Akira Movie's Engine Still Revving

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Akira Movie's Engine Still Revving

Production for the troubled live action Akira movie could now be on the fast track.

A movie based on the 2100+ page Katsuhiro Otomo manga epic Akira has been on the Hollywood rollercoaster for a while now, sometimes seemingly making progress [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98217-Akira-Movie-to-Be-Directed-By-Hughes-Brothers] into existence and at other times disappearing completely. According to producer Andrew Lazar, it's definitely still in the works and a priority.

Speaking to Collider [http://www.collider.com/2010/06/17/producer-andrew-lazar-interview-jonah-hex-akira-get-smart-2-joe-namath-one-finger-salute/], Lazar said that Akira is "still moving forward." A new writer has been hired and the team is conceptualizing it, with "lots of pre-production" going on right now.

These are decent signs by themselves, but Lazar also said that Warner Bros. Pictures loves the property and that it is "very enthusiastic." There was no mention of a possibly gigantic budget as has been rumored in the past.

Akira was made into an animated film [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqp1BDXpAJU] in 1988 which became very popular worldwide. It tells the dark and brutal story of a futuristic motorcycle gang that gets involved with a secret psychic government experiment. At one point in time, anybody that liked anime had without a doubt seen Akira.

Warner is actually planning to create two films, splitting the six voulmes of Otomo's manga between each. The anime and manga are definitely both worth experiencing, though two live action films with a big budget could be even better if done correctly.

Source: Collider [<a href=]

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
"If done correctly", yes. The problem is that there are too many opportunities for screwing it up.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I have a hard time picturing this as anything but live-action Speed Racer with killer teddy bears, hydrocephalic child-things, and Videodrome tumours.
Now that I say it out loud, it doesn't sound so bad.

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
Lazarus Long said:
I have a hard time picturing this as anything but live-action Speed Racer with killer teddy bears, hydrocephalic child-things, and Videodrome tumours.
Now that I say it out loud, it doesn't sound so bad.
I'm gonna have to agree with you on that.
However, I am deeply, deeply afraid.

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Heh, my first anime movie... I'd hate to see them screw up this one.
I think they're doing this one live-action actually, so it would be a movie based on a manga. Let's hope they don't screw it up as badly as Dragon Ball Evolution.

Also, I fucking loved the 1988 animated movie.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I was very cynical, until you mentioned splitting the volumes across two movies.

That, that has me genuinely intrigued if it's what they do. I really hope they do a decent job of it. I don't want another Dragon Ball and what Avatar (the other one) will inevitably be.

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
I cannot help think this will be a disaster. However, I thought the same thing when I heard someone was finally doing a live action version of "Lord of the Rings".

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
LightOfDarkness said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Heh, my first anime movie... I'd hate to see them screw up this one.
I think they're doing this one live-action actually, so it would be a movie based on a manga.
Yeah I realize that. I just meant that the old Akira movie was the first anime movie I ever saw, many years back. Because of that it's a bit nostalgic for me, and I hope that they don't screw up this live action adaption of the same story.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Never watched the anime movie... as someone who's watched a lot of anime in his life and vastly prefers the new drawing style (as in, say, FMA or Bleach), is it worth checking out?

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
The problem there is with the "if done correctly" part. Since when has hollywood ever done anything like this correctly?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I have a friend who will be very, very angry if this is screwed up. Personally, though, I'm saving my rage for a possible Haruhi or Eva movie.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:

You know in your heart it will be true.
damn ninjad

and yes its a 99,9% chance this movie is going to be a total piece of shit pie...