i said "fuck this". one problem is that the power of the main charaters just get ridiculous. in season 1 a fast guy with a sword could be a genuine threat but now everyone either has a kaiju form or suck completely. most of the side cast have become irrelevant because everything is too big. i wanted to see more of people like hinata, lee and shino but while they still have good action scenes naruto is basically Kirito now, allways 50 levels ahead and the only enemies he can face are way too strong for anyone else to stand a chance agains.

Secondly naruto is the least interesting character but gets all the screentime. shows like Fairy tail are much more flexible with giving more characters good archs frequently but naruto has been all about naruto for too long. early on sakura, hinata sasuke and lee all had major character developement archs. now they are lucky to get an episode where they do something even remotely important. agains going back to Fairy tail, in the excellent tartaros arc of recent memory almost every major character had a good fight with someone else.

Finally Sasuke is my favourite character while the creator hates him. as well as suddenly writing him as an evil idiot after 100 episodes of him being awesome is simply a dick move and since he has only become more and more of an unlikeable raging emo with none of the nuance, sincerity or irony that made sasuke so great in the original series. in fact i have come to learn that the current filler arc has rewritten sasuke as a guy who was allways a raging emo. in short, fuck you too naruto writers

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
In my opinion, the reason why Naruto has done so well despite it's... less than positive reception among the wider anime fanbase in recent years is because the world is just absorbing. More eloquently put, and I am paraphrasing from someone on the sufficient velocity forums here, it's part of the tragedy of it. That the world is so vast and has so many different groups, a whole bunch of technological anachronisms along with a huge ensemble of characters that have so much potential and in the end we got the Fourth war arc. A summation of common shounen anime tropes thrown together so haphazardly that it felt more like a prolonged visit to the vets to have a family pet put down than a finale. It ended up appealing to the lowest common denominator. End paraphrasing.

However, if you allow yourself to be absorbed into that world, you can get so much out of it. The fan content has produced some incredible work, be it cosplay, art, or even the terror of the Internet, fanfiction (although, as Sturgeon's law dictates, the vast majority is shit). Trawling around the good sections of the fandom (and applying liberal use of brain bleach to forget the less desirable parts) is what has kept my interest in this series afloat. They kept me interested despite a certain family routinely breaking the rules of canon, despite characters with interesting backstories getting shafted, and despite a nigh incomprehensible ending arc I still end up being interested in the series.

In short, I suppose you could say the fandom has managed to reach a self-sustaining state; one in which despite our disagreements and our factions, we still keep each other interested in the story because a few talented people help keep the world alive. In spite of what I consider an attempt at euthanasia by the creator the rest of the post descends into incoherent rambling.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I like that she was completely honest about why video games are the most important: Because they wrote me a check! That made me laugh pretty hard.

I will disagree with you, Sasuke cosplayer, on Sasuke, but I'm sure it's nothing she hasn't heard before so I shall leave it at that. Your costume is amazing though. And I will never understand how any cosplayer can stand to put the lens in their eyes. It looks amazing and pulls the whole look together, but just thinking about touching my eyeball makes my skin crawl.

I wish the fights in the anime and manga were half as awesome as the fights in the video games. Naruto could have been so much more, so great, in the Fourth Ninja War story. I was excited when it started, because Naruto was shelved. He was out, and we were finally going to get to see the other characters go to town. It started out promising, but the second Shikamaru and his team had to fight Asuma, I knew we were in trouble. Out of all the "I've come back to life and now my friends/family/students have to fight me!" fights he could have focused on, he chose that one? What about Neji facing his freaking dad?!
And then, sure enough, Naruto shows up and the war is no longer a war. It's "See how powerful Naruto is now? He's saving the day."

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
CyanCat47 said:
I loved the original and got quite a bit into shippuden before i said "fuck this". one problem is that the power of the main charaters just get ridiculous. in season 1 a fast guy with a sword could be a genuine threat but now everyone either has a kaiju form or suck completely. most of the side cast have become irrelevant because everything is too big. i wanted to see more of people like hinata, lee and shino but while they still have good action scenes naruto is basically Kirito now, allways 50 levels ahead and the only enemies he can face are way too strong for anyone else to stand a chance agains.
Granted I haven't kept up with it in years, but I long maintained that the best fight was the arc with Zabuza. There was a lot more going on than simply having characters throwing hay makers at each other.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Slycne said:
CyanCat47 said:
Granted I haven't kept up with it in years, but I long maintained that the best fight was the arc with Zabuza. There was a lot more going on than simply having characters throwing hay makers at each other.
The land of waves and chunin exam are hallmarks in anime history. shippuden in it's current state makes SAO look good

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
How can you NOT want to dress up like a ninja so powerful that even screaming and day glo orange is no detriment to their stealth skills.