Alan Rickman of Die Hard and Harry Potter Fame Passes Away At 69

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Alan Rickman of Die Hard and Harry Potter Fame Passes Away At 69

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1255/1255594.jpgBeloved actor and notorious on-screen villain Alan Rickman died today following a struggle with cancer.

Alan Rickman, one of Britain's most beloved actors, has passed away. His family made the announcement earlier today, revealing the cause of death as cancer. He was 69 years old.

Rickman started his career in theater, and eventually transitioned to TV dramas in the 1980s. But it wasn't until his film debut, Die Hard, that he found mainstream appeal - largely thanks to a chilling performance as Hans Gruber. Rickman proved highly capable of a threatening, yet intellectually sophisticated presence, making him an ideal candidate for on-screen villains. He won a BAFTA for his performance as the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and was the primary antagonist of Sweeney Todd. He also lend that presence to Harry Potter's Professor Snape, creating a rich portrayal that was among the most memorable of his career.

While Rickman's film legacy may be filled with villains, those who knew him personally remember him as a friendly and charming man. James Phelps, who played as Harry Potter's Fred Weasley called Rickman "one of the nicest actors I've ever met. Thoughts and prayers with his family at this time."

His twin brother Oliver (who played as George) echoed those sentiments. "Terribly sad news about the passing of Alan Rickman," he said. "A funny and engaging person who put a shy young actor at ease when I was on Harry Potter."

However you remember Alan Rickman, be it as Hans Gruber, Professor Snape, or even his comedic turns in Love Actually or Dogma, one thing is clear - we've lost a genuine acting legend today. He will be deeply missed.

[gallery=5422]

Source: <a href=http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35313604>BBC

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!

Goddammit. Who's next? People have been dropping like flies lately.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I honestly would never of guessed that he was in 50's during Harry Potter, late 30's to 40's maybe yeh. He sure looked good for his age!

Rip Alan, you will be missed.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
One of the greatest actors of our time. 2016 started off really shitty.

If this topic doesn't reach 394 pages I'll be very disappointed.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Goddammit 2016, did you have to kick start the new year with so much bad news. Every other celebrity who is 69 must be panicking right now.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Bummer. The first thing I remember him for is his voice work for marvin the manically depressed robot in the hitchhiker's guide movie. He managed to make what could have been a very annoying character into a charming little sob box. And then also hans gruber and snape etc etc. He was my favorite thing about the harry potter movies.

Well, at least he won't be in pain anymore. RIP.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dalek Caan said:
Goddammit 2016, did you have to kick start the new year with so much bad news. Every other celebrity who is 69 must be panicking right now.
I was about to ask wasn't that the same age David Bowie was at? According to IMDB others of that age include Tommy Lee Johns, Steven Spielberg, Tim Curry, Sally Field, Danny Glover and Donald Trump(we can only hope)

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Damn, this has not been a good week for 69 year old british celebrity guys.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
69 year old British dudes are bound to be quaking in their boots at this stage.

Stay safe Micky Rowzen [http://www.walker.co.uk/walkerdam/getimage.aspx?class=person&id=1502&size=powerpoint].

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Silentpony said:
Dalek Caan said:
I was about to ask wasn't that the same age David Bowie was at? According to IMDB others of that age include Tommy Lee Johns, Steven Spielberg, Tim Curry, Sally Field, Danny Glover and Donald Trump(we can only hope)
Tommy Lee Jones is only 69? Holy crap, he looked that old in Space Cowboys back in 2000. He must spend a lot of time staring into the sun.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
He ain't dead, God just needed her messenger back upstairs.

Now nobody be hitting him with a fire extinguisher when he gets back.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Ugh, fuck cancer, man, seriously.

Alan Rickman was awesome. Loved him in Galaxy Quest and Die Hard plus many other movies over the years.

By Grabthar's hammer, he will be missed.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Just watched Legend last night where he played an important role with the Kray twins. He was one of those underrated actors, like Philip Seymour Hoffman, only marginally less tragic circumstances considering Hoffman's passing. You shall live eternal in the characters you gave us. We thankyou for that. Underrated = underappreciated i guess technically.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Goddamnit, this year is starting off with a shitty note concerning deaths.

Rest in peace, good sir, and may a flight of snarky angels sing thee to thy rest.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
Jesus Christ, by now Cancer should just pay its goddamn rent and fuck off

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
He was amazing in everything!
I'll remember Galaxy Quest, Dogma and Die Hard best of all. :(