Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Continues to Set Up the Story for Season 2

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Continues to Set Up the Story for Season 2

Agents remains a fun watch for Marvel fans, but anyone who hasn't kept up with the series mythology will likely be lost in this week's world-building.

Read Full Article

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I really don't think the obelisk is one of the Infinity Stones, as something as big would probably be reserved for the movies.

And I don't really subscribe to the theory that Loki's staff was some sort of infinity stone either. In the movies, they made clear that the staff is powered by the Tesseract (by now confirmed as one of those), the same way HYDRA used it to power several dozens of their future-like weaponry during WW 2.

EDIT: By the way, its Elizabeth Henstridge; Natasha is the woman from Species...

vid87

May 17, 2010
There probably is some understandable reason for her to do so if it is indeed true, but I'm having a hard time believing Simmons just straight-up turns evil, especially since it was Ward that almost killed her. My guess is espionage using a supposed hatred of Shield as cover to dig up some interesting stuff for a (mid)season finale reveal, though Kraken probably shows up and is all like "You zink I haven't known vhat you were up to? Silly girl." As for Evil Simmons in general, am I wrong in feeling that there was something...sinister about Ghost Simmons? Like her sounding attracted to Mac was actually supposed to make Fitz jealous or something? I was really reading that when she convinced him to swipe the printout of Creel's DNA, like she's his ego becoming a "Devil on the Shoulder" preclude to a full nervous breakdown. If anything, HE sounds more likely to become a villain, though this show has certainly shown that people don't usually play by the (trope) rules.

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
The portrayal of Fitz this season is killing me. They might as well just add a one-legged puppy to the cast.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
hermes200 said:
I really don't think the obelisk is one of the Infinity Stones, as something as big would probably be reserved for the movies.

And I don't really subscribe to the theory that Loki's staff was some sort of infinity stone either. In the movies, they made clear that the staff is powered by the Tesseract (by now confirmed as one of those), the same way HYDRA used it to power several dozens of their future-like weaponry during WW 2.

EDIT: By the way, its Elizabeth Henstridge; Natasha is the woman from Species...
I am with you on Loki's staff. Thanos would never trust someone else with an Infinity Gem once he got his hands on it.

OT:
I am so glad that Bob has continued to do these recaps. I get to keep up to date with what is happening in the show and how it could effect the movies without having to actually watch the show. A win/win.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
vid87 said:
There probably is some understandable reason for her to do so if it is indeed true, but I'm having a hard time believing Simmons just straight-up turns evil, especially since it was Ward that almost killed her. My guess is espionage using a supposed hatred of Shield as cover to dig up some interesting stuff for a (mid)season finale reveal, though Kraken probably shows up and is all like "You zink I haven't known vhat you were up to? Silly girl."
We know memories can be altered, what if HYDRA has gained access to something like that?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
MovieBob said:
New S.H.I.E.L.D.'s engineer/mechanic takes it upon himself to make friends with the troubled scientist
I didn't get that vibe at all. He looked more frustrated at not making much progress, and bullying the person all the rest is pussyfooting about to see if that would get some more progresss.

"He orders her to touch The Obelisk, and instead of turning her to ash "
Sigh, still with the ash? It's stone, the quote just above that scentence even says that... ash falls apart from touch and wind and it's own weight.

"it glows yellow/green from within and shows of more Alien Writing"
Told you you missed that last week.
Wonder if full power/touch from Skye or Daddy makes a hologram appear with all that stuff projecting on the walls... or if it just opens up to reveal something inside...
It would be cool if it turns out to be a key that opens up some MASSIVE UFO next episode, though it wouldn't make much sense.... It's more like a HDD than anything else. :p

"Coulson dealing with that and possible alien-possession and not bouncing off the walls in a strait-jacket practically makes him a superhero in his own right at this point."

You don't have any respect for anti-torture training and mental discipline, huh?
You think Fury gives super secrets/missions to people who are NOT trained for years in creating strong mental barriers?

"Simmons... as a HYDRA Agent"
She looked much hotter, but for the rest that is just a biiiig sigh. Twist! Double twist! Mega-triple ultra twist!!!

And Talbot.... GOD DAMN he does look like Hitler SO frigging much...
Maybe he is a reincarnation of the Red Skull? Psh!!!
Seriously weak copout to make a character unlikeable by making them look like that...

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Kenjitsuka said:
Seriously weak copout to make a character unlikeable by making them look like that...
I don't know, he was giving me the J. Jonah Jameson vibe. Thinks the government/police/military are best to solve it, anyone else clearly has some kind of agenda and is a potential turncoat just waiting for an opportunity.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
jabrwock said:
Kenjitsuka said:
I don't know, he was giving me the J. Jonah Jameson vibe. Thinks the government/police/military are best to solve it, anyone else clearly has some kind of agenda and is a potential turncoat just waiting for an opportunity.
Yes, that would be a nice fit for character and motivations.
But I mean purely how he looks.

I hate to post a picture of such a dick, but check out this photo of Adolf:
http://ww2today.com/30th-january-1942-hitler-repeats-his-threat-to-kill-the-jews
Massive amount of hair in the middle with almost none on the sides and that friggin' stache.

When he stepped out of the car at the end I had deja vu of some Hitler pictures, is all I'm saying...

vid87

May 17, 2010
jabrwock said:
vid87 said:
There probably is some understandable reason for her to do so if it is indeed true, but I'm having a hard time believing Simmons just straight-up turns evil, especially since it was Ward that almost killed her. My guess is espionage using a supposed hatred of Shield as cover to dig up some interesting stuff for a (mid)season finale reveal, though Kraken probably shows up and is all like "You zink I haven't known vhat you were up to? Silly girl."
We know memories can be altered, what if HYDRA has gained access to something like that?
They could repurpose Zola's tech - Winter Soldier Simmons does sound plausible.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Just checked out that Wikipedia link on the Infinity Stones.
Most of them seem *highly* overlapping in each other's teritories....

Everything in the universe is some form of energy for starters, and time is a dimension/property of energy/matter.
Etc. etc. etc.

I think Marvel just made too many of these things in their quest to always go bigger and better.
They are not complimentary, most would interfere in an extremely complex way with others...

On a sidenote... most of the stones would make you automatically gain the rest, right?
If you control and can see all time at once, you can know where the rest are and grab them whenever they were/will be/are ungarded for instance. Omniscience, omniprescence and other words that start with omni are just the very ultimate in power. Once you gain ANY of those it should become impossible to loose them or be defeated.

Science and logic aside; I think if this TV series *would* turn out to get one of these it'd just be too much to handle on that timetable and budget... It can only appear just for a few minutes to reset stuff. Hey, make it ressurect Lucy Lawless this BLOODY instance! For all that pre-season hype about her appearing one episode is just not enough!

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
...Speaking of chemistry, since I'm sure Tumblr has already decided that this is a "thing," yes -- I did in fact notice that "Ghost Simmons" sizes-up Mac in subtly curious fashion before encouraging Fitz to accept his help, and yes that is interesting since she's just a projection of Fitz's subconscious. It certainly isn't chiseled in stone anywhere that Fitz is 100% heterosexual, and we know next to nothing about Mac's background, so it's within the realm of possibility and it certainly would be an unexpected turn, I'll say that much.

I don't really think this is the case. I think it's more about how he's projecting his often demonstrated jealousy and insecurity in regards to other guys getting too close to Simmons.

Or, judging from the preview for next week's episode.
Since Simmons is working with HYDRA, maybe there's some kind of comic super science thing going on where she's actually projecting herself into his mind in order to spy on SHIELD, and she was actually checking Mac out. Because she's a bad girl now.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
vid87 said:
There probably is some understandable reason for her to do so if it is indeed true, but I'm having a hard time believing Simmons just straight-up turns evil, especially since it was Ward that almost killed her. My guess is espionage using a supposed hatred of Shield as cover to dig up some interesting stuff for a (mid)season finale reveal, though Kraken probably shows up and is all like "You zink I haven't known vhat you were up to? Silly girl." As for Evil Simmons in general, am I wrong in feeling that there was something...sinister about Ghost Simmons? Like her sounding attracted to Mac was actually supposed to make Fitz jealous or something? I was really reading that when she convinced him to swipe the printout of Creel's DNA, like she's his ego becoming a "Devil on the Shoulder" preclude to a full nervous breakdown. If anything, HE sounds more likely to become a villain, though this show has certainly shown that people don't usually play by the (trope) rules.
Actually I think that's Fitz's subconscious trying to heal himself, currently Fitz is utterly fucked and dependent on Simmons, but she's not there so he creates an imaginary friend he can trust. But now there is someone else who can help him, so he forces himself to talk and work with him. Simms basically forces him to work with Mac, notice how after he starts working with him she disappears.

Kenjitsuka said:
jabrwock said:
Kenjitsuka said:
Yes, that would be a nice fit for character and motivations.
But I mean purely how he looks.

I hate to post a picture of such a dick, but check out this photo of Adolf:
http://ww2today.com/30th-january-1942-hitler-repeats-his-threat-to-kill-the-jews
Massive amount of hair in the middle with almost none on the sides and that friggin' stache.

When he stepped out of the car at the end I had deja vu of some Hitler pictures, is all I'm saying...
It's because he's kinda based on Hitler. He and J.J.J are both based on Hitler, since both were supposed to be the antagonistic relics of the past that tried to force their way on the protagonist. It's the same reason most "Dad" characters in British comics look like Hitler. It's an easy evil look.

So far I'm liking Season 2 very much. I don't think Simmons is Hydra though, I think she's undercover or something the like.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Judging by the preview, and that bit between creel and his handler about compliance, I'm just going to stick with good old fashioned brainwashing.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I really dig the new format. It recaps and highlights everything important without being a 3 page verbatim script, and sectioning off the fun fan theory crafting makes the whole piece a lot more crisp!

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Can someone explain Kyle MacLachlan's "gooey-hands problem"? I thought this was his first appearance on SHIELD. What is this a reference to?

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
DoctorM said:
Can someone explain Kyle MacLachlan's "gooey-hands problem"? I thought this was his first appearance on SHIELD. What is this a reference to?
It's the first appearance of the actor, but not the character. An episode or two ago you see his hand and it's all gooey with what looks like blood, and someone mentions his daughter, which is implied at the time to be Skye.

JMac85 said:
I don't really think this is the case. I think it's more about how he's projecting his often demonstrated jealousy and insecurity in regards to other guys getting too close to Simmons.
Yeah I totally got that vibe too, especially in regards to more physically impressive men. He felt that way last season after Ward jumped out of the plane to save Simmons, but then he and Ward became buddies in the field. Getting double crossed by Ward was especially hard on Fitz in that regard.

Or maybe he's got some kind of cuckolding fetish. This season might get a bit weird.