Alice Returns to Racoon City in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Trailer

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Alice Returns to Racoon City in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Trailer

<youtube=jbtmW3ydOkU>

The Resident Evil movie franchise promises to end where it all began in its sixth installment.

While the live-action their fair share of enjoyable moments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/resident+evil]. As such, hearing any news about the long-delayed Final Chapter is bound to be exciting. Today, the first trailer for the promised final chapter of the Resident Evil film franchise dropped.

The trailer sees Alice (Shawn Roberts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/milla+jovovich]).

According to cast lists, Jill Valentine (Retribution [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/sienna+guillory]
. It remains to be seen if these - admittedly unofficial - cast lists are correct and, if they are, how those characters will be written out of the film/franchise.

While the Resident Evil movies haven't ever been critical successes, they've certainly made money. Through five films, they've had a collective budget of $250 million and have grossed $915 million. The series began in 2002, and will be in its 15th year when The Final Chapter is released - something that not even the most optimistic of people thought would happen.

Directed and written by Paul W.S. Anderson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/paul+ws+anderson], Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is scheduled to hit theaters on January 27, 2017.

[gallery=6389]

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Damn, I love these movies. I think I'm going to watch all of the other ones all over again before this comes out.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I think I've like, watched 3 of them *wikis Resident evil*....Still got another 3 films to watch FML. #2 was bad in its cheesiness and #3 I felt like a stoner.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Thank God! As a long time Resident Evil fan, I have fucking hated this damn things. Paul W.S. Anderson is a complete hack and hasn't made a good movie for nearly two decades. The sooner he and his big fat lying mouth (he's a fan of the series, my ass) go the hell away, the better. Thankfully Capcom makes actual Resident Evil movies that are not only canon, but completely curbstomp the Hollywood trash in terms of quality. So good riddance Anderson, and I'd say I hope the door hits you in the ass on the way out, but I don't wish for people to get brain damage.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Resident Evil 1 was great I thought....and they have gotten progressively worse ever since. Until the very last one where they went balls out and stopped trying and it became good again.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Another job initiative to give his wive some work? Cause thats all these movies are... to show off his wife.

Also wasnt racoon city kinda nuked in the second resident evil movie?

So what exactly are they returning to? A smoldering radioactive crater in the middle of nowhere?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
"Promises to end..." Heheehe! That little quotey will keep me mildly entertained for a few thought processes.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Finally the long awaited climax to the modern equivalent of Odysseus's saga will come to pass.....

Seriously though I liked the 1st film, and remember finding at least one of the sequels fun enough, before the Resident Evil films completely turned into the Adventures of Super Saiyan Alice, with the actual resident evil characters from the games being the equivalent of Krillin and Yamcha.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
They are still using that Laser Hallway gimmick of the first movie?

I mean admitally it is a scary concept being trapped in a hallway to be sliced up by laser lines.

Its like a nightmare.

But stop using it it was scary the first time, it was novel in Resident Evil 4 the game and Extinction, this is just pulling the same magic trick again only this time we know how you do it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Karadalis said:
Another job initiative to give his wive some work? Cause thats all these movies are... to show off his wife.
Pre-fuggin'-cisely. It's like in his mind, the screenplay was "This is my wife. She's hot. She does awesome stuff in this movie. You want her, don't you? I bang her every night. I welcome your rage, nerds."

And when a plot point in your movie is that a virus makes all the Earth's water evaporate, you need to be kept light years away from a camera.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
They are still using that Laser Hallway gimmick of the first movie?

I mean admitally it is a scary concept being trapped in a hallway to be sliced up by laser lines.

Its like a nightmare.

But stop using it it was scary the first time, it was novel in Resident Evil 4 the game and Extinction, this is just pulling the same magic trick again only this time we know how you do it.
Since the plot sees the character return to the Hive, it makes sense for them to go through the various areas it features, which includes the laser room.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
The first movie was the only good one.
The first and second one because both movies were the more faithful and were made when RE was still Survival Horror.

The 3rd one is when everything went wrong.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
none of them any good. not even the first one. besides some good scenes like the laser hallway and some good looking zombies, thats was it. the last one had at least a creative beginning with a very good music that i still like listening to.
but at least this all comes to an end. maybe this one may get back some horror. but i doubt that.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
"This Film Is Not Yet Rated"

So there is very little hope that it is PG-13 & that I will skip it!
Why?
Because I saw Deadpool! Therefore I don't care for PG-13 Movies anymore.
On the other hand if it is Rated R it wouldn't kill me to watch it.
After all it can't be worse than Splice, AVPR, or Prometheus.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Karadalis said:

Also wasnt racoon city kinda nuked in the second resident evil movie?

So what exactly are they returning to? A smoldering radioactive crater in the middle of nowhere?
Yeah it was nuked. But Alice has the powers of Mary Sue, so she'll be immune. So now she'll be fighting radioactive zombies, and Bethesda may sue.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Did I miss a movie? I thought they were at DC with Wesker, who gave Alice back her powers even though he previously took them away, and surrounded by a horde of monsters. Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time the series has wasted a good premise in the first ten minutes of the sequel. (Looking at you army of Alice's who all got taken out like mooks)

Not gonna lie, these are popcorn, turn off my brain and watch movies for me. How it constantly wastes fan favorite characters does get on my nerves. I may watch this with friends.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Saltyk said:
Did I miss a movie? I thought they were at DC with Wesker, who gave Alice back her powers even though he previously took them away, and surrounded by a horde of monsters.
There's a part in the trailer where Wesker says "I should've killed you in Washington," so I presume we'll find out that their truce didn't exactly last a long time.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
General ramblings based on above posts:

-First film was pretty decent - it didn't feature any characters from the games, but it was clearly using RE1 as an inspiration point, and captured the feeling of survival horror. Second film less so, as we have the start of 'super Alice,' and consequent shafting of actual game characters (Carlos, Jill, etc.). Still, it had a clear frame of reference to RE3, so it still at least functioned. Third film was passable, but it's at this point that we abandon any frame of reference to the games, and have a scenario where the film doesn't even operate on its own rules (the T-virus can cause water to evaporate and is apparently airborne indefinately, but humans can walk around unprotected)? Not a good film, but still passable...just about. But it's the point where the film series jumped the shark as an adaptation, and in the scope of its own continuity.

Haven't seen film 4, but film 5 is utter garbage. Pure, unadulterated garbage. Nothing more to say than that. Maybe film 4 is where the series entered that territory, maybe film 3, but either way, I'm happy to let this series end. It isn't the worst thing ever produced, not the most baffling in terms of longevity (looking at the MCU for instance), but it's nothing to write home about.

-So, this film...well, I'm left to wonder about lingering radiation in Raccoon City, what Issaac's motivations are, or Wesker's, or...okay, what IS Umbrella's motivation at this point? I know the Red Queen is kind of controlling Umbrella goons because she hates humanity now, but...what? I mean, okay, Spencer's plan in the games was "I want to be a god" basically, and Wesker's "social Darwinism, now!" plan was cliche, but had at least had Wesker be built up as a character prior to it, but Christ, this is insane even by the film's standards. And this is a series that began with the premise of a laser hallway that allows intruders some time to escape/dodge the beams before gutting them.

-As a final point, this series feels...well, 'old.' I mean, nowadays, we have stuff like the Walking Dead (both TV and games), that demonstrate that you can have good characters and good writing in a zombie story. Heck, Romero's early Living Dead films showed that (though only seen Night of the Living Dead myself). There's also that even if we take the series in isolation, judging it by its own thing, that Alice just isn't interesting. We know practically nothing about her bar what the novelizations have given us (which, God bless 'em, try their best to fill in the blanks). Five films in and she hasn't developed as a character across those five films. Her one defining trait is "badass," and it's the type of badass that makes everyone around her feel redundant.

-But if I had to give the film credit, returning to the Hive, where it all began? That at least has some promise.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Another adventure with one of the handful of characters that make Rey look like a well rounded character. Joy. Wonder which character from the games she'll be making completely freaking redundant this time? Perhaps it'll be Wesker's broken condom bastard son, Jake. Heaven knows not even references to RE5 can make these movies suck more.