Albums That Are Good From Start To Finish:

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
Symphonic Fantasies -WDR Radio Orchestra

Seriously, it has some of the best orchestral video game arrangements I have heard in my entire life. When I know that I'm going to be traveling by car for a long amount of time, I listen to the entire soundtrack all at once, and I am enthralled the entire time. It's hard to listen to when you do not have a lot of time because of the lengths of the pieces though, since (not including the fanfare or encore,) the shortest piece is 15 minutes long.

BlueKenja

Jul 4, 2011
Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth and A Night at the Opera
Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark and Edward the Great
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Billy Talent - Billy Talent 1, 2 and Dead Silence
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade and Danger Days
Madina Lake - Attics to Eden
The Offspring - Americana, Conspiracy of One, Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace
Scott Joplin - Greatest Hits (Richard Zimmerman, obviously Joplin couldn't have release a CD)
Rammstein - Reise, Reise
Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves
Nightwish - Highest Hopes and Century Child
Ministry - Psalm 69
LostAlone - Say No to the World
Innerpartysystem - Innerpartysystem
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Escape the Fate - Escape the Fate
Celldweller - Celldweller
Backyard Babies - Stockholm Syndrome
Judas Priest - Painkiller, Screaming for Vengeance and British Steel
Less Than Jake - Anthem
Mindless Self Indulgence - You'll Rebel to Anything
Rise Against - Revolutions Per Minute
Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah
Skid Row - Skid Row
Sum 41 - All Killer No Filler
The Jam - Best OF
Tom Lehrer - Songs and More Songs
Tsunami Bomb - Ultimate Escape, The Invasion From Within, The Definitive Act
Weird Al Yankovic - Bad Hair Day, Alapalooza and Weird Al Yankovic

Sep 11, 2009
vasiD said:
Learning music theory and piano is a good way to go. In fact that is the route I'm taking, my production is just running in parallel to my Composition degree, so that way I have something to do with all the part writing I'm learning in my theory classes.
Yea, I've been talking to some of my musician friends, they told me the piano/music theory route was a good way to start.

Sep 11, 2009
TheJazzyH said:
No offense to either of you, and I love rock myself, but how can you two talk about Electronic music this much while missing my recommendation for F-777? Even after I said he got me into Electronic? I even mentioned bandcamp.com first... I feel left out. =(

But whatever, its no big deal really. F-777 has a free album here [http://jessevalentinemusic.bandcamp.com/album/free-mega-album-30-tracks]. A free EP [http://jessevalentinemusic.bandcamp.com/album/dark-angel-free-ep] as well. Although I still believe his latest, Smash it (Vol. 2) is his best yet, his free songs are a great place to start. All in all, this guy has yet to disappoint me, and at age 18, he's got a lot of time to fail me (lol).

I would also recommend French electronic artist Madeon. He's only 17, and he hasn't put out a full album out yet, but every song he's made so far is gold.

Also, his remixes tend to be just as good, if not better than the original.

Sorry! Not intentional! >.<

I didn't really care much for F-777's style, but Madeon is definitely cool!

Regarding other music acts, the DJ group C2C is really awesome.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Albums that are Consitently strong
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
The La's - The La's
Portishead - NYC
REM - Automatic For the People

Albums that are almost good the whole way through (a few trip-ups here and there)
Van Morrison - Moondance
Tricky - Maxinquaye
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
Radiohead - OK Computer
The Clash - The Clash
Janele Monae - The Archandroid
the Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Nirvana - Nevermind
The Strokes - Is this It?
Queen - A Night at the Opera
The Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Carol King - Tapestry

Albums with an awesome first side and average second side
Gil-Scott Heron - Pieces of a Man
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Manic Street Preachers - Gold Against the Soul
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Lou Reed - Transformer
The Velvet Underground and Nico - The Velvet Underground and Nico

James Swinton

Oct 17, 2011
It depends what I'm doing at the time,
When studying I like Solar fields- Random Friday.
When catching a few rounds of battlefield I like the new ZZ Top album La Futura.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I can only think of one: The Protomen's self-titled album, which is a rock opera version of the Megaman games set in a dystopian future. And it is awesome!

Here, have a listen:

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
All I can think of right now....

Pet Shop Boys - Actually
Falconer - Chapters from a Vale Forlorn

Hmmm. Second album for both.

Occams_Razor

Not as new as you may think...
Oct 20, 2012
Hold Your Colour by Pendulum is easily one of my favourite albums.

Also, on the more obscure side, Tourist History by Two Door Cinema Club is great all the way through, only if you're into the whole indie synth rock type style.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
klown said:
A Day To Remember - What Separates Me From You
This is such a guilty pleasure for me. I love love love this album and have no idea why cos I was never that much of a fan of their other stuff and other bands like that.

ItsAChiaotzu said:
The Colour Spectrum by the Dear Hunter.
Apart from the Black EP I really couldn't get into this..

Jazoni89 said:
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Just listened to this the other day for the first time and loved it. Songs like Angel and Risingson have such a grubby, gritty gorgeous atmosphere. But, I found the last part of the album weaker.

OhJohnNo said:
Faunts' High Expecations/Low Results and M4
M4 Part 2 is my favourite song of all time, god I love that song so much.
I really need to give Radiohead some more listens. Everyone says they're a grower band.

The Floating Nose said:
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
Some of the music and atmosphere on this is stunning but I found there were a lot of parts that just bored me :\

CrashBang said:
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Love this apart from the very first song.

OT:
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#&#8734;
Not only is it good from start to finish. It's absolutely fucking amazing from start to finish. Best piece of music ever recorded, period.

Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me & Daisy
TDAG is a close 2nd to F#A#&#8734;. Daisy isn't as good as a whole but I still enjoy every track (although it took a while to grow on me).

Burial - Untrue
Such insane atmosphere. The fact that he released this classic, absolutely exploding the whole of dubstep, and then went on to release music which almost topped it and arguably flows with an even better atmosphere just shows how incredible this guy is.

At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Post-hardcore classic

Slipknot - Slipknot
I actually love all their albums, but I don't particularly listen to the band much anymore

Architects - Hollow Crown
The first half is much more instant but the second half is just as potent once you get into it. Shame their two albums since haven't been anywhere near as good.

Bring Me The Horizon - Suicide Season & There Is A Hell...
Unless you count the pointless 1-minute No Need For Introductions...
There Is a Hell is also brilliant throughout, apart from the slightly weaker closer (which is still good). I get a lot of this for liking this band, haha..

Bon Iver - Bon Iver & For Emma, Forever Ago
Amazing apart from the opener, Perth, which is still good enough for me to include the album. re: Stacks is the slightly weaker song from For Emma but again, still a good song.

Gallows - Grey Britain
No weak parts to this. Shame Frank Carter left; they probably won't even be as good again

Rammstein - Mutter & Reise, Reise
Both fantastic albums. As a whole I actually prefer the latter

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
Brilliant comeback album.

Thursday - No Devolucion
Album of the decade so far

The Weeknd - House of Balloons & Echoes of Silence
This guy came as a complete surprise to me cos I'd never liked R&B before and he blew my mind. Thursday has a couple of tracks I don't particularly like though. Loft Music is probably the weakest off HoB.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Rule Britannia said:
Ed Sheeran - "+"

Seriously he writes amazing songs. :)
maaaaan you need some elliott smith in your life

Rule Britannia said:
Muse - "The Second Law"
Reaaallly?
I thought it was the worst album I'd heard this year. to each his own, I guess, but I still think the band have completely gone to shit

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
OhJohnNo said:
I really need to give Radiohead some more listens. Everyone says they're a grower band.
M4 part II is a great song, but I don't think it's the best song Faunts have ever done - actually I don't even think it's the best on that album. I prefer the other part of M4, for example:

<youtube=1B0wxjnmwOg>

And yeah, Radiohead are a hell of a grower band. About a year ago, Kid A was my least favourite album. Now, it's in my top 10.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
AnarchistFish said:
OhJohnNo said:
M4 part II is a great song, but I don't think it's the best song Faunts have ever done - actually I don't even think it's the best on that album. I prefer the other part of M4, for example:

<youtube=1B0wxjnmwOg>
I like it and I like the other songs on the EP but M4 part 2 eclipses every other song they've done. The vocals and the guitar line get me every time.

Counterwise

May 1, 2010
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
Anything by Snarky Puppy
King Crimson - In the court of King Crimson, and In the wake of posseidon
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound and Nursery Crime
Tool - Aenema
Porcupine Tree - The sky moves sideways
The Doors - The Doors
Metallica - Master of Puppets and ...and justice for all

Just some of the good stuff.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
OhJohnNo said:
AnarchistFish said:
OhJohnNo said:

<youtube=1B0wxjnmwOg>
I like it and I like the other songs on the EP but M4 part 2 eclipses every other song they've done. The vocals and the guitar line get me every time.
The guitar line is great (though faunts' vocals have never really stood out to me - not that I get the impression they're really meant to). I just think part I makes better use of it, I love the way it slowly builds up with those lovely little acoustic flourishes in the background. Also it's full of these little touches, like the sparse bass notes & cymbal taps some way through the song (Faunts are great at those).

Probably my favourite band around now, Faunts are. They've got an EP coming out on the 20th. Looking forward to it so much.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
AnarchistFish said:
OhJohnNo said:
AnarchistFish said:
OhJohnNo said:

<youtube=1B0wxjnmwOg>
The guitar line is great (though faunts' vocals have never really stood out to me - not that I get the impression they're really meant to). I just think part I makes better use of it, I love the way it slowly builds up with those lovely little acoustic flourishes in the background. Also it's full of these little touches, like the sparse bass notes & cymbal taps some way through the song (Faunts are great at those).

Probably my favourite band around now, Faunts are. They've got an EP coming out on the 20th. Looking forward to it so much.
Actually I agree, the dreamy atmosphere on part 1 is fantastic, but then again I love how the music just drifts into the chorus on part 2. I always found it interesting that whereas choruses usually signal the louder and more in-your-face part of the song, on that song the music gets softer when the chorus comes in (in the first part of the song anyway. It does build up later).

They've got a new EP coming out? I hadn't heard. I'll definitely listen to that.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
OhJohnNo said:
AnarchistFish said:
OhJohnNo said:
AnarchistFish said:
OhJohnNo said:

<youtube=1B0wxjnmwOg>

Actually I agree, the dreamy atmosphere on part 1 is fantastic, but then again I love how the music just drifts into the chorus on part 2. I always found it interesting that whereas choruses usually signal the louder and more in-your-face part of the song, on that song the music gets softer when the chorus comes in (in the first part of the song anyway. It does build up later).

They've got a new EP coming out? I hadn't heard. I'll definitely listen to that.
It's a selection of unreleased material from the era of their first album (one of my all-time favourite albums). Here's the article, with a preview track. [http://www.thefader.com/2012/10/24/stream-faunts-what-id-love-to-hear-you-say/]

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
Pearl Jam - Ten
The Black Keys - El Camino
Foo Fighters - Wasted Light
Muse - Origins of Symmetry
Radiohead - The Bends
The Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way
The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (Impressive considering its two disks)