Alice Through the Looking Glass - Don't Waste Our Time

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Alice Through the Looking Glass - Don't Waste Our Time

Alice Through the Looking Glass is worse than the first one, which is no small feat.

Read Full Article

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I love Alice in Wonderland, Burton leave it the fuck alone you don't get it at all!

K12

Dec 28, 2012
lacktheknack said:
K12 said:
I love Alice in Wonderland, Burton leave it the fuck alone you don't get it at all!
Burton didn't touch this one, I don't think.
He was the producer so maybe he didn't have as much creative control as the first one but still they had to follow the tone, style etc that he started which made this film a stillborn wreck.

He seems to always get given the credit for Nightmare before Christmas despite not writing the screenplay or directing it so I feel perfectly happy blaming him for this shit.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
I've only fallen asleep once whilst watching a movie in the cinema and that was during the first Alice in Wonderland movie, also I thought the first Alice in Wonderland movie was kind of the through the looking glass version of the story anyway?.

By the way the sort of dark theme they've got going on just doesn't suit at all, it's Burton and Depp to a T but it instantly takes away a lot from the movie.

Never mind Helena bonham carter who's just atrocious.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Marter said:
The other big theme is how you shouldn't waste any of the precious time you're given in life, which sounds good on paper until you realize you just sat through two hours of a terribly boring movie.
Bwahahahaha awesome. XD Hmm, the time I spent reading this review was reasonably entertaining and might even prevent me from wasting more time, so does it count as precious time well spent or not?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Well, atleast I'm now very sure that I don't have to bother with this movie. I liked the first one but its nothing special, so hearing that the sequel is half assed at best.... yeah...

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
I wouldn?t even watch this one on video, on a boring afternoon.
In my eyes, the first one was the dullest movie, Burton ever made.
The peak, of his "style over substance" obsession and I can?t stand Johnny Depp making a fool out of himself,
in yet another role.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
I thought the first one was alright, except for Johnny Depp who sucked the fun out of every scene he was even remotely connected to. Good to know that he's the focal point of the sequel, that means I'll save $15. Pass.

Hopefully this series will tank and we can get an American McGee's Alice film someday instead.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
I am of those few who actually liked the first one while also loving the books, but I am wondering how could they fail THAT MISERABLY in sequel.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
K12 said:
lacktheknack said:
K12 said:
Burton didn't touch this one, I don't think.
He was the producer so maybe he didn't have as much creative control as the first one but still they had to follow the tone, style etc that he started which made this film a stillborn wreck.

He seems to always get given the credit for Nightmare before Christmas despite not writing the screenplay or directing it so I feel perfectly happy blaming him for this shit.
the thing about Nightmare Before Christmas is that it's an original idea created by Burton. he might not have directed the movie or whatever, but the designs are his and so is the story (which he came up with in 1982 as a poem).

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Oh, look. The movie I knew wasn't gonna be very good ended up not being very good.

American McGee's Alice games are more Tim Burton-y than these movies. Then again, I think Alice in Wonderland stuff is so over-saturated nowadays anyway so what else is new. Hooray, I was right for once so now I REALLY don't need to waste my time on this movie!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I watched this and X-Men Apocalypse as a double feature tonight. X-Men was good, not Avengers good, but still a perfectly serviceable comic book movie. An in-joke about halfway through gave me a chuckle - if you've seen the movie, you know the one, and Singer finally gave us the Jean Grey I've wanted to see since X2. Wolverine's in the movie but only for a few moments so this is far from being his movie like so many other X flicks are accused of being.

Alice Through the Looking Glass was a kaleidoscope of 3D-rendered environments mashed together with psychedelic set pieces. Time's realm looks like one of the cathedral sections of Diablo 3, if Diablo 3 were a movie. If you liked the last Alice movie, which I did somewhat, you'll enjoy this one. Between the two, I liked the first better but this one has its charms. There's a specific scene with Time and Alice that looked straight out of Doctor Who - the Doctor's Wife, minus the redistributed ood.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
This reminds me of that 'Cats & Dogs' sequel we got a few years back.

The first one, made in 2001 and did rather well.
It was also, fairly decent.

The sequel came out in 2010.
A freaking DECADE later and sucked.

And yet, here I am, still waiting for a freaking Hellboy 3...but this shit gets made?
:/

Cati

😏
Sep 4, 2014
Avoided the first one 'cause I figured it would be a lazy merging of the two books. Guess I'll be sticking to the books regardless now...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...out of interest, when was the last time Burton and Depp made a great film, or even a good one?

Definitely they used to, but not so much nowdays it seems.

Spider RedNight said:
American McGee's Alice games are more Tim Burton-y than these movies.
Oh, currently replaying that one.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Thaluikhain said:
Hmmm...out of interest, when was the last time Burton and Depp made a great film, or even a good one?
In my limited scope of experience, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (a good movie, but not as good as the first) & James and the Giant Peach respectively (counting Burton's role as producer)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Politrukk said:
I've only fallen asleep once whilst watching a movie in the cinema and that was during the first Alice in Wonderland movie, also I thought the first Alice in Wonderland movie was kind of the through the looking glass version of the story anyway?.

By the way the sort of dark theme they've got going on just doesn't suit at all, it's Burton and Depp to a T but it instantly takes away a lot from the movie.

Never mind Helena bonham carter who's just atrocious.
Well, they did take many characters in the first flick from Alice Through the Looking Glass. The Red Queen, The White Queen, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the misnamed Jabberwocky[footnote]In the book, that's the name of the poem. The actual creature is called the Jabberwock.[/footnote] and the Bandersnatch. But the plot was still based on Alice in Wonderland. Loosely. Extremely loosely.

It's kinda funny how, to the best of my knowledge, there's never been a pure Looking Glass movie. They either mix the two books, or just use Wonderland.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Thaluikhain said:
Depp was in Black Mass last year. Burton directed Frankenweenie in 2012. The last good film they made together was Corpse Bride in 2005.