Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to Debut Even More Avengers 2 Footage

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to Debut Even More Avengers 2 Footage

Marvel TV series will get extended preview following trailer leak

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was supposed to leaked almost immediately [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138161-Avengers-2-Trailer-Will-Debut-During-Next-Agents-of-S-H-I-E-L-D] and then put up online by Marvel officially soon after.

The end result thrilled fans, but couldn't have been well-received by the folks behind Agents, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/agents%20of%20shield] who were likely looking to the trailer "event" for a ratings boost and a way to attract fans who tuned-out Season 1 to the new-and-improved series. Now, Marvel has announced that in light of the trailer leak, the series will instead get to debut new footage from the film not seen in the trailer.

There is no description of what this footage is or might entail; though one possibility might be the now-famous "party scene" shown to attendees at SDCC. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136452-SDCC-2014-Marvel-Debuts-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Footage]

Source: HitFix [http://www.hitfix.com/news/next-agents-of-shield-episode-will-include-more-avengers-age-of-ultron-footage]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
It's a smart move.

Fans of the series can only hope the news gets circulated quickly and widely enough for it to have the desired increase in viewers tuning in.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Here's my question though: Does the original leak (or a potential leak of this new footage) truly hurt the ratings? Let me explain my reasoning. Someone is going to record this footage when it airs one way or another and make it available online, probably minutes after it airs. Is there anyone who simply cannot wait that much longer to view the footage rather than tune into a show they may not want to watch? Are people who already decided AoS is not worth their time going to tune in to see this footage when they know they can just watch it online within the next day?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sounds good to me. I enjoy the show enough, but having this to look forward to will make me even more excited.

On a side note, why is Ward still shown as part of the team? How many new members do they have now, and yet we keep putting the traitor up there instead of any one of them? I mean, can't we have him standing the in the background at the very least?

EDIT: I have been informed that the picture is from season 1. Season 2 is two posts below, and looks better. :)

Overhead

Apr 29, 2012
Okay I'm, off to bed. I'll enjoy watching the new leaked trailer in the morning.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Sounds good to me. I enjoy the show enough, but having this to look forward to will make me even more excited.

On a side note, why is Ward still shown as part of the team? How many new members do they have now, and yet we keep putting the traitor up there instead of any one of them? I mean, can't we have him standing the in the background at the very least?
That's the cast photo from season 1. Season 2's looks like this:

He's still present, but he's off to the side more, looking surly.
Ah, that is much better. But...it kind of looks tacky, too. Like it was just a quick, "Get everyone together and take a picture." They all look too scattered, but then I can understand why they're going for that. Fitz is broken, Simmons was off with HYDRA, although her being closest to Ward might be a hint that she is now a sleeper agent, Ward is a traitor, so of course he's by himself. The two new guys are in the back together because they don't really have a 'place' with everyone else yet. Trip (is that his name?) is off to the side because he really only bonded with Simmons, so he's kind of out of place with her gone. I mean, I was hoping he'd be the new Ward, but he's kind of getting pushed aside this season. Skye is trying to be part of the team, but as we see, her mind is on something else, and May knows it, which is why she's more focused on her than Coulson. Coulson seems to be the only one who's still SHIELD through and through.

Uh, sorry. Did I just spend way too much time reading into that picture? :)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I get the feeling that the friends and family of whoever leaked the trailer are wondering why said person never came home from work that day. I wonder how long it'll be before a Missing Person's Report is filed. =3

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
Nice, quick counterpoint: "you've already seen thing A, so we'll just show you thing B instead. Works for us."

I mean, I was going to watch SHIELD either way, since I enjoy the show, but I hope this announcement gets circulated enough that at least some people will still watch that wouldn't have otherwise. I want this show to last, dammit!

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
And it gets leaked in 3... 2...

Seriously, why don't they just abandon the TV show since the ratings are quite obviously going through the floor to the point where they need to do stunts like this just to get people to watch it!

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I doubt I'll tune in. I'm already sporting wood from the first trailer. If I get any harder I'll have to consult a doctor. At no point in my life would I have thought that James Spader would give me an erection, much less one that would last for six months.

Seriously though I will be watching AoS for the first time since probably episode 3.

Captcha: tuna fish. wtf

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
truckspond said:
Seriously, why don't they just abandon the TV show since the ratings are quite obviously going through the floor to the point where they need to do stunts like this just to get people to watch it!
The problem with Series 1 was that they were held up doing anything good because they had to wait for Captain America 2 to play out. The same problem is going to come up again and again as the t.v show waits for the various SHIELD related movies to do their thing before they can carry on. Inter-continuity works good, except when you try to cross cinema and t.v.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
truckspond said:
You do realize that outside the US the show is a smash hit, right? Since it's made by ABC and Marvel, both companies owned by Disney, what matters is total revenue from domestic advertisement and international broadcast leasing, as opposed to domestic ad revenue as is the norm with these shows. The stunt seems more to just increase the ammount of money they're making by getting viewership up, seems less like the show is THAT desperate for more domestic views.

Season 3 in my mind seems a pretty safe bet unless there's a collapse in viewership again. It may get its budget cut a bit, but if Arrow can last 3 seasons and get a spin-off series on half the viewership AoS has, well all I can say is "go team coulson"

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
RJ 17 said:
I get the feeling that the friends and family of whoever leaked the trailer are wondering why said person never came home from work that day. I wonder how long it'll be before a Missing Person's Report is filed. =3
After this announcement, I'm starting to wonder if the leak was intentional.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
COMaestro said:
Here's my question though: Does the original leak (or a potential leak of this new footage) truly hurt the ratings? Let me explain my reasoning. Someone is going to record this footage when it airs one way or another and make it available online, probably minutes after it airs. Is there anyone who simply cannot wait that much longer to view the footage rather than tune into a show they may not want to watch? Are people who already decided AoS is not worth their time going to tune in to see this footage when they know they can just watch it online within the next day?
Plenty of people like to see stuff as soon as it's available, first or as close to first as possible. The Internet runs on it, especially the live tweeting and conversation part of the Internet. So there probably will be a minor ratings boost for this episode.

Meanwhile, hurt isn't quite the right word. The trailer could have helped the ratings. The leak negated that. Clearly, Disney still believes exclusive footage can help because they're making up for it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Uh, sorry. Did I just spend way too much time reading into that picture? :)
A picture's worth more than a thousand words, you just keep analysing, that small piece of text isn't near enough to clarify as an analysis of a picture ;)

That picture is pretty cool though, I think it catches the feeling of season 2 pretty well.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Zontar said:
truckspond said:
You do realize that outside the US the show is a smash hit, right? Since it's made by ABC and Marvel, both companies owned by Disney, what matters is total revenue from domestic advertisement and international broadcast leasing, as opposed to domestic ad revenue as is the norm with these shows. The stunt seems more to just increase the ammount of money they're making by getting viewership up, seems less like the show is THAT desperate for more domestic views.

Season 3 in my mind seems a pretty safe bet unless there's a collapse in viewership again. It may get its budget cut a bit, but if Arrow can last 3 seasons and get a spin-off series on half the viewership AoS has, well all I can say is "go team coulson"
Big difference between the ratings expectations of The CW and ABC though as is the budget of both shows (I've read that the budget is Game of Thrones like for Agents of Shield). As for internationally it's experienced a similar ratings drop here in the UK.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
MatParker116 said:
Zontar said:
truckspond said:

Big difference between the ratings expectations of The CW and ABC though as is the budget of both shows (I've read that the budget is Game of Thrones like for Agents of Shield). As for internationally it's experienced a similar ratings drop here in the UK.
Uh, no, AoS has nowhere near the budget Game of Thrones does. Their budget is about 6 million per episode, which is three times the norm for prime time television. AoS is unlikely to have more then 2 million for its per-episode budget. Though it should be able to manage for a third season, given that domestically it about 3.2 million per episode on advertisement in the US, at least according to one source I found. If true then it probably will see a third season, what with turning a profit on the domestic alone and the licencing from the international being added on top of it.

As for the ratings drop, that may be true but season two seems to have held its viewership in the US, and outside of the first two episodes here in Canada and in Australia its pulling enough views to make CTV and whoever is airing it down under to more then likely want to get the licence for a third season.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Zontar said:
MatParker116 said:
Zontar said:
truckspond said:

Uh, no, AoS has nowhere near the budget Game of Thrones does. Their budget is about 6 million per episode, which is three times the norm for prime time television. AoS is unlikely to have more then 2 million for its per-episode budget. Though it should be able to manage for a third season, given that domestically it about 3.2 million per episode on advertisement in the US, at least according to one source I found. If true then it probably will see a third season, what with turning a profit on the domestic alone and the licencing from the international being added on top of it.

As for the ratings drop, that may be true but season two seems to have held its viewership in the US, and outside of the first two episodes here in Canada and in Australia its pulling enough views to make CTV and whoever is airing it down under to more then likely want to get the licence for a third season.
The Pilot apparently cost $14 Million dollars, I don't have exact figures but I imagine the per episode budget is similar to Lost (around $4 million).