Aliens Colonial Marines playable female marine petition

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Nouw said:
squid5580 said:
Why? What difference does it make on the chest size of a MP avatar? You are asking them to change a lot for an aesthetic purpose. And before the tired ME3 and TF2 arguement comes in again lets face the facts. TF2 compensates the differing hitboxes with differing hitpoints to compensate. And ME3 doesn't have hitboxes that matter to the player since it is player vs AI. Let the canon rest easy where it belongs in the SP. So the MP isn't affected by hits not registering because I hit a breast that doesn't exist in the computer's eye.

Abnfd just because every movie had at least 1 female marine facing them doesn't mean every team had the tokin chick. There is your canon.
From the game modes so far, the hitbox really shouldn't be an issue because human vs human game modes haven't been announced. Unless you're being a dick and killing your own team mates, there should be no reason as to why you're shooting a marine. When you're playing as an alien, the only thing that should really matter is height/mass because you're using melee/assassination attacks. With melee, you're far less likely to miss because of a breast. You're either within range of hitting them or you're not. Females won't be any taller or larger than a male so hitboxes shouldn't be an issue. If the alien had a ranged attack like the marines do, that could be an issue but for now it's melee. In all my hours of playing Halo:Reach, hitboxes has never been an issue, despite massive armour, when melee'ing.

Yes, there isn't an 'X number of X genders' in each squad but that doesn't invalidate the ones that do exist. If someone wants to play as a female marine, let them play as a female marine. It's not that big a deal.
Of course it isn't a big deal when you aren't the one developing it

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
squid5580 said:
Nouw said:
squid5580 said:
Why? What difference does it make on the chest size of a MP avatar? You are asking them to change a lot for an aesthetic purpose. And before the tired ME3 and TF2 arguement comes in again lets face the facts. TF2 compensates the differing hitboxes with differing hitpoints to compensate. And ME3 doesn't have hitboxes that matter to the player since it is player vs AI. Let the canon rest easy where it belongs in the SP. So the MP isn't affected by hits not registering because I hit a breast that doesn't exist in the computer's eye.

Abnfd just because every movie had at least 1 female marine facing them doesn't mean every team had the tokin chick. There is your canon.
From the game modes so far, the hitbox really shouldn't be an issue because human vs human game modes haven't been announced. Unless you're being a dick and killing your own team mates, there should be no reason as to why you're shooting a marine. When you're playing as an alien, the only thing that should really matter is height/mass because you're using melee/assassination attacks. With melee, you're far less likely to miss because of a breast. You're either within range of hitting them or you're not. Females won't be any taller or larger than a male so hitboxes shouldn't be an issue. If the alien had a ranged attack like the marines do, that could be an issue but for now it's melee. In all my hours of playing Halo:Reach, hitboxes has never been an issue, despite massive armour, when melee'ing.

Yes, there isn't an 'X number of X genders' in each squad but that doesn't invalidate the ones that do exist. If someone wants to play as a female marine, let them play as a female marine. It's not that big a deal.
Of course it isn't a big deal when you aren't the one developing it
Yes it isn't a big deal for me, I will give you that. But the least Gearbox could do is give us some kind of reply that is more than an ambiguous tweet. If Gearbox doesn't have the time and resources to spare to put in playable female marines in the Multiplayer, that is absolutely fine with me. I'd rather have them polish the game. However, if they did have time and resources to spare it would be much appreciated. I wouldn't mind if it was a DLC either and maybe that can be a resolution for now.

TConti

Sep 21, 2009
Did no one go to the games website? there's a picture of a female marine under one of the pre-order bonuses.

http://www.sega.com/alienscolonialmarines/

Its unknown if they will be in single player but its assumable that they will since the game has drop in drop out co-op.

The pictures has been up for a while, its not a new thing.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Eh. I dislike the petition. I don't care what genders are in something and going out of your way to request a certain sex be present is a form of sexism I can't get behind.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
TConti said:
Did no one go to the games website? there's a picture of a female marine under one of the pre-order bonuses.

http://www.sega.com/alienscolonialmarines/

Its unknown if they will be in single player but its assumable that they will since the game has drop in drop out co-op.

The pictures has been up for a while, its not a new thing.
They will be playable in Co-Op but for now it is unknown if they will be playable in MP. The customization also hasn't been confirmed for MP or Co-Op.

Paladin Anderson

Nov 21, 2011
ThePenguinKnight said:
I honestly can't imagine Aliens without a strong female marine being involved.
This is my first time hearing about this game, but yeah, the movies were all about women kicking alien ass. Why on earth would you exclude that from the multiplayer?

Para

Jun 30, 2012
I couldn't get through most of the drab on this thread. As a female gamer I find it rather offensive they wouldn't include Pvt. Vasquez as she was a memorable character and you know I am spending money on this game too. And I'm not the only one. I always identify in video games with the female toons, So why should this game be an exception? I could possibly understand cutting our Pfc. Dietrich and Cpl. Ferro as they did not have as many speaking lines as Pvt. Vasquez but to deny female gamers as a whole an option to play a female in the multi player is down right bullshit.

I keep reading the arguments on the hit boxes; just stop seriously. If you had actually watched the movie Pvt. Drake was actually rather small. And if you watch the movie (I have the special edition so times may vary) but at 29:47 Vasquez and Drake are at the pull up bar Drakes shirt is off and you can clearly see Vasquez has more muscle definition so F(*^* your hitbox argument.

And as far as the "I don't see why this is necessary" crap; It is. The whole movie is based from Ripley's perspective (and shes like you know A WOMAN) so what right do you have saying it isn't.

"There are 2 reasons it matters. The first being that Alien has always focused around strong female characters. Males often played secondary roles or the villains. The other reason is because this is an opportunity to advance gender equality in the medium. Video games have had a troubled past when it comes to gender equality and its time we evolved as our medium takes its steps into becoming truly mainstream" -Windcaller.

Yeah I spend money on these games too and I am actually taking complaint up with my friends about having to buy Gold Edition of Killing Floor to get a female skin. I spend the money on these games so I'd like the option to play my gender. I honestly don't know why anyone anywhere would object to having them in the game. Are you worried me and my female skin are going to beat you and your score back into the basement from whence you came?

"I get the feeling it has something to do with server space. With the extra storage space needed for the meshes, textures, realistic female movement animations ETC. I don't think they chose to do it out of a hatred of female chars (like everyone says in these situations) given that they made female chars for the single player but instead I think it may be more to do with budgeting for server space and bandwidth necessary for multilayer." -Trekkie

I'd like some actual proof of this. You seriously can't tell me the budgeting for pixel tits takes UP TOOO MUCH SERVER SPACE AUUUUGHHHH.

"On a side note, how is a game about punching Aliens in the face and being badness a good opportunity for gender equality? Also game has four player co-op for the main mission with one character being female. Additionally, really." -Nile Mcmarrow

Seriously dude screw you. who are you to say I don't get the option to beat in the Aliens in the face in ANY GAME MODE. I'd like one good reason why there shouldn't be at least ONE female in the multi player. And it's good for gender equality because it helps break that damsel in distress way of thinking.

Sorry for the long rant but there is just no reason at all they shouldn't have one. AND I MEAN AT ALL. And as far as I am concerned if they choose not to put one in I, and everyone I tell about this will boycott this game until there is one put in.

Tumblr here I come.

(and also sorry about the poor grammar and such I'm angry as hell about this)

Edit:
My steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/paraplegicballerina
Our group profile: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TheColonialMarines

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Para said:
If I had the schooling I'd release a game with nothing but female character and you know what teh offended menz would be up my ass about not having any male playable characters.
http://www.giantbomb.com/female-protagonists/92-2287/games/

Yeah, funnily enough men haven't really complained about these games. You're making females look bad, if you're going to argue against people being sexist, do it in a civil manner. I'm tired of being on the side of female gamers only to have the occasional stupid remark fuck it up for everyone else.

Para

Jun 30, 2012
dogstile said:
Para said:
If I had the schooling I'd release a game with nothing but female character and you know what teh offended menz would be up my ass about not having any male playable characters.

Yeah, funnily enough men haven't really complained about these games. You're making females look bad, if you're going to argue against people being sexist, do it in a civil manner. I'm tired of being on the side of female gamers only to have the occasional stupid remark fuck it up for everyone else.
Oh how am I making female gamers look bad? Because I stated my opinion on the matter? I just don't see how it's fair for a legion of men to either 1 not care or find it unnecessary to include women in games or 2 take a misogynistic view on it.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Para said:
dogstile said:
Para said:

Oh how am I making female gamers look bad? Because I stated my opinion on the matter? I just don't see how it's fair for a legion of men to either 1 not care or find it unnecessary to include women in games or 2 take a misogynistic view on it.
And that is completely fine. But when you get to saying silly statements like "If I had the schooling I'd release a game with nothing but female character and you know what teh offended menz would be up my ass about not having any male playable characters." you devalue your argument because you've resorted to mockery, which isn't a desirable trait when trying to come across as well reasoned and correct.

In other words, if you're going to make a point, make sure its 1. Correct and 2. Not insulting. Please.

Para

Jun 30, 2012
dogstile said:
Para said:
dogstile said:
Para said:

And that is completely fine. But when you get to saying silly statements like "If I had the schooling I'd release a game with nothing but female character and you know what teh offended menz would be up my ass about not having any male playable characters." you devalue your argument because you've resorted to mockery, which isn't a desirable trait when trying to come across as well reasoned and correct.

In other words, if you're going to make a point, make sure its 1. Correct and 2. Not insulting. Please.
I forgot this in the previous post as well:
1) A lot of those games are Barbie/children?s games...
2) A lot of those games have females that are heavily sexualized to please male audience..did not have women in mind
3) You totally missed the point where Vasquez is one of the main characters and they just blew her off lol.

And furthermore have you ever been a woman/girl playing multi player games over mic? I get nothing but insulted toots. And out of everything I posted you choose what I was actually mocking to try and pick apart my argument? I was simply saying males don't have to go through the discrimination women do. So come back when you've been told to get back in the kitchen when trying to play video games.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Para said:
dogstile said:
Para said:
dogstile said:
Para said:

2) A lot of those games have females that are heavily sexualized to please male audience..did not have women in mind
3) You totally missed the point where Vasquez is one of the main characters and they just blew her off lol.

And furthermore have you ever been a woman/girl playing multi player games over mic? I get nothing but insulted toots. And out of everything I posted you choose what I was actually mocking to try and pick apart my argument?
584 games there. I didn't search very hard, I typed in "games with female leads" onto Google and clicked on the first link. Now the reason I didn't argue the rest of your post was because yes, you have a right to be annoyed. No, that doesn't mean you should do it in quite frankly an insulting way to everyone else, especially when you've just posted "And furthermore have you ever been a woman/girl playing multi player games over mic? I get nothing but insulted toots." in regards to being insulted.

Kahunaburger said:
dogstile said:
you devalue your argument because you've resorted to mockery
What is with this forum and the tone argument? Mocking =/= incorrect.
To you, when did I ever say she was incorrect aside from telling her that guys don't usually complain when you can't play a male character in a game? Because honestly, guys don't do that. You get a couple of extreme cases where an absolute prick will just to get a rise, but to my knowledge, you don't really get a movement towards it.

Aside from that, what's wrong with encouraging a forum where posts are mature and thought out, rather than just a bunch of condescending "well i'm clearly better than you" posts.

Edit: In fact, here's an example. If I posted this

"If I had the time i'd post telling her why she was wrong but teh offendededz womenz would get up my ass about it".

Now isn't that just as insulting as this?

"If I had the schooling I'd release a game with nothing but female character and you know what teh offended menz would be up my ass about not having any male playable characters."

In fact, I think if I used that seriously i'd end up catching a warning for it. Its not cool to mock when people are trying to talk about it nicely.

Now that's the only part of her post I have a problem with. The rest of her argument is her opinion, as much as I hate anyone using that argument to hide behind. I don't have a problem with it, so posts going "why are you picking that out and nothing else" are self explanatory, because why the hell would I argue with something I agree with?

Para

Jun 30, 2012
My friend just sent this to me as well I'll have to ask him for the source:

According to a survey done in 2004 by the Entertainment Software Association, 25 percent of console players and 39 percent of PC game players are women. Also, 40 percent of online game players are women; however, these numbers also include casual games.[21] According to another study conducted by the Entertainment Software Association in 2010, 40% of the game playing population is female, and women 18 or older now comprise 33% of all gamers.

Also, the percentage of women now playing online has risen to 42%, up several percent since 2004. The same study shows that 46% of game purchasers are female (Entertainment Software Association).[22] In recognition of the importance of the issues of women and girls as game developers and players, the International Game Developers Association, an association of companies and individuals in the games industry, has formed a special interest group on Women in Game Development.[23] This is an active field of discussion and a topic in many conferences in the video gaming industry.

Para

Jun 30, 2012
dogstile said:
Para said:
dogstile said:
Para said:
dogstile said:
Para said:

And furthermore have you ever been a woman/girl playing multi player games over mic? I get nothing but insulted toots. And out of everything I posted you choose what I was actually mocking to try and pick apart my argument?
584 games there. I didn't search very hard, I typed in "games with female leads" onto Google and clicked on the first link. Now the reason I didn't argue the rest of your post was because yes, you have a right to be annoyed. No, that doesn't mean you should do it in quite frankly an insulting way to everyone else, especially when you've just posted "And furthermore have you ever been a woman/girl playing multi player games over mic? I get nothing but insulted toots." in regards to being insulted.

Kahunaburger said:
dogstile said:
To you, when did I ever say she was incorrect aside from telling her that guys don't usually complain when you can't play a male character in a game? Because honestly, guys don't do that. You get a couple of extreme cases where an absolute prick will just to get a rise, but to my knowledge, you don't really get a movement towards it.

Aside from that, what's wrong with encouraging a forum where posts are mature and thought out, rather than just a bunch of condescending "well I'm clearly better than you" posts.
Now you're grasping at unicorns. I never said I was better than anyone or implied. I was making a point as the bias in video games is clearly evident. And again if I had been making a serious point do you think I would have spelled "teh" and "menz" in it? No I wouldn't have therefore you can come at from a different angle bro.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
dogstile said:
Aside from that, what's wrong with encouraging a forum where posts are mature and thought out, rather than just a bunch of condescending "well i'm clearly better than you" posts.
Because not saying things that you worry might hurt someone's feelings does not necessarily lead to "mature and well thought out posting." See also: TVTropes forums.

Para

Jun 30, 2012
Alright you ready for the Gordon Freeman Defense?

Half Life 1 & 2 The main protagonist is Gordon Freeman. Fine I don't have a female to play is because the lore the wrote is centered around this particular man. But Valve went that special extra mile and added Gina to HL Source, and the women civilians to HL Deathmatch. So they can add ancillary female characters to their multi player options. So you're telling me Gearbox can't add a main character to theirs?

And again that whole entirely female video game was a stab at the sexism in video games. The both of you need to see past that as I purposely misspelled the words with that intent.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Para said:
dogstile said:
Para said:
dogstile said:
Para said:
dogstile said:
Para said:

Kahunaburger said:
dogstile said:

Aside from that, what's wrong with encouraging a forum where posts are mature and thought out, rather than just a bunch of condescending "well I'm clearly better than you" posts.
Now you're grasping at unicorns. I never said I was better than anyone or implied. I was making a point as the bias in video games is clearly evident. And again if I had been making a serious point do you think I would have spelled "teh" and "menz" in it? No I wouldn't have therefore you can come at from a different angle bro.
Oh for fucks sake. "I never said I was better than anyone or implied." do me a favour and quote where I said that. No, the quote to Kahuna doesn't count because that wasn't me talking about you, that was about the forum in general.

"And again if I had been making a serious point do you think I would have spelled "teh" and "menz" in it? No I wouldn't have therefore you can come at from a different angle bro."

The way it's posted reads like you're preemptively insulting people. Insulting people is something you're arguing against. I'm telling you that's a bad way to argue. NOTHING MORE. No grasping at unicorns, their aren't any.

Kahunaburger said:
dogstile said:
Because "not saying things that you worry might hurt someone's feelings" =/= "mature and well thought out posting." See also: TVTropes forums.
Yeah, but mocking isn't mature. Which was my entire point.