Alec Baldwin faces involuntary manslaughter charge over deadly “Rust” shooting

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Yeah Im not like a gun bro, I have a few .22 plinking rifles, but from what I do know, pulling the trigger is how you get a gun to fire.
Well there is admittedly some complexity and nuance, as well as situations where a gun can fire without the trigger being pulled. But generally the only way it was going to happen with a revolver was if he dropped it and it landed with enough force for the hammer to slip over or break the sear and drop on it's own.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well there is admittedly some complexity and nuance, as well as situations where a gun can fire without the trigger being pulled. But generally the only way it was going to happen with a revolver was if he dropped it and it landed with enough force for the hammer to slip over or break the sear and drop on it's own.
There is no excuse for a properly maintained weapon to malfunction in that way, though, and there is no excuse for the weapon not to be properly maintained.

(I might also add that revolvers can have accidental discharges if, say, some clueless monkey has decided to lighten the trigger enough that when cocked if can fire if wobbled enough, or if it's old and poorly maintained and slips off the cocked or half cocked notch (or their thumb slips when cocking it) and doesn't have a hammer block. No excuse for either of those conditions).

In WW2, someone had an accidental discharge with a revolver when it fell something like 30 feet onto the deck of a Liberty ship, and so they modified the design of service revolvers so even that wasn't enough anymore. 70 years ago.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
There is no excuse for a properly maintained weapon to malfunction in that way, though, and there is no excuse for the weapon not to be properly maintained.
Agreed, but if the gun had malfunctioned due to poor maintenance, that would be on the weapons handler, not Baldwin himself.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I dont know how I feel about this.
I too am ambivalent.

At one level, I think we need to accept accidents happen, including fatal ones, and it's not always worth pouring resources into finding someone to blame, especially when perhaps it's little more than satisfying some primal belief that someone should be blamed. On the other hand, it's by actively prosecuting this sort of thing that people are kept on their toes to take accident-prevention seriously and not let standards drop.

Reactions: Cicada 5

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I too am ambivalent.

At one level, I think we need to accept accidents happen, including fatal ones, and it's not always worth pouring resources into finding someone to blame, especially when perhaps it's little more than satisfying some primal belief that someone should be blamed. On the other hand, it's by actively prosecuting this sort of thing that people are kept on their toes to take accident-prevention seriously and not let standards drop.
Except that accidents like this are extremely rare on sets. So I don't think prosecution really does anything. Does feel pretty politically motivated.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I too am ambivalent.

It's very true, but the biggest stain on this is the one who was the most lax on set and had the absolute worst attitude also got off with the least punishment.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Not surprising. What a dumbass.
Geez that was quick, I was just reading that the defense had an OSHA rep testify this morning that she "had no control on set" and that the producers "forced" her into a position of not doing safety checks. Sadly, it's her responsibly. If the set isn't safe she should have refuse to continue until it was. Weird that they managed to get an OSHA rep to testify to that. That's one thing I have mixed feelings about in the modern justice system. A little too much of outside sources being allowed to testify on vague character stuff.

Not a fan of this part

Morrissey addressed Baldwin's role in the shooting during her closing argument.

"Alec Baldwin's conduct and his lack of gun safety inside that church on that day is something that he's going to have to answer for," she told the jurors. "Not with you and not today."
The feels like Prosecution basically told the jury, "hey if you convict her we will make sure Bladwins also accountable. That seems like coloring the potential verdict.

That said, it's the truth of the work place. You think it's not safe you gotta say something, even if you get fired. Its shitty but its the law. Corps will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat for accidents. It's just not a defense, especially for a somebody whos job is literally on set safety. It wasn't a good look that even Nick Cage had her fired from his film.

I was admittedly on board with giving Baldwin some slack, but this whole thing reeks of bad, cheap, dangerous production. He's gonna lose a wrongful death suit at minimum.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I was just reading that the defense had an OSHA rep testify this morning that she "had no control on set" and that the producers "forced" her into a position of not doing safety checks.
What an absolutely idiotic argument. She was not there at the pleasure of the producers; she was there to ensure compliance with the law. Any effort to keep her from doing so should have been treated as such, reported, and resulted in fines and other penalties.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Geez that was quick, I was just reading that the defense had an OSHA rep testify this morning that she "had no control on set" and that the producers "forced" her into a position of not doing safety checks. Sadly, it's her responsibly. If the set isn't safe she should have refuse to continue until it was. Weird that they managed to get an OSHA rep to testify to that. That's one thing I have mixed feelings about in the modern justice system. A little too much of outside sources being allowed to testify on vague character stuff.

Not a fan of this part

The feels like Prosecution basically told the jury, "hey if you convict her we will make sure Bladwins also accountable. That seems like coloring the potential verdict.

That said, it's the truth of the work place. You think it's not safe you gotta say something, even if you get fired. Its shitty but its the law. Corps will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat for accidents. It's just not a defense, especially for a somebody whos job is literally on set safety. It wasn't a good look that even Nick Cage had her fired from his film.

I was admittedly on board with giving Baldwin some slack, but this whole thing reeks of bad, cheap, dangerous production. He's gonna lose a wrongful death suit at minimum.
What an absolutely idiotic argument. She was not there at the pleasure of the producers; she was there to ensure compliance with the law. Any effort to keep her from doing so should have been treated as such, reported, and resulted in fines and other penalties.
Sadly she kinda was there at the pleasure of the producers, that's why I said pages (and months) ago that Baldwin is in fact partially responsible for this. Note, this in no way excuses the armorer, who is a dumbass and you are correct that she should have just said "Do it or I walk". Of course, her dad has clout but she didn't yet, they probably picked her because she was easy to bully. They also hired an assistant director who was vocal and proud for blowing off the job of checking guns (which is an AD's job) and that guy got off with probation. They fed this woman to the grinder to try and save themselves and deserve punishment too, the OSHA guy isn't entirely wrong. But yeah, she's definitely an idiot and deserves her verdict.