Alcopops Tax Blocked in Australian Senate, Senator Fielding Looks A Tosser

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
This is probably slightly old news if you're in Australia, but no matter.

So just a bit earlier this week there was a bill that would impose a heavy tax on Alcopops (pre-mixed drinks) going through the Australian Federal Senate. The idea behind it was to curb binge drinking, predominantly amongst teenage girls, and ease the burden on hospitals that have to clear up the after effects.

However, Family First Senator Steven Fielding blocked the bill because he wanted alcohol advertising to be taken off air during sporting events. See, Fielding is in a unique position wherein he, along with the Greens Party and Independent Nick Xenophon hold the balance of power. While The Greens and Xenophon had already made compromises on the bill in exchange for their support, Fielding didn't get everything he wanted, and took the opportunity to throw a hissy fit [http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/18/2520085.htm].

Anyway, what does everyone else think about the bill not making it through the senate? I, personally, think it was a waste of time. If you really wanted to tackle binge drinking, you'd have to go after a lot of different types of alcohol, not one in particular. Even if it did go through, the offenders at large would just buy something else, like a bottle of Vodka or Bourbon and just mix it with Coca-Cola.

As for Fielding, The Australian's cartoonist Kudelka sums up my thoughts pretty well:

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
I work in a bottleshop so the customers will probably be really happy for once to see alcohol has become cheaper instead of increasing in price all of the time.

It was a pointless tax anyway - people just payed the extra cash and didn't care after the initial uproar.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
I think it would have been more of a positive thing if it got through.
The only real differences between a bottle of alcohol and the premixed kind is the ease of carrying, convenience of use, the price and the slightly different taste.
That's quite a bit actually but everyone knows getting a bottle is cheaper and (argueably) better then premixes unless you're going to be walking around or at a place where you simply don't have the opportunity to pour a drink.

I don't have anything against the premixes aside from the increase in price, but making them cost a little more would encourage a reduction in drinking by people who can't be bothered to pour a drink which was my understanding of the initial idea behind it.

It's not making grog more expensive, it's making you take the time to actually get your drink. It's really not that big a deal.

P.S. I hate the term "Alcopop", premix is simpler imo.

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Logan Keller said:
The really big problem is the money the already got from the tax revenue.
I found out that it's going to be donated to DrinkWise [http://www.theage.com.au/national/alcopop-refunds-to-be-donated-20090319-93fw.html], who are a health group that promotes safe drinking. Probably the best place for it really.

Varchld said:
I don't have anything against the premixes aside from the increase in price, but making them cost a little more would encourage a reduction in drinking by people who can't be bothered to pour a drink which was my understanding of the initial idea behind it.

It's not making grog more expensive, it's making you take the time to actually get your drink. It's really not that big a deal.
I can see where you're coming from, though I think that a tax would only deter a small percentage of binge drinkers. People can be pretty determined with this sort of thing.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Novajam said:
Logan Keller said:
The really big problem is the money the already got from the tax revenue.
I found out that it's going to be donated to DrinkWise [http://www.theage.com.au/national/alcopop-refunds-to-be-donated-20090319-93fw.html], who are a health group that promotes safe drinking. Probably the best place for it really.
And, if your cynical, gives the Distillers Industry moral high ground next time they have to strike a deal with the government.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
It's a shame that the government couldn't get this boost, especially since they've seemed to plunge us into deficit (either they've done it already, or it's happening in a year or so, depending on the Government's forecasts).

Though, if they really wanted to help, they should've introduced higher taxes for all alcohol, and definitely crack down on how minors are obtaining alcohol. I mean, I remember some female who was 16 or so, on national TV (face was blurred though) who said she used a fake I.D., and it was really easy to obtain the alcohol.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Binge drinking is a culture/education issue, not an issue of alcohol it's self. Let me put it like this:
If electrocuting yourself in small amounts gave a positive experience but no one was educated as to the dangerous effects and were instead told to simply not do it, what do you blame when people get hurt? The lack of education on the subject due to people just trying to sweep the issue under the carpet or do you blame the thing everyone's' using?

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
I heard that the government was going to get the support they needed if they agreed to put the money gathered by the tax and put it into rehab/ teenage help programs. The government refused (which says something about their motivation) so they didn't get their bill.

I like the fact that the government tried to affect binge drinking.. it's a serious problem not helped in the least by the fact that teenagers think there's nothing better than waking up not knowing what happened last night (a good number of people I know think). By taxing 'alco- pops' though it might have made things worse because people just started buying spirits/ heavier drinks instead so they could mix it themselves.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
I'm guessing alcopops cost less effectively than hard spirits, like it is here. Raising taxes on substances helps to price them out of kids reach. If nothing else the tax sounded like a positive if not earth shaking effort.

It's also nice to know America isn't the only place with complete and utter 'tards for politicians. Who voted over there for that freak?

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Scarecrow38 said:
I heard that the government was going to get the support they needed if they agreed to put the money gathered by the tax and put it into rehab/ teenage help programs. The government refused (which says something about their motivation) so they didn't get their bill.
Where did you here that?
stompy said:
Though, if they really wanted to help, they should've introduced higher taxes for all alcohol, and definitely crack down on how minors are obtaining alcohol. I mean, I remember some female who was 16 or so, on national TV (face was blurred though) who said she used a fake I.D., and it was really easy to obtain the alcohol.
You don't even need a fake I.D. Some places can't be bothered to check, and some places knowingly sell to minors, because hey, its still business.

Underage kids obtaining alcohol is a very complex problem, and its not something you can crack down on so to speak. Its a long term generational thing, that as far as I know has no solution anywhere in the world.
urprobablyright said:
it was a great idea - taxing alcopops would totally make all those girls go 'aw... but... no chance to get slamned by random bogan biff heads now'
Now you're just being offensive... guys like passion pops too ;)

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
Underage kids obtaining alcohol is a very complex problem, and its not something you can crack down on so to speak. Its a long term generational thing, that as far as I know has no solution anywhere in the world.
Unfortunately, I know that just cracking down on fake I.D.s won't solve the problem, but it will help. Though, when it gets as bad as teenagers appearing on TV to speak about their I.D.s, then maybe we should start cracking down on them. Oh, and if some businesses are knowingly selling to minors, then shouldn't we be targetting them as well?

The only sure-fire way to curb binge-drinking, that I know of, is to remove the cultural significance of alcohol in Australia, and that takes generations, so it's not exactly a solution we can implement now.