Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 Sends Heroes into the Shadows

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 Sends Heroes into the Shadows

Season two of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. feels a lot like the second half of season one... and that's a good thing.

Read Full Article

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
FitzSimmons is suffering...

In all seriousness, great premiere! Lots of action, drama, great developments. I don't think Lucy Lawless' character is dead; it seems too easy.

Looking forward to next week.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
I thought they did an amazing job with absorbing man. he looked great and he got to use his powers in diverse and cool ways not just... "I'm made of something hard so I'm invulnerable now lol"

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
""black-opsy" looking May, Skye and Tripp" <= Yeah, that was my first surprise: Skye is now cool?!!!

"Lucy Lawless" <= That XENA smirk; swoon!!!!

"stir-crazy Ward, who's made a few suicide attempts" <= I was impressed that it was not just implied, but outspoken... Just sucks that suicide is still used so extremely in media, but at least it's some progress against stigmatism of it.

"seeming to become invisible, causing the guards to panic and open the door" <= Indeed, this sucked so much... :\

"the Absorbing Man FX are at least as impressive as the stuff on Once Upon a Time" <= Impressed I was!
BUT!!! How is he 100% bulletproof when only his arm or something is hardened? Doesn't make sense in that the visuals did not match up to the reality of his bulletproofness most of the time.

"Fitz/Simmons is no more" <= One of many very interesting new twists on this show this season so far!!!

""The Obelisk" doesn't look like any piece of Marvel iconography that immediately jumps out at me" <= Well, didn't you notice that Lawless' hand started to display the same type of symbols from GH 3.25 or whatever that is called?!

Check at exactly 36 minutes 0 seconds, the symbols are *unmistakebly* the same as Coulson carved out. And Skye SAW them.

By the way, it turned her to STONE if you ask me, not charcoal. Check the HYDRA soldier at the beginning, looks Medusafied!

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I don't know I guess I was expecting some thing more with Fitz than just being crazy. At some point I'm sure there will be some pay off but the way last season ended you would think it would have been something physical as well as mental.

Absorbing Man did make it all fun and comic book so I do like they are going with the comic book stuff as show not just tell. Little things like maybe they are going with the Life Model Decoy makes it fun to watch for the little things not just the main plot. So yea I'm feeling good about season 2.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Well, I was hoping for a change of heart from Bob after this episode, but look like I was wrong. He gave it some plusses, but the minuses were so trite. (IMO)

I liked the episode. I liked HaniWard. I like his look and the underlying maniac vibe in him. Whether his obsession with Skye is true or not, it's damn creepy

I saw the Fitz psychosimmons thing coming after the second interaction with her. She just seemed too much "Simmonsy". But I like where that's going as well. We all thought it would be Simmons we'd be focused on this seasons, but looks like it's the opposite.

It'd be sad if Lucy just played one episode. Great actress for a good character. We'll see. I'm also glad Skye didn't grab the artifact like any other show would have done.

All in all, I was impressed and can't wait for the rest of the season.

ColdinT

Apr 8, 2009
The biggest mark I'd put against this episode was the stupid glass cage scene. Funny enough, putting him in a room made of plexiglass was a decent way of containing him, since he wouldn't be able to break it easily. What was stupid was that it made him "invisible" and that the guards were stupid enough to open a cell they could easily see inside. There's absolutely no reason why they would have needed to go inside to see that he was gone.

The Fitz-Simmons is very sad. First it's just feeling sympathy for Fitz because he is clearly having a hard time putting his thoughts together. Then they give another wallop by showing that the Simmons he sees is just a figment. I think the real question is if in the future that the real Simmons comes back. If Fitz doesn't realize his Simmons is imaginary, that might cause even more problems for his psyche.

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
I really liked the idea that "Isabelle Hartley" (the Lucy Lawless character) took the artifact and tried using it to defeat the superpowered villain!

I mean, think about it. It's how a lot of superhero (or supervillain) got their powers. You're in danger, you've got something not tested but perhaps useful in front of you; of course you'll try it!

It's even genre sawvy (exactly the same thing for the "cut my arm, there's nice robotic replacement out there" moment).

Anyway, like the episode, I'm a little sad for Fitz/Simmons, but, it could bring something interesing to the show. :)

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
ColdinT said:
The biggest mark I'd put against this episode was the stupid glass cage scene. Funny enough, putting him in a room made of plexiglass was a decent way of containing him, since he wouldn't be able to break it easily. What was stupid was that it made him "invisible" and that the guards were stupid enough to open a cell they could easily see inside. There's absolutely no reason why they would have needed to go inside to see that he was gone.
I rolled my eyes at that one too. There should really be a goon handbook: "If a prisoner appears to have escaped, raise the alarm and call for back-up IMMEDIATELY. Better to loose a bit of rep on a false alarm than getting your head ripped off"

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Mods are Cunts said:
I swear if the Absorbing Man, one of the most powerful human super villains gets killed by shield agents I'm done.

The guy goes one on one against Hulk and Thor, that's right in the big leagues of super villains.
I only hope they don't run in legal trouble with FOX with him.
The movie Generation X featured a mutant with that ability
http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Mondo

Not a great movie, but still watchable.
(how do i even remember this, must be 15 years ago i saw this movie once)

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Of all the objects of power in Marvel lore, I'd say the obelisk is the Infinity Stone for time. It would explain how Dr. Whitehall could stay young if he learned to harness the stone's specific powers.

Ward seems like he's under some sort of spell when it comes to Skye, which could be literally true given her unknown background.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
ryukage_sama said:
Of all the objects of power in Marvel lore, I'd say the obelisk is the Infinity Stone for time. It would explain how Dr. Whitehall could stay young if he learned to harness the stone's specific powers.

Ward seems like he's under some sort of spell when it comes to Skye, which could be literally true given her unknown background.
Hm. didn't even even crossed my mind, but yeah makes sense.

If so that leafs just 1 MIA then. (assuming Loki's staff is the Mind stone)
also if it is the Time stone (makes most sense) it will cement the show more in the MCU then the hole of last season.

Also a nice setup for Agent Carter

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Jeroenr said:
Mods are Cunts said:
I swear if the Absorbing Man, one of the most powerful human super villains gets killed by shield agents I'm done.

The guy goes one on one against Hulk and Thor, that's right in the big leagues of super villains.

Not a great movie, but still watchable.
(how do i even remember this, must be 15 years ago i saw this movie once)
That was Mondo, a mutant with the same powerset. Both characters exist in the same comic universe. Similar powersets are common in comics, until someone gets creative and makes a Glob Herman. That being said, even if FOX pursued something like this, it wouldn't fly in a court since the characters existed in the same capacity before they were presented onscreen.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Really liked this episode, and wasn't expecting it to be so dark or start off as strong. Felt like the episode moved a bit TOO fast, but I suppose that's because the previous season had a lot of small moments of characters just talking. There was very little of that, as everyone always seemed to be moving. Not a negative against the episode or anything, just something I noticed.

I was wondering if Simmons was an hallucination by the second scene with her, but she didn't seem to set off an clear bells, and I just assumed it made sense that she would be like a nurse to him. When the reveal came, I was shocked. Poor Fitz. Really liked how his actor handled everything.

Ward being all suicidal was interesting, though probably weird in hindsight? I always got that he loved Skye, but now it seems like he's super obsessed with her. I suppose you can say that's how Ward has always been since Garrett molded him in that way (being dependent on one person), but still seemed off. Is that why he has gripped onto Skye so tight, because that's the only way he knows how to live? Still a great scene, but just made me wonder.

Absorbing Man was super cool (and provided quite a bit of fanservice. Seriously, dude takes care of his body.). I really only know him from some of the Marvel games, as well as the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. Here, he seems to be a bit more intelligent, and even seems to find pleasure in his powers, literally. Dude grabbed a piece of wood, sat in a chair, and started breathing heavily.

Wait, that didn't come out right.

In any case, I didn't find him lame in the slightest like how I normally view him (despite the real threat he can possess). Hope to see more of him this season.

A bit sad Lucy Lawless bit the dust so quickly since I was actually liking her character. Grabbing the Obelisk seemed to be a "Let me try and use it, worst case is that I still die from the bad guy so what do I have to lose?" When he arm started to go, my first reaction was to get rid of said arm, and then she decided to do that just a couple of minutes later. It would be nice if she wasn't actually dead, but I guess that's not happening.

So yeah, I really enjoyed the episode! Only bad part I can think of is when they stole the jet. Felt like one of them should have been shot. Not fatally or anything, but seemed a bit too easy. If it was going to be anyone, I would have liked it to be May. I guess the combat also seemed a bit meh, but its only the first episode.

Positive includes the special effects being really good, and having a darker tone to everything. Story immediately grabs you and doesn't let go.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I was disappointed we lost Lucy Lawless already. Could they only get her for one episode, or is this another Comic Book Death?

And next week we get Kyle MacLachlan? Please tell me he's with SHIELD so we can hear Agent Cooper get called "Agent" again.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I enjoyed it. Moved a little fast at the start, but I was able to catch up. Annoyed that Ward is still around, because he's either going to escape, or they're going to try and redeem his character, and that bothers me. Or he's going to become an even bigger threat.

The only thing I'm worried about is I don't want this show to fall into S.H.I.E.L.D vs HYRDA every week. I mean, those were a lot of cells still active, and you know Coulson isn't going to let them go.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Jeroenr said:
First of all... Crusher Creel, the Absorbing Man is not a mutant.
That really ends the discussion of any legal worry from Fox.

But let's say you want to explore it further...
*Creel has never appeared in an "X-men" comic (though Peter David DID use him in one issue of X-Factor.)
*Creel has predominately appeared in Avenger-centric books.
*Creel has existed as a character for nearly 30 years before Mondo was introduced in the Generation X comic.
*And Fox does not own rights to "powers." They own rights to characters. Specific ones at that.

Mondo is barely a footnote of Marvel history. The Absorbing Man is legacy!

That said... I loved this episode!
The second Creel's handler said something like "this diamond should be a treat for you" my jaw dropped as I realized what he was about to do just second before his skin changed!
They did him damn well! And I love that they gave him the ball & chain moment! They modified his "substance addiction" in a truly creative way as well... making him addicted to becoming substances.
I have no issue with him being rendered transparent either. The idea that his guts would show dismisses the idea that he can transform his entire body, not just skin. That's canon. Glad they didn't dumb it down.

For those concerned about him going toe to toe with the likes of the Hulk & Thor... you might remember that part of the reason he COULD is because he came in contact with them. IF this Creel touched Mjolnir, he would certainly be that level of threat. But as he is now... he's a challenge, but if they are creative they can find a legitimate way to bring him down. Then again... maybe he'll always just escape.

Other notes: "Seems to be dead" and "confirmed dead" are two different things. Lawless will be back. The first thing I thought of when Hartley's hand bricked up was Grey Gargoyle. Then with the amputation I was thinking Misty Knight... neither idea makes any sense so I'm baffled on what direction they'll go with the character.

Did anyone else note that the 084 item flickered and showed patterns like the Coulson/Garrett drawings?

Oh and I LOVE that they started the season with a tie-in to Agent Carter!

Pikeperch

May 3, 2010
Overall I thought it was a quite good episode. I agree that the turning to glass part was incredibly stupid, as well as when he hid by absorbing the material of the wall in the storage room. You'd think that a large man-shaped protrusion would catch your eye.

The slow-motion/voice-over bit at the end was way too cheesy for me, and I still feel Coulson's character falls flat. I'm not sure if it is the lines he is given or the delivery, but it feels off somehow.

On a positive note, I really liked the Fitz & Simmons part, especially the twist. Usually these kinds of things can quite predictable, but I was surprised by that one.

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
Nice to have the show back, season two oughtta be fun.

About that obelisk, though, come on. There's no WAY it's an Infinity Stone or has any connection to them. Plot trinkets that big are definitely reserved for the movies. Additionally, as much as I like Shield, it's going to take its cues from the movies, not the other way around. I'd be surprised if anything that happens in the show every gets more than an easter egg level nod in the films. I'll keep watching the show, but that's what I expect.

Also, the effects looked nothing like what the Guardians stone did. This definitely looked more like petrification, not "burn you alive from the inside out and make you explode."

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
Well, it is a bit of a stretch to think that two of the Infinity Stones had wound up on Earth and in possession of Hydra during WWII. They were spread throughout the galaxy and the realms. Given the Marvel Universe and the importance of Earth(s) in it, it isn't outside the realm of possibility.... Just unlikely. If nothing else, the obelisk doesn't seem to be on the same power level that we've seen from the other stones, which have been shown to incinerate people instantly, having the power to rip open portals across dimensions and space and the like. Heck, just the power siphoned from the Tesseract was enough to fuel the entire Hydra war machine.