Akira Movie's Engine Still Revving

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
2100+ pages in 2 hours? I thought they learned this makes it suck that last time they tried to make a movie

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Sonicron said:
Never watched the anime movie... as someone who's watched a lot of anime in his life and vastly prefers the new drawing style (as in, say, FMA or Bleach), is it worth checking out?
It's interesting, if a bit (read: completely) incomprehensible at times. I just watched it again this year for the first time since the mid-90s, and I was not very impressed after having seen so much other stuff since then that I've enjoyed a lot more. If you like rather weird things that are somewhat open-ended and let you/require you to come up with your own conclusions about them, go nuts. I think it's decent but pretty overrated.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Let me get this straight....Andrew Lazar, the producer of "critically acclaimed" films such as Death to Smoochy [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/death_to_smoochy/], Jonah Hex [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jonah_hex/] and Catch That Kid [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/catch_that_kid/]....is producing a LIVE ACTION [http://www.impawards.com/2004/posters/garfield_ver4.jpg] adaptation of the MANGA/ANIME [http://dailychapter.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/dragonball-evolution.jpg] Akira???

I don't care how good their director is; this sounds like a terrible idea!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I bet they will take out everything but the Biker's and revolution thing and skip the sci fi/fantasy elements or water them down so badly it will be like DOOM....... only with Bikers......

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:

You know in your heart it will be true.
That was soooooo fantastic it made me unable to stand up for fear of embarassment!

All this talk of live action Akira just makes me want to crack out the DVD set again. But the question is... origional or re mastered?

OR I CAN WATCH BOTH AND PICK OUT THE DIFFERENCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Just watched Akira again the other day and enjoyed it, but it could do with an update. Dunno if this is going to shape up right, given a troubled history :/

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Sonicron said:
Never watched the anime movie... as someone who's watched a lot of anime in his life and vastly prefers the new drawing style (as in, say, FMA or Bleach), is it worth checking out?
It's great. Just take note that due to the manga's popularity at the time, the anime tells an incomplete story and has a different ending than the manga (the manga took two years to finish after the anime was released). Oh, and it had almost-realistic lip-syncing (remember that this wasin 1988).

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Horny Ico said:
soapyshooter said:
2100+ pages in 2 hours? I thought they learned this makes it suck that last time they tried to make a movie
It's nice that you're doing what you love by wagging your cock in our faces, but we'd respect you more if you actually read the fucking article.
Correction, split into two parts. Thats 4 hours based on average movie length. That's still 2100+ pages condensed into 4 hours. They will prune a whole bunch of stuff and to make it appeal to more mainstream audiences cut even more material, which will result in a crap movie. Its not like we haven't seen this before with other movie adaptations. Movies based books with far less material have managed to suck. In the right hands it has potential but chances are higher for it go very wrong. I did read the article, I don't understand the hostility

EDIT: And what exactly does "wagging your cock" in someone's face mean?

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
It almost certainly won't go well. The director they have (had?) wasn't that well regarded (but at least wasn't Michael Bay), they were already dicking around with the setting and the characters... basically turbo adaption decay was already setting in before a frame of film had been shot, in exactly the same way as most movie license cash-ins of the type go.

Heck, even the anime itself was a howling deviation from the manga after about the first half-hour... but to be fair they ran out of time, money, and eventually comic (as, like the similarly faithful-then-derailed Nausicaa, it went into production whilst the manga was still being written and somewhat planned ad-hoc by the artist, so they had to improvise from the sketchy outline ideas at the end). Maybe having access to the full material they'll do better, in a Lord of the Rings kind of way.

Though even LOTR wasn't spared the mangling horrors of having to adapt a huge body of written (or drawn) work to even a very long set of films - there's still discussions going on today about which bits they really shouldn't (or should) have cut from the finished version. Whole minor character subplots went missing. And if that can't get away with a clean bill of health - and the typical form for "hey, this thing is popular as a comic / cartoon / tv show / book / videogame*, let's make a movie out of it!" tends to be "making an absolute dog's breakfast of it**" - I'm not holding out a great deal of hope until I've at least seen trailers for this, and the finished version of Airbender.

Oh, and if it's STILL on track to be set in Neo Manhattan, and featuring characters with anglicised names - which even the worst anime hack dub doesn't dare do any more - then I'm sorry, it's already beyond rescue. The original didn't need to change that to become wildly popular, and the production/screenwriting crew ought to have more balls and vision to realise that a movie doesn't have to be set in one of two or three major US cities and have whiter than white western heroes in order to be successful.

* The only one that seems to really work well is stage plays, because they're of a similar length and format to movies...
** Particularly, ooh, let's see... Transformers? Mario Bros? Any/all fighting-game based titles? DBZ of course? Heck, I like the Iron Man movie(s) just fine, and they're pretty accurate, but if you think they're super faithful to the comic you're only fooling yourself. I would, however, welcome a Gunsmith Cats and/or Dominon Tank Police adaption that blended the best bits of the comics and the cartoon mini-series (as they had entirely seperate storylines - an excellent idea) into its own unique style, whilst avoiding doing a terrible Tank Girl or Austin-Powers-esque parody of the whole thing.

Marv21

Jan 1, 2009
Well if they can make a Watchmen movie that is pretty good, they can probably make a bareable Akira.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Even if this as made in Japan, I won;t see this. I first saw Akira in the early or mid 90s as a kid, mature label be damned, & every time I saw iton TV or in an anime club in the years after, I continue to dislike the anime. But I'll admit that it partly stems from how much I detest the art & partly because the movie is the most confusing thing I've ever seen & no matter how many times I've seen it, I still don't get it.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I'm looking forward to it, but mostly because I'm not as fanaticly, rabidly defensive over anime as I am transformers. If this turns out to be as bad as Revenge of the Fallen, I can just go watch the original movie and I'll forget this ever happened, until Moviebob reminds me and then I'll just watch it again.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
soapyshooter said:
Horny Ico said:
soapyshooter said:
It's nice that you're doing what you love by wagging your cock in our faces, but we'd respect you more if you actually read the fucking article.
Correction, split into two parts. Thats 4 hours based on average movie length. That's still 2100+ pages condensed into 4 hours. They will prune a whole bunch of stuff and to make it appeal to more mainstream audiences cut even more material, which will result in a crap movie. Its not like we haven't seen this before with other movie adaptations. Movies based books with far less material have managed to suck. In the right hands it has potential but chances are higher for it go very wrong. I did read the article, I don't understand the hostility

EDIT: And what exactly does "wagging your cock" in someone's face mean?
Maybe it means he/she/it likes you.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Akira the book,was amazing. The movie was great until the last 40 minutes. Admit it everyone, the story just dropped.