Alice: Madness Returns Preview

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Alice: Madness Returns Preview

You're late, you're late, for a very important date.

Read Full Article

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Ooh, ooh... I SO want this game, but me being the person I am, I want to play the first one, well, first. Shame my only option is pirating it, unless I'm willing to part with £50 because it's 'Rare'. Dunno what to do... I'm not down with all that Piracy shiz. =/

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I just have ONE question

at the end of the first Alice, she left the asylum, becoming sane...WHY IS SHE INSANE AGAIN!?!?!?

Someone, anyone, tell me!

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
KaosuHamoni said:
Ooh, ooh... I SO want this game, but me being the person I am, I want to play the first one... Well, first. Shame my only option is pirating it, unless I'm willing to part with £50 because it's 'Rare'... Dunno if I'm going to though... I'm not down with all that Piracy shiz.
You could just view a Let's Play. It's the same thing, minus the frustration of getting it to run on modern machines.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Centrophy said:
KaosuHamoni said:
Ooh, ooh... I SO want this game, but me being the person I am, I want to play the first one, well, first. Shame my only option is pirating it, unless I'm willing to part with £50 because it's 'Rare'. Dunno what to do... I'm not down with all that Piracy shiz. =/
You could just view a Let's Play. It's the same thing, minus the frustration of getting it to run on modern machines.
I know, but it looks right up my street, and I like playing things for myself, as opposed to watching someone else play it. That, and I'm about to finish God Of War 3, which means I'm going to be bored for quite a while...

[sub][sub]Zeus is a *****...[/sub][/sub]

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
zombiejoe said:
I just have ONE question

at the end of the first Alice, she left the asylum, becoming sane...WHY IS SHE INSANE AGAIN!?!?!?

Someone, anyone, tell me!
As I read it comes down this time to bring back her memory of the night her home burned down with her Parents in it, not so much insanity itself, but still a kind of an unfinished job.

And I am so defenatly gonna play it.

TheSchizoid

Oct 28, 2009
I need to play through the first one, never finished it. Too bad it doesn't run on anything before Windows 2000. I just hope DOS Box can help me. Or they need to rerelease it. But, EA loves money so a rerelase wouldn't shock me. Looks quite a bit different than the first game though. At least the Vorpal Blade stays.

"One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back."

Now comes the same dilemma I have with Deus Ex. Do I get a console version or stick with the PC?

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
It's Dante's Inferno all over again (ok, maybe not that bad, but it's still a relevant comparison). Taking classic literature and making the protagonist a sadistic juggernaut just so the gameplay will fit with contemporary tropes. I mean, I couldn't care less about the artistic integrity of Alice in Wonderland, but 1) this could have been an opportunity to bring something wildly different and imaginative (in the spirit of the theme) to the gaming world rather than dressing up the same old hack-and-slash-and-jump! in a Butron-esque, modernly cynical, dark fantasy doublet... not that I don't like the style. And 2) imagine what this says about the medium to the outside; all you have to do to make a successful premise for a game is add violence and evil overtones to an old work.

Even if the alternative wasn't as good as the game we'll get out of this, it would be the building block for a whole new genre that might one day be just as polished as the now prevalent "kill to progress" model.

...that being said, I'd probably like this game if someone bought it for me, though I wouldn't buy just because there's other games I want.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
I am so very looking forward to this game! Here is to hoping they do a re-release or HD Update for the 2000 original.

puffenstuff

Jan 31, 2008
TheSchizoid said:
Now comes the same dilemma I have with Deus Ex. Do I get a console version or stick with the PC?
That's easy. Unless it's a bad console port, and provided you have a decent computer, the PC version is always better. Reasons : Mods, Mouse + Keyboard, Better graphics.

OT: This is looking very nice. I may have to preorder, which I almost never do.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
summerof2010 said:
It's Dante's Inferno all over again (ok, maybe not that bad, but it's still a relevant comparison). Taking classic literature and making the protagonist a sadistic juggernaut just so the gameplay will fit with contemporary tropes. I mean, I couldn't care less about the artistic integrity of Alice in Wonderland, but 1) this could have been an opportunity to bring something wildly different and imaginative (in the spirit of the theme) to the gaming world rather than dressing up the same old hack-and-slash-and-jump! in a Butron-esque, modernly cynical, dark fantasy doublet... not that I don't like the style. And 2) imagine what this says about the medium to the outside; all you have to do to make a successful premise for a game is add violence and evil overtones to an old work.

Even if the alternative wasn't as good as the game we'll get out of this, it would be the building block for a whole new genre that might one day be just as polished as the now prevalent "kill to progress" model.

...that being said, I'd probably like this game if someone bought it for me, though I wouldn't buy just because there's other games I want.
>.> you do know the is the squeal to a game from 10 years ago right? and the first one was just as dark if not worse. so that rant is kinda 10 years to late, and at this point if you know of Mcgee's Alice, this is what your expecting, not happy,smiley sunshine, friendship hour

and on a more OT note:
do want this, just hope it doesn't suck

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Kitsuna10060 said:
>.> you do know the is the squeal to a game from 10 years ago right? and the first one was just as dark if not worse. so that rant is kinda 10 years to late, and at this point if you know of Mcgee's Alice, this is what your expecting, not happy,smiley sunshine, friendship hour

and on a more OT note:
do want this, just hope it doesn't suck
I realized that like right after I hit "post." And actually, I think that style is cool, I just think that Alice in Wonderland has so much more potential to fuck with your preconceptions about... well everything. That's the whole theme of the story -- not just the random, but the deliberately, methodically, perfectly insane. It was the same problem I had with the new movie. Yeah, there were the wacky elements, but overall the story, character motivations, and arcs just too... sensible. I respected how it left the theme of independent thought and embracing individuality intact, but I was disappointed....

What was I saying? Oh. Yeah, the game'll probably be good.