Air purifiers

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Just canvassing for opinions from people who've been wise/foolish enough to part with cash for one before I do/don't join their ranks.

I tried searching the wider internet, but it's very pro-AP, given its sole modern purpose is to stoke divisions between me and my wallet (yes, I am old-fashioned, I still have a real wallet [with photos!]).

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I think it's a YMMV kind of thing

I have one and I didn't really notice much of a change in using it. I can certainly...smell for lack of a better word, that the air is fresher when it is in use. Whether that is actually helpful to me or not I'm not certain of. However, I live alone in my house with two cats that minimally shed. With Black Friday here however, I am considering getting a bigger one for my living room (right now I have a smaller one that I basically just move room to room). Even if it doesn't really help too much with sickness or whatever, I do like the change to the air that you can feel it does.

My buddies who live in an apartment swear by theirs. They've stated that they haven't gotten sick in quite a long time once they started using the air purifier and given that they live in an apartment (where you're sharing your vents with potentially hundreds of other people), I imagine it would be much more effective for someone like that.

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Maybe it's just me, but I really need mine. I have a fairly a large one for my open-floor-plan living space. I bought it years ago because the air quality seemed to be bad and I was having at least the perception of breathing issues. While using the AP, those issues appear to have subsided, so that's a pro-vote from me.

Reactions: Baffle

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Honestly, the mileage you get out of air purifiers depends heavily on the region in which you live, the quality of your HVAC system, whether you live in a house or apartment (and its age), and whether you have pets. I live in one of the worst places in the US for allergies -- the Ohio river valley -- and depend on mine for about six months out of the year.

The marketing is in pushing consumers to buy bigger purifiers than they actually need, and/or more complex ones that do the job at higher price points. The rub is if you look at the small print on most commercial air purifiers, their room size recommendations are based on the cubic feet of air the purifier can circulate five times per hour. That's massively overkill, unless an inhabitant has COPD, asthma, or some form of autoimmune disorder that makes clean air an absolute necessity. Most air purifiers will easily keep spaces up to 2-4 times their advertised size comfortably clean.

You really don't need a multiple-hundred-dollar app-driven purifier with internal air quality sensors, with electrostatic and HEPA filters, that circulate air in a given room 3-5 times per hour. Your home isn't a clean room, and it certainly doesn't need to meet or exceed FDA standards for medical and food facilities.

The bottom line is if you live in a new-ish domicile with an up-to-date HVAC, as long as you're not in an area prone to air quality issues, you probably won't get much mileage out of an air purifier. Just keep up on home sanitation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baffle

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Thanks for your input everyone, a fine-mesh bag for my head it is.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
How often do you clean your PC?

I determined that I didn't need an air-purifier when I moved into my current house because after not cleaning my PC in the two years since I moved I opened it for a cleaning and found it to have an almost completely dust free interior. That's with using a mesh case with no filters, which is basically the worst case for a PC in terms of dust.

So my recommendation is to clean your PC thoroughly, and then check it after about 6 months and see how much dust build up there is. If it's substantial then you could probably use an air purifier, and if there's barely any dust in there that also means there's barely anything in the air worth worrying about.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Well, I got one and it's giving me an absolute bollocking about the air standard right next to the dog.