P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Quiotu said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
KazeAizen said:
MatParker116 said:
The way the ratings are heading I doubt this show will still be on the air by the time we get to Cap 3.
They aren't going to let the show die. Besides do you have access to the mystical ratings charts?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/12/tv-ratings-tuesday-supernatural-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-person-of-interest-new-girl-down-the-flash-steady/326532/

There not that hard to find.
They are when you don't know who's lying and who's telling truth on these things. Doesn't matter. Agents is going to continue until Disney wants it gone. the whole thing is just too big.

They are from Nielsen, they are the ones ABC, NBC, CBS etc pay to get the breakdown of who watched what.

Go there for 1 season and watch all the low rated shows get cancelled simple.

As to AoS if the ratings keep going down it will get cancelled there is no point in Disney paying for a 1 hour film advertisement that no one watches after all.
No offense but those ratings you're showing for Tuesday primetime shows AoS being the only time ABC isn't in last place. It's second, and AoS has never beaten NCIS and never will. It doesn't have to be the best show on television, it just has to be the best not-NCIS show in that line-up. And it's still doing that.

It's also beating The Flash in ratings, and that show's brand spanking new.

Beating a CW show in the ratings is NOT an achievement.

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
Zontar said:
I think a season 3 is a safe bet, especially given that they will have a lot more props to play with if it's made (I have my doubts they'll let the Avengers props go to waste, they reused a lot of Winter Soldier ones after all).
"Hey, we've got, like, four Mjolnirs leftover from Thor 2. You think the Agents crew could use any?"

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
KazeAizen said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I find it hilarious the sudden rise of the ratings nerds, when any TV exec will tell you that in today's TV-scape, ratings mean less than they ever have (they still mean a lot, but not as much as they once did)
I'm no "ratings nerd" I just know that because of streaming sites and social media like Twitter that the old "Tune into a TV to register with some invisible program that reports numbers back to someone." is kind of obsolete. That's the only reason I asked that.
Wasn't actually referring to you.

But yeah, I was just reading that apparently it's cheaper these days to keep a show going with mediocre numbers but a dedicated fanbase than it is to risk replacing it with a bigger failure.

'tis the reason FOX hasn't insta-pulled Utopia, for instance.
Utopia has been cancelled and pulled with 7th November being the last episode. (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/02/utopia-canceled-by-fox/323115/)

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
KazeAizen said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I find it hilarious the sudden rise of the ratings nerds, when any TV exec will tell you that in today's TV-scape, ratings mean less than they ever have (they still mean a lot, but not as much as they once did)
I'm no "ratings nerd" I just know that because of streaming sites and social media like Twitter that the old "Tune into a TV to register with some invisible program that reports numbers back to someone." is kind of obsolete. That's the only reason I asked that.
P-89 Scorpion said:
Yeah those don't matter no money in them. DVR and streaming have existed for years and yet when ever people make the argument "it's ratings when it aired were bad but DVR/streaming!" the shows are still cancelled because of poor live airing ratings.

DVR ratings come in two types +3 which very rarely change from live (a change even for 1 episode in a 22 episode season is rare) and +7 which do go up but again no money.
Not entirely sure about that. Last year was the last I heard about how ratings were going to start being counted and it had something to do with monitoring Twitter and seeing what's trending. Point being live airing ratings are obsolete and Agents is a special case because Disney will keep it going as long as it wants too because this is part of Kevin Feige's grand plan and when he says the story is over that's when Agents will go off the air.
I know when people here box office grosses they thing the MCU is all Disney's profit but compared to what ABC tv shows make all Disney/Pixar/marvel films profit is chump change. Kevin Feige has no control over what ABC airs.

Let me ask you something what do you thing AoS brings to the MCU?

The films do not need it for advertisement the Age of Ultron trailer got more views than all season 2 of AoS has so far received. Merchandise sales? the young kids who want the toys and cheap junk are going to want stuff from the films not the TV show.

Because honestly even though I like season 2 of AoS if it can't pull it's weight in the ratings I don't see what Disney gain from it.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
Beating a CW show in the ratings is NOT an achievement.
It is when they did that here in Canada, where Flash is aired on CTV right before AoS, which is also aired on CTV.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
re: Cancellation

Even though it is not winning the night they aren't losing it either. I would think ABC would try and move the show to another night where it isn't fighting basically a two-hour NCIS episode, which has dominating its timeslot since it was first aired.

Wolyo

Sep 27, 2013
Halbert said:
That scene in mind, do you think Fitz is going to try to "fix" himself with the memory machine?
I don't know about that, but while concentrating on the video-game he could talk normally, without stumbling.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Mcoffey said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
The Inhumans is 4 years away so no Attilan which is probably going to be on the moon but the ruins around were Attilan used to be, sure that's cheap enough.
Black Panther is being introduced in Captain America 3 (And Wakanda is in Age of Ultron), over a year before his own movie. Who's to say they won't have the Inhumans present in some capacity before their own moment in the spotlight?
Individual Inhumans maybe but I don't think they will be named as Inhumans nor will Attilan show up first in a TV show as when the film comes out it will look really different due to the massive difference in scale in budgets.

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
P-89 Scorpion said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
KazeAizen said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Wasn't actually referring to you.

But yeah, I was just reading that apparently it's cheaper these days to keep a show going with mediocre numbers but a dedicated fanbase than it is to risk replacing it with a bigger failure.

'tis the reason FOX hasn't insta-pulled Utopia, for instance.
Utopia has been cancelled and pulled with 7th November being the last episode. (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/02/utopia-canceled-by-fox/323115/)
That's what happens when you mention FOX and cancellation in the same sentence. Even this post right now is killing another show.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
Mockingbird is brainwashed so now that captured hydra guy can activate her.

question is did Ward know that when he sent hydra guy?

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Wolyo said:
Halbert said:
That scene in mind, do you think Fitz is going to try to "fix" himself with the memory machine?
I don't know about that, but while concentrating on the video-game he could talk normally, without stumbling.
I was waiting for that to happen every since they showed the gaming console. Fitz needed something to occupy his hands while he thinks.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Gailim said:

It seems Ward is sincerely convinced that he wants what is best for his old SHIELD team. He wants to get back together with Skye, and knows that giving them info on Hydra is the best way to ingratiate himself with Coulson. Sure he's deluded and dangerous, potentially psychopathic, but he THINKS he's worthy of being on the team.

I'm curious to know what they're going to with "Smithers", and what Whitehall is going to do about it. My guess is Coulson won't torture/use the dream machine due to moral compunctions and Whitehall won't give a damn about his underling.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Gailim said:

Yeah, that is my theory as well.

The moment they introduced the brainwashing thing that can be activated with a phrase, I immediately thought "of course some of the team is a sleeper agent, and he is going to activate him/her at some moment to take the team by surprise". Mockingbird or Simmons seems like the most likely choices, considering their time under Hydra, but Mockingbird is still a newcomer, so of course she is the strongest candidate (and Mockingbird is the one that could cause more damage).

I am finding odd to have established superhero characters as members of agents of SHIELD, so I assumed quite fast that she would be closer to a recurring character than a permanent addition, which reinforced my idea that she would move away from the show, or get killed...

vid87

May 17, 2010
Screenrant posted an interesting tidbit I (and I think Bob) missed:

http://screenrant.com/agents-of-shield-punisher-inhumans-attilan/

The place from which Skye gets the info on the murdered Shield agent?

?One of my sources, Micro, he?s kind of a crime scene junkie.?

Possibly as in "Microchip," sidekick to The Punisher.

I'm pissed though - apparently it's been debunked that Punisher was working behind the scenes in Cap 2.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
Now, I know I'm late to the part on this- we had a power outage when it aired, then I had a nice, big ol' hunk of work time (Black Friday prep) so I just watched this one. But- at the beginning of the episode, when Skye is talking to Coulson about the carvings, she says 'if this is a map, it's a map to nowhere!'

I'm thinking, nowhere... or Knowhere? Guardians of the Galaxy didn't show us that much of it. Plus, our dead alien is confirmed 'older than the pyramids', so maybe he's tied to the Celestials in some way?

I'm very much a Marvel newb, so perhaps there's something I don't know that makes this unlikely. It does seem to tie into the current movieverse pretty well, though.