AI in video games: your thoughts

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
He cherry picked and exploited a lot with some heavy editing though. If the AI were really like that during normal play we could’ve walked though Survivor literally without risk of dying. Matthewmatosis has a far more balanced critique (about 6:20 in if time stamp doesn’t work yet). He also echoes one of my biggest complaints about story-driven games typically still being a detriment to the gameplay, and vice versa. It’s a lofty goal that is still very much being iterated upon.

Although still not nearly amazing, I think they improved on some things regarding AI in the sequel too, thankfully.
You are naturally going to cherry-pick when you show something bad or something good happening. I feel the video I linked was good at pointing out the stuff shown at E3 that just isn't in the game; I don't recall a melee enemy ever hiding/camping around a corner or even having to pursue an enemy. Games can still be plenty hard with bad AI especially when you either don't know the exploits or know the exploits and don't take advantage of them. I'm guessing you didn't try distract the enemies with noise in the middle of gunfights like shown in the video because it's not something you would naturally think to do in such a situation.

Matthewmatosis did say the game shouldn't have shipped in the state the AI was in meaning the AI just wasn't good. Even at the 17:30 point past the AI section when he's talking about gun sway and missing headshots, he shoots and misses an enemy that ends up just running to stand in front of a store window making for an easy headshot seconds later. The common complaint about Ellie is more than just about Ellie breaking immersion but also displays how bad the general pathing AI because it's not like the enemy AI and Ellie AI are completely different, they will obviously share plenty of code and logic. Ellie not being able to navigate the environment well leads into the enemy not being able to as well like that 17:30 example. AI in Ghost of Tsushima can't see horses for example.

I would love to play a game like TLOU with much much much better AI because the gunfights would play out totally different than what we're used to in video games. Matthewmatosis mentions gunfights are still very whack-a-mole-like in TLOU. Why not stop focusing so much on graphics and making the games look better and focus on stuff like AI? That would give different, new and fresh gaming experiences vs playing basically the same games but better looking.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker