Aliens: Colonial Marines Mistakes You For a Man

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
VanQQisH said:
My problem isn't with the game or the pre-order bonus, my issue was how the article was written. Sure it was silly not to include at least one girl in there, what with the current climate that Gearbox is more than well aware of but this article is pretty much prying open the gender wars box.
I don't think you can really discuss this particular (and rather unique) situation without gender factoring into it, but that doesn't mean I'm fanning the flames of some "gender war." It's a perfectly valid question: why does a videogame based on a movie that went to such great lengths to equalize men and women not have a single, semi-high-profile female marine skin? I'm not screaming for Pitchford's head on a platter, I'm not calling for a boycott of Gearbox and I have no time for people who do - but it's a legitimate question.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I don't think you can really discuss this particular (and rather unique) situation without gender factoring into it, but that doesn't mean I'm fanning the flames of some "gender war." It's a perfectly valid question: why does a videogame based on a movie that went to such great lengths to equalize men and women not have a single, semi-high-profile female marine skin? I'm not screaming for Pitchford's head on a platter, I'm not calling for a boycott of Gearbox and I have no time for people who do - but it's a legitimate question.
You're right and I definitely over reacted in my original post. But my original point still stands that just because they aren't in the trailer it doesn't confirm their non-existence in the game. I thought that Gearbox already said they were going to include female skins, so for all we know they could just be standard characters in the game and have no place in this particular ad. If after the game comes out and there's not a single worthwhile female marine, I'll probably be right alongside you asking "what the hell were they thinking?" But at this point, I don't think it's too much to worry about.
And I'll add that the only game I've ever chosen to boycott was Diablo 3 after I had the chance to (attempt) to play it on my brother's computer, but that's beside the point. I expect that Ripley or not, I'll buy this game regardless. Because I'm just a sucker for those cute and cuddly Xenomorphs.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Maybe there's some sort of licensing issue here. It was probably expensive to include the well known female characters, or something.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Lol ripleys flamethrower, wasn't it just one of many on the dropship that she just randomly grabbed?

Guess when protagonist or important person uses an item, they leave a mark of themselves on it forever. Legendary item: Ripley's flamthrower, x2 damage to alien queens and +50% armor penetration.

Otherwise regarding DLC marines, would have been nice to have whole marine crew in 1 form or other, less it seem weird that some less notable members are included whereas more prominent ones are not. Main 3 marines from aliens were Hudson, Hicks and Vasquez after all, followed by Gorman and Apone I guess . Drake looks badass but was one of those that died in the first 20 mins along with most of the squad.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Ripley is awesome and all but surely on account of her being such a badass and surviving a molten lead facial and being half alien she would be un-fucking-killable?

Also women don't have beards and beards are awesome and you need to be awesome to kill aliens...

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
How are these people legends? Most of them died within the first couple of hours.

There's a word for people like that, but I don't think it's "legends".

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Frankster said:
Lol ripleys flamethrower, wasn't it just one of many on the dropship that she just randomly grabbed?

Guess when protagonist or important person uses an item, they leave a mark of themselves on it forever. Legendary item: Ripley's flamthrower, x2 damage to alien queens and +50% armor penetration.
I LOL'd.

If you really want to get technical, that...weapon she made was a hybrid flamethrower/pulse rifle and motion tracker all-in-one. Not to mention she ditched the damn thing on the landing platform when she realized she had no ammo left.

That said, it's just a game. I don't expect them to be 100% faithful to the film (although I know they're trying their best).

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Oh look an attempt to make another thread about sexism in video games. It seems like you guys are just fishing for controversy already. I mean, how do we know you can't play as any of the lead females but they aren't just "pre-order DLC exclusives." This is speculation at its worst.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Only possible excuse for leaving Ripley out in my mind could be that she's not a marine. That said: Gearbox, put Ripley in the game, ya boner.