Alan Wake Setting Down His Pen After The Writer DLC

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Alan Wake Setting Down His Pen After The Writer DLC

The story of a story within a story is finally coming to an end, as Remedy announces that the next piece of Alan Wake DLC will be the last.

Remedy CEO Matias Myllyrinne has confirmed that The Writer, the second piece of downloadable content for Alan Wake [http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Xbox-360/dp/B0010AYJXI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285080689&sr=8-2], will bring the story to its conclusion. Myllyrinne didn't go in to detail about the content of the episode, aside from saying that it had some "intense action."

It's also been revealed that Remedy has licensed the Depeche Mode song The Darkest Star to play over the episode's closing credits. The song is said to "link strongly" to the game's storyline and Oskari Häkkinen, Remedy's head of franchise development, commented that it fit the game so well it made the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end.

There's still no word on a sequel yet, either positive or negative. Remedy has said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101586-Remedy-Confident-of-Alan-Wake-Sequel] in the past that it could see no reason why Microsoft wouldn't exercise its option on a sequel, but it's no secret [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102027-Remedy-Blames-Stiff-Competition-for-Poor-Alan-Wake-Sales] that the game didn't sell especially well when it came out. It might be that The Writer isn't just the end to Alan Wake 1, but the end of the whole Alan Wake story.

The Writer doesn't have a release date at the moment, although it will cost 560 Microsoft points when it becomes available.

Source: Evil Avatar [http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124278] via 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/alan-wake-next-dlc]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"aside from saying that it had some "intense action.""

So exactly what was wrong with the first DLC then. Brilliant.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Even though I enjoyed the game and I think it deserved better sales I believe there is no need for a sequel.
It was a game based solely around story; an original concept. They couldn't possibly make a sequel and simply call it Alan Wake 2. The story is done and dusted. I'm glad.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Woodsey said:

Yeah. Although, I did like the use of light-on-words being expanded...It was rather brilliant in those sequences.

Stop making Alan Wake focus on action. That's when it fucks up.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:
Even though I enjoyed the game and I think it deserved better sales I believe there is no need for a sequel.
It was a game based solely around story; an original concept. They couldn't possibly make a sequel and simply call it Alan Wake 2. The story is done and dusted. I'm glad.
I would disagree.

You can still pull out to a larger story, and there were plenty of unanswered questions. It's almost like saying that Lost could have easily ended when they opened the hatch.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Haven't played it yet, and I'll probably wait for this new DLC to come out so I can play though the whole story in one go.

Modus Operandi

Mar 11, 2010
I hope they do a sequel. I think Alan Wake is a shining example how a good, solid story can make a great game even with repetitive gameplay and decidedly average graphics. "The Signal" was a bit of a disappointment, so hopefully "The Writer" will do better.

The story is done and dusted.
Hardly. There's still so much to wrap up in the original story that there is more than plenty for a sequel story.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Maybe if they had released it wider they would have had more sales. Sheesh. With a bit of luck this one will be better then the first DLC.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woodsey said:

Yeah. Although, I did like the use of light-on-words being expanded...It was rather brilliant in those sequences.

Stop making Alan Wake focus on action. That's when it fucks up.
It would have worked much better with some puzzles, and I liked the minefield idea - but then they through enemies in as well and it became a pain in the arse. Don't even get me started on the room with the furnaces.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I'm sad its ending, but as long as the ending is good, I'm okay with it. Its still my game of the year.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
JokerboyJordan said:
If they had included all of that story in the first game, I might have picked it up. Talk of DLC episodes was what killed off my intentions of buying it on day one.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Yeah, sure! Make us pay for the ending of a game we already payed 60 bucks for. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that...

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
that's the problem with these games, is that they are a one shot deal. I rented it , loved it, played the hell out of it, got all but 2 cheevos for it and now I'm done with it.

There's no unlockables, save for pages. No need or want for a mulitplayer mode, I doubt you'll ever hear someone say lets play alan wake over CODBo, reach, gears 3 etc. They would have to undercut the market to sell games. Had they come in at a lower price point say 39.99 people would have bought it. 69.99 for a game you know is one shot with no replayability aside from nightmare mode, which by the time I started it was in full realizaiton you could just run from safespot to safespot. It's a great game but after you've played it you've played it and I'm glad my ticket to ride only cost 11 bucks instead of 70.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I can hear Alan Wake 2 bells ringing in he distance...

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Remember that article about Horror games awhile back that said Alan Wake would be the best horror game ever? That it would change the way of Horror games for years to come?

Yeah, I'll bet that guy's kicking himself now over basically giving more advertising then this game ever deserved.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Awwww. Thats a shame. I wish they could have done a little more with it, but, I guess not to be

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I can't get behind DLC for this game. I liked that the game ended with questions still up. Sometimes wanting to know the answer for everything is more fun than actually knowing.

It's a game that needs neither DLC or a sequel.