Alien Prequel Is Neither an Alien Movie Nor a Prequel

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Alien Prequel Is Neither an Alien Movie Nor a Prequel

The upcoming Alien prequel isn't a prequel any longer, and won't even be an Alien movie, but will still be related to Alien, somehow.

First Ridley Scott was going to direct a prequel to the 1979 film Alien [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105973-Ridley-Scotts-Alien-Prequel-is-Going-to-Be-Paradise-UPDATE], called Paradise, and it had a rumored cast. Then everything we knew about the movie was a rumor, except for the fact that it was an Alien prequel directed by Scott. Now, well, we still have Scott. Twentieth Century Fox has announced that the movie, called Prometheus, will be a stand-alone film, independent from the Alien franchise, and may or may not actually feature aliens.

Scott acknowledges that the project began with Alien, but has since become an original story in a different universe. Even so, Deadline quotes the director as hinting, "The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA." According to the same source, Damon Lindelof (Lost, Star Trek), who has been working with Scott on the story, says "in a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots, I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects." As they said we should expect an Alien prequel, they're right on target so far, but the promise of a new universe and mythology is an exciting development.

Fox announced that Prometheus is scheduled for release on March 9, 2012. Swedish actress Noomi Rapace (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the upcoming Sherlock Holmes sequel) has officially signed to star in the film, and actresses such as Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron are rumored to be in contention for another lead role. Far from not believing rumors, I won't believe anything about this one until I'm actually watching it in the theater.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/ridley-scott-directing-prometheus-for-fox-noomi-rapace-locked-while-angelina-jolie-and-charlize-theron-circling-2nd-female-lead/]

Jul 22, 2009
I like the sound of this.

My Alien Quadrilogy is all the Alien I really need, adding a prequel to that would be risky IMO...

But this sounds interesting :D I'll put this on my 'watch if I ever go to the cinema again' list.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I liked the idea of a prequel...and they go and ruin that dream.

Oh well. Can't say that until I've actually seen it, right?

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Ofcourse the makers say its great and yes the legend himself (Ridley Scott) is working on this. But I will keep my hopes low untill I see it. To avoid huge dissapointments like both AVP movies.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Hmm, so it's completely original, in another Universe and isn't an Alien film. But we'll still see some resemblance with Alien and it is 'strikingly' original. So it's set in space but there aren't beefy marines that want to shoot everything, criminals, weird sex with aliens or people in wheelchairs? Ooooooor...it's full of people in wheelchairs, is set on Earth, has no aliens whatsoever and everyone is still alive at the end? Maybe it's just two hours of Bishop playing cards?

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
So they want the brand recognition of an Aliens prequel along with the artistic cred of a original story? Clever. And kinda lame. But still clever.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
*shrugs*

Let's see where this goes. Wasn't really sure if I liked the idea of an Alien prequel or not anyway.

earok

Jan 18, 2011
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Although this is certainly a coincidence, a space ship named 'Prometheus' is the setting of EA's C64 survival horror game Project Firestart.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I heard that H.R. Giger is onboard aswell.

...Wasn't one of his paintings titled Prometheus?

no space

Dec 30, 2010
Anyone else think the "strands of Alien's DNA" we'll see will just be a little chest-burster in a jar of alcohol or something as an easter egg? Anyway, here's hoping it'll live up to expectations.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I was cool with an Alien prequel and I'm cool with there no longer being one. I love sci-fi horror but I've never been a big fan of the Alien series. Blasphemy, I know.

Still this flick is sounding good. Ridley Scott is usually good for a damn good film. I'll have to reserve judgement on Ms. Rapace until I watch the Millenium trilogy, but word is she's a damn good actress.

It all sounds good to me.

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
GamesB2 said:
My Alien Quadrilogy is all the Alien I really need, adding a prequel to that would be risky IMO...
I'm with you on that part. However if this turns out to be like some alt. universe with an different series of events (like the new Star Trek movie) then I will tenetively say go for it. Because if it sucks, then die-hards like me can say its not part of the real "Alien" continuity.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
I was really hoping for Ridley to do Alien again. I wonder if he is still keeping Giger around to work on stuff for this new project, since he had him already working on the Alien prequel art. Regardless, I'll watch whatever Ridley films.