Alan Wake is "Done"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Alan Wake is "Done"

After years of waiting, Alan Wake [http://www.remedygames.com/] is "done." But it's not quite ready.

We've been waiting for this for a long time. Since mid-2005, in fact, two years after the release of Remedy's last game, Duke Nukem [http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne2/]?

The answer is a resounding "No!" Speaking at a presentation at GDC Europe, Remedy Managing Director Matias Myllyrinne was very direct in his assessment. "It's all done," he said. "We're just polishing at this point."

As proof that this bun is really in the oven, a new trailer narrated by Remedy writer Sam Lake has been posted on Eurogamer.fr [http://www.eurogamer.fr/videos/presentation-alan-wake-exclusive], featuring background, gameplay video and a look at the nightmare bestselling author Alan Wake is trapped in as he searches for his missing wife and the lost pages of a manuscript he can't remember writing - and that's coming terrifyingly true.

So it's "done," but not done. Finished, but not ready. Completed, but not concluded. Got it? The relevant point is this: If the spring 2010 release date holds, Remedy will have more than enough time to polish this thing to perfection. Now if they could just polish us up a PC version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93183-Remedy-No-Alan-Wake-on-PC-Unless-Microsoft-Says-So], all would be well.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I can't recall ever hearing of "Alan Wake" before now, and from the trailer I can't see much reason to be worried about whether and when it comes out or not. Just what the world needs... another shooter with a lame story. Shouldn't Steven King be getting royalties for its premise? It looks like they are trying to capture American pop culture and failing.

Duke Nukem RIP.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Wow. Looks like a solid story. Good voice acting? Nice graphics? Clean looking UI with cutscenes to tell the story and keep you interested? How am I supposed to play this AND heavy rain at the same time?
Color me impressed.

DigitalJedl

Apr 10, 2009
Looks... interesting.

I have yet to purchase an XB360, maybe I'll snag this too..
I do like the light idea, but is there anything on say what if your batteries in the flashlight run out?

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
I don't know if it's just me but it gives off a 'Silent Hill' type of vibe.
Looking forward to this one though.

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
I have to say, when I first heard about this game, I was pretty excited. But now whenever I see it I just give a big "Meh".

DigitalJedl

Apr 10, 2009
RAWKSTAR said:
Sort of, I would say more of a Silent Hill: Homecoming vibe mixed with The Room.
Maybe it's because the main character looks similar to...

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
The longer they wait, the less hype there will be upon the release.
Still, it's nice that they're taking time to polish the game up, so to speak. I won't mind the extra wait if it means a higher quality product.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
Fanusc101 said:
I have to say, when I first heard about this game, I was pretty excited. But now whenever I see it I just give a big "Meh".
Really? I am the opposite, that trailer made me really excited, looked tense, can't wait to see how it plays out.

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
When I first heard of this game I was very intrigued. After watching the trailer, I'm even more happy to see it actually is coming out. Even though it's coming out for XBox and I only have a PS3, I'm still excited for it, and for XBox'ers. Oh well, Heavy Rain can fill the void.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Can't say I really ever payed too much attention to this game before, even though I knew it was coming about. That trailer totally put it back on my radar.

Fearzone said:
I can't recall ever hearing of "Alan Wake" before now, and from the trailer I can't see much reason to be worried about whether and when it comes out or not. Just what the world needs... another shooter with a lame story. Shouldn't Steven King be getting royalties for its premise? It looks like they are trying to capture American pop culture and failing.

Duke Nukem RIP.
You didn't really pay much attention to the video did you?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
RAWKSTAR said:
Yeah, thats sort of why I'm in two minds about buying it - me and horror games are not friends. That said, it does look like an excellent game.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
You didn't really pay much attention to the video did you?
Fine, perhaps I spoke hastily, maybe it will be great. But if so, I say just give us a great game instead of telling us that sometime down the road you'll be giving us a great game. I look forward to reading reviews and evaluating it as a possible purchase WHEN it does come.