Aliens: Colonial Marines Mistakes You For a Man

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'm sorry, but I still get a good laugh at anyone thinks that this game is every going to be released. Seriously, it has literally almost reached Duke Nukem: Forever levels of being delayed. Think we're up to a full decade on this game now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Aliens universe and I've been looking forward to this game for a very...VERY long time. But when push comes to shove, something ALWAYS happens that pushes it back. Hell, wasn't it supposed to be out twice already this summer? Now it's coming out next year?

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Realitycrash said:
Andy Chalk said:
WHERE'S WIERZBOWSKI?

Anyway, it's hardly an attempt to stir up trouble, and the whole "made before the controversy" thing doesn't hold water because according to Pitchford - as I said in the post - Gearbox had been planning to include female characters anyway. And does it really take that long for a major game studio to whip up a single skin?

It's a simple fact: Drake is cool but Vasquez is far and away the "dominant" gunner in Aliens, and her omission from the "movie character pack" is glaring.
Remind me again; Who was Werzbowski?
A no dialogue marine who dies off camera.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2008/04/15/ocd-aliens-pvt-wierzbowski

OT: The lack of Vasquez makes me sad, far and away the best character in the movie and it seems odd that she wasn't included in the pack's advertising.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
RJ 17 said:
I'm sorry, but I still get a good laugh at anyone thinks that this game is every going to be released. Seriously, it has literally almost reached Duke Nukem: Forever levels of being delayed. Think we're up to a full decade on this game now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Aliens universe and I've been looking forward to this game for a very...VERY long time. But when push comes to shove, something ALWAYS happens that pushes it back. Hell, wasn't it supposed to be out twice already this summer? Now it's coming out next year?
A game of the same name was being worked on a decade ago and was then cancelled. Sega picked up the rights between then and 2008, and in 2008 Gearbox announced they were developing this. Different game, same name. Sega owned the name at that point, might as well use it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Woodsey said:
RJ 17 said:

A game of the same name was being worked on a decade ago and was then cancelled. Sega picked up the rights between then and 2008, and in 2008 Gearbox announced they were developing this. Different game, same name. Sega owned the name at that point, might as well use it.
.......yeah, so I've been waiting for this game for over a decade. Thanks for reaffirming that. The fact that it wan't in developement for a portion of that decade doesn't change the fact that I've been waiting for it since it was originally announced. Again, I point to the example set by Duke Nukem: Forever. How many times was DNF dropped and picked up by another company? How many changes did the game go through during that process?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Woodsey said:
RJ 17 said:

.......yeah, so I've been waiting for this game for over a decade. Thanks for reaffirming that. The fact that it wan't in developement for a portion of that decade doesn't change the fact that I've been waiting for it since it was originally announced. Again, I point to the example set by Duke Nukem: Forever. How many times was DNF dropped and picked up by another company? How many changes did the game go through during that process?
DNF was stitched together from the disparate stages of its development. This just has the same name as a dead project, it seems.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Woodsey said:
RJ 17 said:
Woodsey said:
RJ 17 said:

DNF was stitched together from the disparate stages of its development. This just has the same name as a dead project, it seems.
You're failing to see the point. Just as DNF was the next game in it's series, this is "The next Aliens game"...which I've been waiting for since it was first announced a decade ago. If you can't grasp that, then I'm afraid this is as far as this conversation will get.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Woodsey said:
RJ 17 said:
Woodsey said:
RJ 17 said:

You're failing to see the point. Just as DNF was the next game in it's series, this is "The next Aliens game"...which I've been waiting for since it was first announced a decade ago. If you can't grasp that, then I'm afraid this is as far as this conversation will get.
There's a difference between that and acting as if this specific game has been stuck in developmental limbo for a decade, as happened to DNF.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Not in the trailer DOES NOT MEAN not in the game. Jesus christ, must people stir up shitstorms like this? This article seems hardly professional and utterly sensationalist. For all we know, the female characters may just be standard characters anyone can play from the get-go or DLC as others have said.
When did it reach the point that no boobs in a trailer is because of some sexist agenda? Why is it that boobs in a trailer is because of some sexist agenda? Why don't we all just stop making fucking games then? We clearly all fucking lose either way. It's beyond retarded at this point. Yes, I am pretty mad.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
And does it really take that long for a major game studio to whip up a single skin?
Nope, just have to go through a fair few amount of different skin designs.

Of course then model, bring in voice actors, bring in actors for animation, re-code the character, come up with character specific weapons, etc.

rbstewart7263 said:
There just holding out till later. That's just good business.:/ wait sorry hold on,THE SEXZISM IT MA GURDD! was that the reaction you were lookin for?
Also this.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
VanQQisH said:
Not in the trailer DOES NOT MEAN not in the game. Jesus christ, must people stir up shitstorms like this? This article seems hardly professional and utterly sensationalist. For all we know, the female characters may just be standard characters anyone can play from the get-go or DLC as others have said.
When did it reach the point that no boobs in a trailer is because of some sexist agenda? Why is it that boobs in a trailer is because of some sexist agenda? Why don't we all just stop making fucking games then? We clearly all fucking lose either way. It's beyond retarded at this point. Yes, I am pretty mad.
The trailer is very clearly is very clearly for a "movie character" pack. Gearbox makes multiplayer skins featuring "legends" from the movie, but they opt for Drake instead of Vasquez and Apone instead of Ripley, and you don't find that at all odd?

Have you ever actually seen Aliens?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The trailer is very clearly is very clearly for a "movie character" pack. Gearbox makes multiplayer skins featuring "legends" from the movie, but they opt for Drake instead of Vasquez and Apone instead of Ripley, and you don't find that at all odd?

Have you ever actually seen Aliens?
Of course I've seen Aliens. In fact, the first time I ever watched it is still one of my most vivid "Oh shit" moments from childhood. But I'll spoiler that below since it's somewhat off topic. I would really love to play Ripley more than anywone, to be honest. Ripley was truly one of my childhood heroes. I still love the final battle between Ripley and the Queen in the mech-suit in Aliens and would love to see that scene played out in a game.
My problem isn't with the game or the pre-order bonus, my issue was how the article was written. Sure it was silly not to include at least one girl in there, what with the current climate that Gearbox is more than well aware of but this article is pretty much prying open the gender wars box.

I was around 12 when my dad decided it was about time I watched some real movies because he thought my watching Pokemon over and over was a bad thing. So late at night with all the lights off, he popped in the VHS for Alien and Aliens after that. Frankly, I was pretty much paralyzed for both of the movies but still loved the shit out of them. After they ended and the lights came on, I noticed a scaly feeling and a hissing sound from my lap.

Yeah, I had been sitting on the floor near the open back door because it was summer and it was comfy. One of those buggers decided to let himself in and have a nap in my lap. Needless to say, I dropped a brick at terminal velocity. I jumped up so fast it flew forward and hit the wall and my dad actually managed to catch the angry bugger in an esky like a boss and take him back to the bushes.
I'm sure you can forgive my 12 year old self who had an over-active imagination for looking down and seeing a chest burster cuddling up to his lap. I will never forget that image.

CentralScrtnzr

May 2, 2011
Does the developer have the rights to Sigourney Weaver's likeness?

The answer to these questions might be totally innocuous.

Swarmcrow

Dec 11, 2008
well, Ripley wasn't a colonial marine ,but I agree, Vasquez should be part of the pre order extra multilayer characters

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Scorched_Cascade said:
Realitycrash said:
Andy Chalk said:
WHERE'S WIERZBOWSKI?

Anyway, it's hardly an attempt to stir up trouble, and the whole "made before the controversy" thing doesn't hold water because according to Pitchford - as I said in the post - Gearbox had been planning to include female characters anyway. And does it really take that long for a major game studio to whip up a single skin?

It's a simple fact: Drake is cool but Vasquez is far and away the "dominant" gunner in Aliens, and her omission from the "movie character pack" is glaring.
A no dialogue marine who dies off camera.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2008/04/15/ocd-aliens-pvt-wierzbowski

OT: The lack of Vasquez makes me sad, far and away the best character in the movie and it seems odd that she wasn't included in the pack's advertising.
Nooo, BISHOP is the best character. But I guess no one wanted to play the "crawl down a maintenance pipe for 45 minutes" level. Maybe it'll be in a DLC.

That said, they really dropped the ball on this one. I can't imagine what idiot thought it would be a good idea to omit women. What a complete ham-fisted sack of soggy dicks.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
I'm sure they will make an appearance in one way or another. Perhaps characters from the movies are already available and these are bonus ones?

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Realitycrash said:
Andy Chalk said:
WHERE'S WIERZBOWSKI?

Jesus Christ Monkey Balls.
It's using just the IP, it's NOT recreating the Aliens movie. Should it also include the cat? The cat featured so heavily in the first film that it would be a glaring omission to exclude the feline.

COLONIAL MARINES! Ripley was not a marine.
Sure, it would be nice to have Vasquez in there, but it's hardly a game breaker now is it?
I can't believe you people are getting so anal about a damn skin. Mod it in yourself if it's so disgusting to play a game with only men in.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I think people are blowing this waaaaay out of proportion and getting their panties in a bunch over nothing. Should Vasquez been included......yes. It is some sort on travesty that she isn't......no. Do I think less of the game or its developers.....certainly not. Now if you'll excuse me....I must go fire up Aliens on Blu-Ray.