Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Finally Tackles Its Biggest Mystery

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Finally Tackles Its Biggest Mystery

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. resolves a lingering mystery... but what took it so long?

Read Full Article

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
The way the ratings are heading I doubt this show will still be on the air by the time we get to Cap 3.

vid87

May 17, 2010
In a way I'm almost hoping it's NOT Attilan, considering all the pieces hang so well together at this point that it almost seems blatant. I'm also a little disappointed/confused that something so horrendous as those carving compulsions and gradual spirals into insanity (Gregg Clarke does such a good job showing pain) just completely stop. I'd almost guess Coulson's lying about being better but since the other guy figured it out with the train model I suppose it makes sense.

Also, something I've been noticing with this and broader themes of TV criticism - there's been complaints about violence, specifically against women, and a recent review I read on the show Stalker condemned it largely on how horrendous the violence was against female victims, up to and including a woman being set on fire in her car. Shield, meanwhile, has set a woman on fire *and watched her visibly burn to ashes*, turned an innocent woman to stone, and now showed a corpse as a carving board. I know that this is an action show so people are expected to possibly die - both men and women - and some like the petrification might seem superfluous as far as violence, but I'm just noticing that other shows seem to be judged for specific reasons that I never hear brought up with Shield, particularly in how graphic or intense it can be.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
I actually kinda hope it ends up being Atlantis, while I absolutely love the Inhumans, I think it would be a cool twist if the city they were looking for ended up being underwater. Plus we know we're gonna get an Inhumans movie so it'd be nice to give the Atlanteans some screen time

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
The Inhumans is 4 years away so no Attilan which is probably going to be on the moon but the ruins around were Attilan used to be, sure that's cheap enough.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
coheedswicked said:
I actually kinda hope it ends up being Atlantis, while I absolutely love the Inhumans, I think it would be a cool twist if the city they were looking for ended up being underwater. Plus we know we're gonna get an Inhumans movie so it'd be nice to give the Atlanteans some screen time
Marvel does not have the rights to Atlantis, Fox does, and there is no way in hell that they will give them back.

P-89 Scorpion said:
The Inhumans is 4 years away so no Attilan which is probably going to be on the moon but the ruins around were Attilan used to be, sure that's cheap enough.
just because the movie is a long ways off doesn't mean that they won't have some random inhumans running around the MCU prior to the actual movie, especially since they need some way to explain random powers that used to be attributed to mutants. the inhumans movie will simply be the first movie to mainly feature inhuman characters most likely.

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
One of the things that made me smile was Mack trying to acclimate himself to the status quo. It may be a world of superheroes and mutant inhuman nightmares, but weird is still weird. It'd be a bit too much if they said, "Oh, so the boss was using alien goo to resurrect the dead? Cool. Who wants tacos?"

That scene in mind, do you think Fitz is going to try to "fix" himself with the memory machine?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"alien(?)"

This is perfectly *fine*, since 'alien' just means: "unlike one's own; strange; not belonging to one"...
It's only quite recently that it started getting to mean extra-terrestrial. And I'd appreciate it if you used that when you mean to use it, since otherwise you become quite hard to follow!!!

"into outright horror territory via Coulson's flashbacks to the T.A.H.I.T.I. patients coming undone and the Saw-lite body horror with The Carver"

You might think the patients themselves unhinging and the distortions in vision being the most horror, but I actually found the whole situation back in the real world with Coulson in the machine much more frightening!
Actually reminds me of EMDR therapy, and that can be as close to actual pants crapppingly frightening as one can get.

Anyway, thoughts on the ep as a whole;
Very tense and interesting. And something huge got resolved, whooo!
Loved super Ward (after all, that's who he's supposed to be) being all kick ass and snide.

Cheap how the Carver was dealt with; "Oh yeah, he had a bunch of outstanding warrants with the cops or something, you guys!"... :\

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
MatParker116 said:
The way the ratings are heading I doubt this show will still be on the air by the time we get to Cap 3.
They aren't going to let the show die. Besides do you have access to the mystical ratings charts?

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
KazeAizen said:
MatParker116 said:
They aren't going to let the show die. Besides do you have access to the mystical ratings charts?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/12/tv-ratings-tuesday-supernatural-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-person-of-interest-new-girl-down-the-flash-steady/326532/

There not that hard to find.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
MatParker116 said:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/12/tv-ratings-tuesday-supernatural-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-person-of-interest-new-girl-down-the-flash-steady/326532/

They are when you don't know who's lying and who's telling truth on these things. Doesn't matter. Agents is going to continue until Disney wants it gone. the whole thing is just too big.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
KazeAizen said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
MatParker116 said:

They are when you don't know who's lying and who's telling truth on these things. Doesn't matter. Agents is going to continue until Disney wants it gone. the whole thing is just too big.

They are from Nielsen, they are the ones ABC, NBC, CBS etc pay to get the breakdown of who watched what.

Go there for 1 season and watch all the low rated shows get cancelled simple.

As to AoS if the ratings keep going down it will get cancelled there is no point in Disney paying for a 1 hour film advertisement that no one watches after all.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
MatParker116 said:

They are from Nielsen, they are the ones ABC, NBC, CBS etc pay to get the breakdown of who watched what.

As to AoS if the ratings keep going down it will get cancelled there is no point in Disney paying for a 1 hour film advertisement that no one watches after all.
Does that also count people who DVR or say stream online at Hulu or ABC? Agents is going to be around for a while.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
KazeAizen said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
MatParker116 said:

Does that also count people who DVR or say stream online at Hulu or ABC? Agents is going to be around for a while.
I find it hilarious the sudden rise of the ratings nerds, when any TV exec will tell you that in today's TV-scape, ratings mean less than they ever have (they still mean a lot, but not as much as they once did)

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
KazeAizen said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
MatParker116 said:

Yeah those don't matter no money in them. DVR and streaming have existed for years and yet when ever people make the argument "it's ratings when it aired were bad but DVR/streaming!" the shows are still cancelled because of poor live airing ratings.

DVR ratings come in two types +3 which very rarely change from live (a change even for 1 episode in a 22 episode season is rare) and +7 which do go up but again no money.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I find it hilarious the sudden rise of the ratings nerds, when any TV exec will tell you that in today's TV-scape, ratings mean less than they ever have (they still mean a lot, but not as much as they once did)
I'm no "ratings nerd" I just know that because of streaming sites and social media like Twitter that the old "Tune into a TV to register with some invisible program that reports numbers back to someone." is kind of obsolete. That's the only reason I asked that.
P-89 Scorpion said:
Yeah those don't matter no money in them. DVR and streaming have existed for years and yet when ever people make the argument "it's ratings when it aired were bad but DVR/streaming!" the shows are still cancelled because of poor live airing ratings.

DVR ratings come in two types +3 which very rarely change from live (a change even for 1 episode in a 22 episode season is rare) and +7 which do go up but again no money.
Not entirely sure about that. Last year was the last I heard about how ratings were going to start being counted and it had something to do with monitoring Twitter and seeing what's trending. Point being live airing ratings are obsolete and Agents is a special case because Disney will keep it going as long as it wants too because this is part of Kevin Feige's grand plan and when he says the story is over that's when Agents will go off the air.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
KazeAizen said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I'm no "ratings nerd" I just know that because of streaming sites and social media like Twitter that the old "Tune into a TV to register with some invisible program that reports numbers back to someone." is kind of obsolete. That's the only reason I asked that.
Wasn't actually referring to you.

But yeah, I was just reading that apparently it's cheaper these days to keep a show going with mediocre numbers but a dedicated fanbase than it is to risk replacing it with a bigger failure.

'tis the reason FOX hasn't insta-pulled Utopia, for instance.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
KazeAizen said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Wasn't actually referring to you.

But yeah, I was just reading that apparently it's cheaper these days to keep a show going with mediocre numbers but a dedicated fanbase than it is to risk replacing it with a bigger failure.

'tis the reason FOX hasn't insta-pulled Utopia, for instance.
Dedicated fanbases is basically the building blocks of nerd culture, which Agents just so happens to be a part of. The numbers will just keep humming unless something happens that just ends up making Agents one of THE break out shows. Which incidentally it makes me kind of sad that the only "nerd" show that has gained extreme mainstream appeal is Game of Thrones. We need more actual genre TV to catch on. (At this point I'm reminded of my bitterness over Terra Nova's cancellation. Now I know how Firefly fans felt).

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
MatParker116 said:

No offense but those ratings you're showing for Tuesday primetime shows AoS being the only time ABC isn't in last place. It's second, and AoS has never beaten NCIS and never will. It doesn't have to be the best show on television, it just has to be the best not-NCIS show in that line-up. And it's still doing that.

It's also beating The Flash in ratings, and that show's brand spanking new.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Quiotu said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
MatParker116 said:

No offense but those ratings you're showing for Tuesday primetime shows AoS being the only time ABC isn't in last place. It's second, and AoS has never beaten NCIS and never will. It doesn't have to be the best show on television, it just has to be the best not-NCIS show in that line-up. And it's still doing that.

It's also beating The Flash in ratings, and that show's brand spanking new.
Plus there's the fact that the US domestic ratings aren't the whole equation. While most shows made and aired in the US need to turn a profit on their initial broadcast to continue, AoS is all in-house. Marvel Studios is owned by Disney, ABC is owned by Disney, and both are working together to make the show. They make money both from advertisement and international distribution. Now I don't know how things are in other countries, but I do know that here in Canada it's the most watched show that isn't hockey on a Tuesday that regularly gets 2 million views per episode, which CTV would probably keep using big money to prevent CBC from taking from them if a third season was made. With money being all that matters, it's possible that Disney would allow it to go slightly in the red domestically to have the international distribution keep it a net positive (they are licencing it to over 100 countries after all). I think a season 3 is a safe bet, especially given that they will have a lot more props to play with if it's made (I have my doubts they'll let the Avengers props go to waste, they reused a lot of Winter Soldier ones after all).