Agents of Cosplay: What Are Your Cosplay Misconceptions?

Liana Kerzner

May 6, 2015
What Are Your Cosplay Misconceptions?

Cosplayers share some common misconceptions about cosplay.

Watch Video

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I'm not familiar with the arguments for or against cosplay (why would anyone care what someone else does in their spare time?) but I can't help but think the sex stuff is a strawman. I'd say more people think that cosplay is just a teeny bit self-absorbed, and attention-seeking. Stuff you do in your bedroom rather than parading around conference centers. But hey, nothing wrong with being the "look at me!" type.

mermadesings

Oct 15, 2014
Hey, why is this under Team Hollywood rather then LianaK? Just asking, not because I use it being under LianaK name to go check out the associated Cosplay Dossier article. No, no, never. Perish the thought!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I guess everyone has different reasons for why they're doing it, but why are so many people saying "oh everyone just assumes you're a big nerd"?
1: Isn't that kind of true? I mean, isn't 'nerd' by definition someone who is somewhat obsessed with a particular IP or work of fiction? Wouldn't spending hours upon hours and/or lots of money to make a costume looking like a character from that be considered a 'nerdy' thing to do?
2: I thought being perceived as a nerd would a good thing, since it dispels the idea of people dressing up as characters they know nothing about?

Anyway, I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other regarding Cosplayers, and the only misconception I've really known is that some people see it more as an opportunity to get noticed for modeling jobs than displaying their love for particular character(s).

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Liana Kerzner said:
Cosplayers share some common misconceptions about cosplay.
And, who is going to share with your cosplayers about their misconceptions of what "nerd" means?

Pro Tip: If your aim is to be accepted, try not to show your community shitting on another group of people.